• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HBOS Mortgage - MCOB claim?? Incorrect advice? Fairness?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have given the quantum issue some thought. If it was me, I would claim unspecified damages capped at 10k (excluding interest and costs) to ensure small claims track. I imagine there will be an argument about the level of damages further down the line. But I don't think it should go in the POC unless you have a clear basis for putting a figure on the amount.

If you have time on your side you could start by issuing a claim about non-compliance with the SAR ... but this will require a lot of patience and such claims have been heavily resisted by the courts, on the basis that the DPA was intended to help people monitor the compliance of data controllers with the DPA rather than provide documents for use in litigation. If it was me I would wait and seek disclosure of the documents you are after at the disclosure stage of the litigation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning steampowered,

Thanks, I think you're right, that's what I'll do, the complaint was lodged with the FOS on Friday. Apparently it's taking them about 5 weeks to get an adjudicator to look at them so I'll wait at least for that, I know I can take it right through the process but I have little faith in the FOS.

Re the SAR, I phoned them on Thursday to see what was going on and why they were ignoring my letters, they just said they were so busy, apparently someone called Debbie would be coming in over the weekend to carry out the work for the request although they told me there's no time limit for further requests. Again I have lodged a complaint with the ICO about 2/3 weeks ago so will see what they say. I would happily lodge a claim for failure to disclose on the SAR though, because I'm sure they'll rely on that info in court.

But yes I'll wait for disclosure through that process rather than lodge.

Cheers

Oli

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Hello all,

Lets say that the FOS don't uphold my complaint (just because I have no faith).

I just want to understand my legal options, can I bring court action in breach of MCOB rules? Or would I bring a breach of contract claim? How would you sue for receiving incorrect mortgage advice and unfair treatment? Which legal avenues would apply?

Cheers

Oli

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

In my experience the FOS does uphold a lot of these complaints. The problem is that they are badly under-staffed so the process takes absolutely ages, at one time it was taking two years to resolve complaints. The other problem is that their decisions can be unpredictable.

A bad FOS decision would not stop you from bringing court proceedings. However I think any FOS decision would be looked at by the court judge and may be persuasive. As a general rule, judges are used to dealing with more black-and-white legal issues and are not that comfortable dealing with BCOBS/MCOBS. Many judges may defer to the FOS if it has already made a decision on an MCOBS issue.

Legally, my understanding is that you can bring a court claim for breach of MCOBS under s150 Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. The judge would expect you to point towards the specific rules which have been breached and, if possible, identify the specific losses you have suffered as a result of that breach. I'm afraid I can't see any breach of contract claim. There is a possible misrepresentation claim.

My guess is that you would have a better chance of success with the FOS and it would certainly involve a lot less work from you than a court claim ... but it would be a very slow process and any compensation would probably be quite small. Bringing a case like this in small claims would be time-consuming, but it would go relatively fast and does have a very high nuisance value for the bank as legal representation is expensive and they are unlikely to be able to recover any costs from you even if they win ... assuming you put in the time to run the claim properly.

Hi Steampowered,

Well hopefully they will uphold this one, to be honest, the compensation isn't what I'm looking for it means more to me that they remove the arrears from credit file and remove my ex from the mortgage given the only thing holding us up was the mortgage arrears.

I don't know if they will but hey you don't ask you don't get.

They responded to my LBA today, despite asking for disclosure of documents they've just responded saying "you've exhausted complaints procedure we won't respond further".

I guess its over to the FOS now, they've had the complaint a week. The thing is I don't mind the FOS looking at it (despite me wanting it sorted asap) as long as they actually look at it properly.

Oli

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Today I have received the response from the FOS - I am entirely deflated by it and really could do with some support and guidance.

Effectively they are saying;

1. We agree you should not have been told that you could take a payment holiday but your offer does explain that you would need to "apply" for one in any event, therefore you have not been entirely misled.

2. Having seen Halifax's notes (they have never provided these through SAR despite asking 4 times for them) I can see you confirmed your income had reduced and hence why you wanted a payment holiday. Because you couldn't apply for a payment holiday you agreed to a nil payment arrangement.

They aren't agreeing to uphold my complaint and believe that £100 is fair compensation for the incorrect advice that led me to take my decision to take a mortgage!

They have totally ignored the fact that the Halifax website clearly says

Payment holidays are available for a variety of reasons usually to assist with a temporary change to your circumstances, like a change in employment or unexpected or unforeseen vehicle or household expenditure.
. I told Halifax that I had a change in job and that I would like to take a payment holiday and that this was temporary, how is this financial difficulty?! And yes if I hadn't taken one I would have ended up in difficulty otherwise why would I need to take a payment holiday?! (sorry am getting a bit irate now).

I attach the FOS letter for comment here[ATTACH=CONFIG]46926[/ATTACH]

My main beef is that we took a decision based on the e-mail here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?392530-MCOB-claim-Incorrect-advice-Fairness&p=4294948&viewfull=1#post4294948 at a fixed rate. That was the sole reason we took it because they clarified the issue for us, in terms of risk we weighed up security over interest rate and decided to go with the higher rate because of their e-mail. We have lost out because obviously interest rates dropped so considerably during the fixed rate, only to be told that we couldn't take a payment holiday in the end anyway.

Any advice and emotional support gratefully received :sad:

Cheers

This is an adjudicator decision - you have the option to request escalation to the Ombudsman. IMHO, this is what I would do.

If you believe the adjudicator has not taken certain information into account, you should restate this.

It took me nearly 3 years for a satisfactory decision from the FOS, but persistence nearly always pays off.

If it appears that information has been provided to the FOS that was missing from your SAR, then you can ask the bank to provide that to you. Advise that it has come to your attention that they have this information and you want to know on what grounds they suppressed it from your legitimate DPA request.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CitizenB,

I've written to Halifax as suggested yesterday with basically a LBA around DPA compliance, I have also sent a copy to ICO as there is an open file on the issue with them. Apparently when I called ICO they said Halifax responded to DPA breach last week so someone from ICO would be writing to me soon, hopefully my other letter will help the ICO make a decision, while I know the ICO won't do anything I feel their letter would make Halifax look silly in court if this ended up there.

I've also contacted the adjudicator and said I haven't been provided with the full facts and I am unable to respond to her on the matter until Halifax comply with my original SAR and subsequent letters sent since 6 May.

Thanks for your support.

If you obtain a positive decision from the ICO that would be very good indeed. Especially if you later have to make a claim via the county court.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi,

I want to prepare a claim in the County Court for DPA breach from Halifax. They've ignored my latest letter (I realise it was only recently sent) but this is my 6th letter to them sent recorded delivery and they've failed to respond.

The FOS have said they won't get involved in the issue and if I can't provide the evidence I've asked Halifax to provide by 29 October they will close my file, all is not lost because they'll consider any new information when I send it in.

The ICO are likely to respond to me within 14 days about my complaint but I'd still like to prepare County Court action because I feel they're taking the michael now.

I had found template POC's for DPA failure to disclose on here but I can't find them now, could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

And also what's the fee? Is it £175? As a non-money County Court claim? http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex050-eng.pdf

Please think very carefully because you issue a claim asking the court to order the bank to comply with the DSAR. As this is a non-money remedy it would normally be a Part 8 claim and not small claims track, which means you will be liable for the bank's legal costs if you lose. These could easily be thousands of pounds.

That is what happened in this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?386041-Wandered-into-court-costs-minefield

I should also add that the DPA case law generally speaking is very hostile to people using the DPA to get documents for use in litigation, on the basis that the DPA was designed to help people protect their privacy not to circumvent the normal litigation disclosure process, so there is no guarantee of success.

The better alternative would be to issue a claim for financial damages below 10k to ensure SCT. But difficult to see what damages you have suffered here? I think you would at least need a clear idea of what specific documents you are hoping to obtain.

Hi steam powered,

Thanks, I've reconsidered and actually after re-reading the thread I'd overlooked of course I can ask for disclosure if they fail to disclose now during the court process if it ends up there. Thanks for explaining it, its just frustrating that they are being so difficult although I would hope if the ICO agrees with me a judge wouldn't look overly favourably on them.

No worries. I wish there was an easier way to enforce the DPA through the courts.

Just a thought - have you tried issuing the DSAR to Halifax's DSAR team? It may be that you will be able to get something by sending your DSAR to that team, even if the complaints team won't talk to you.

DSAR Team

10 Carlton Street

halifaxlink3.gif

HX1 2AL

Yeah it is annoying but with the delay I guess it means I can focus on other things. The ICO (I'm surprised) have been very helpful on a number of issues lately.

Yeah I've been sending things to the DSAR Team, not at that address but at their PO Box address. I did call once back in August and they said they were bogged down with PPI SARs so were majorly behind.

Hello all,

Just a thought.

The FOS have said I wouldn't have got a payment holiday because of my circumstances. They've based their assessment on the notes of a call which reads 'reason for request - reduction in income'. They say that because of that I'd never have been able to get a holiday.

The Halifax website even today says that you can take one if 'you have a reduction in income'.

The FOS say Halifax set the criteria, am I going mad but wouldn't it be sensible to say that the website gives a good impression of that criteria or certainly would support my request.

Can I get their criteria? Or is that a red herring do you think?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?208966-Me-and-Them-SAR-non-compliance-claim.-**SUCCESS**&highlight=SUCCESS

orforster, did you read the thread linked above ?

It was a claim for non compliance of DSAR. FUAFB won her claim. It was issued as a (part 7) money claim.

I think FUAFB was incredibly lucky with the 2 x Judges who heard the Claim/SJ hearings and I believe it was prior to people issuing claims for copies of agreements and other stuff required for litigation. But.. it might give you some ideas..

BCOBS

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know the ICO have now held that it is unlikely that Halifax have complied with the DPA for failing to provide information and note that they have still failed to comply.

I have raised a separate complaint with Halifax and received an acknowledgement today, I am also sending another reminder to them tomorrow requesting the data or confirmation that it isn't held.

I think if I don't receive it by the end of the year I'll be forced to request an order from the court.....I don't see I have any other option, I've sent them so many reminders now. The FOS have told me Halifax are in receipt of my request.

Incase I haven't clarified this, I am asking for copies of calls taken back in November last year when I requested a payment holiday. Halifax said they don't store calls by calls history on a customers file nor are they searchable by name or account number so you need the name, time, call id of the person taking the call which is only located in the note (notes which were not ever disclosed to me but only disclosed to the FOS which is where I got the details).

So back in mid October I requested the calls, its possible they don't have the calls.

The reason I'm requesting the calls is because the bank have noted on the call "customer has reduction in income" which has resulted in the FOS saying I was in difficulty, obviously within the call I explained in much more detail the reason for this being temporary and why I wanted a payment holiday, I even said I'd pay it back in full by May/June 13 which is exactly what I did.

Also on another note, my activism within me is telling me to have a t-shirt made up and stand outside the local branch surveying passers by/customers whether they believe its fair that Halifax provided misleading advice, broke a promise and have offered no resolution.

I did this for my grandparents last year when Benson 4 Beds failed to replace a faulty bed which they said was ok, it worked really well! I had a settlement within an hour!

Lol - maybe a bit much at the minute.........

• 1 month later...

I raised a complaint re the DPA non-compliance with the CEO of Lloyds Banking Group - I had a response from their Executive Office saying they were sorry they couldn't agree with my complaint that they have breached the DPA.

They say they complied with the initial sar only 14 days late.....this despite the fact that specific information I requested in my letter of 6 May 2013 has TO DATE still not been provided.

They have given me £250 compensation.

Apparently they are trying to provide the data I requested and told me they would make this a priority (17 December), this information is quite crucial to my complaint about them.

I need to fully research taking a claim against them with a bid to getting an order for them to comply. I can't believe that they have received all of my letters asking for this since May in June, July, September, October, November and December but they still haven't provided the information.

Surely a court would side with me if I brought a claim on the basis that they have failed to comply?

Surely a court would side with me if I brought a claim on the basis that they have failed to comply?

Perhaps but this kind of claim can be risky for the reasons given above. If they have said they are looking for the information it is best to wait if at all possible.Do try to keep the ICO involved to add pressure if you can.

• 5 months later...

Ok, I have now had enough of the Halifax on this.

Summary of claim;

Joint mortgage - only I want to sue though

Incorrect advice given by email in July 2008 by mortgage advisor.

Question is can I bring a claim myself although its a joint mortgage? Also would this be under professional negligence or breach of contract? The words professional negligence are a bit scary and the pre-action conduct looks a lot more intensive and ideally I want this to stay in the small claims court.

I wonder if you might need a waiver from the other party to the contract, Orforster ? I will ask for you.

BCOBS

With something like a mortgage both borrowers are jointly liable for the full amount, so I would think it is fine to sue in your own name.

This is breach of contract and/or misrepresentation and/or a claim under finanncial services legislation for breach of regulations, not professional negligence. You should be using the general pre-action protocol (Annex A).

Have you suffered any financial loss as a result of this? I don't think a court claim would achieve getting your ex off the mortgage.

With something like a mortgage both borrowers are jointly liable for the full amount, so I would think it is fine to sue in your own name.

This is breach of contract and/or misrepresentation and/or a claim under finanncial services legislation for breach of regulations, not professional negligence. You should be using the general pre-action protocol (Annex A).

Have you suffered any financial loss as a result of this? I don't think a court claim would achieve getting your ex off the mortgage.

Morning, great, thanks.

Yes, the loss being claimed is the fact we made a decision to fix the mortgage rate at that time based on what the advisor told us, that was a higher rate. Had we been told the truth we would have stayed on a standard rate so to be able to change if we found a better provider.

We fixed for 5 years thinking we had the security if that makes sense so the interest adds up, that's essentially the claim I'd bring. I can get my ex taken off soon anyway because of the length of time passed.

• dx100uk changed the title to HBOS Mortgage - MCOB claim?? Incorrect advice? Fairness?