BT internet inredibly slow

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So I recently moved house - called bt and they said sure we an oe the internet to new house - but you have to take out a new contract - which i did (18 months) They said I would get 3-6 bps but I getting less than 1 - Is there anything I can do?

Take your modem connection ( the lead that has the phone connector), unscrew the cover off the wall socket and connect direct to the master plate. ALso note that it can take up to 10-14 days for the exchange and your router to stabalise. This is because if you leave your router on, the exchange will send info to your router until it gets to the highest stable setting it can. If you keep switching it off, then the exchange will think theres something wrong with the connection and drop the speed all the way down to the bare minimum.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

yea I meant mbps not bits . I Have it plugged into the test soket already. They told me that crap about 10 days to stabalize on the phone I dont buy it - I have never had a speed change after time at any other house.

Im not happy paying 46 a month for 60 kbps speed (speedtest says 1.15 mbps but in real ters i an only download at 60 or less KBps)

Doesnt matter if you "buy it" or not. Thats how the system works. Then there are factors such as the internal wiring in your house, length of line from the exchange, possible router outage at the exchange, your mine profile might need editing, are you on PPoA/E or LLU etc etc.

Each connection is much different from another.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I mean line profile. PPPOA etc is Point to Point Protocol over ATM. Basically the encapsulation method ISP's use to send data. Some use LLU (Local Loop unbundling). Depending in the ISP, it could be cheaper for them to use a specific encapsulation method, but it can also make the line a lot less stable.

My advice would be to keep the router switched on and connected for a minimum of 10 days ( the computer doesnt need to be connected or switched on), and if your connection isnt steady by then, give your ISP a call and ask them to check your profile. Usually with errors, they just need to hardcap the line at a lower speed so its stable, then gradually increase it.