Quote for Gas pipe work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope I've posted this in the right place and someone can advise me.

Last year on my annual gas check, a leak was detected so the independant contractor capped my supply to the gas hob and fire. I finally got a quote for the work last month and this was based on replacing the pipework to both appliances - seemed reasonable so I agreed to the work being done. When the guys turned up they found the leak was in the actual gas fire so the pipework there didn't need to be replaced (which was the awkward bit of the job) - the hob pipework was replaced as it was apparently illegal.

Finally got the bill last week and I have been charged the full quote, which doesn't seem right as it was lot less of a job than I was quoted for. Can I challenge them on this or was me agreeing to the quote a binding contract that I would pay £x regardless of the amount of work involved?

Any advice gratefully received.:-)

Thanks

If the quote detailed the work and different work was done then you wouldn't normally be bound. Instead in the absence of any agreement on price you would be required to pay a reasonable price

15 Implied term about consideration.(1)Where, under a contract for the supply of a service, the consideration for the service is not determined by the contract, left to be determined in a manner agreed by the contract or determined by the course of dealing between the parties, there is an implied term that the party contracting with the supplier will pay a reasonable charge.

(2)What is a reasonable charge is a question of fact

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/29

Cheers for the advice - does say on the quote for the replacement of pipework to both appliances, still got a copy of it - it's a bit light on detail re breakdown of labour and parts. Will give them a ring tomorrow and see if we can come to some agreement about a reasonable cost - fingers crossed:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - rang the company last week and surprisingly was quite straightforward - no arguments though I'm glad I got the info and now know the difference between a quote and estimate. New bill this week for less than I was expecting so really pleased with the outcome. Thanks for the advice.