Partner moved out - what to do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, firstly, apologies if this has been covered before!

I have just under 6 months left on a 12 month private tenancy agreement and have split with my partner who has left the flat and moved on without contributing anything towards the rent/bills etc. My question is whether or not I can go after her for half of everything (or at least a partial amount)?

The complication comes because when we first separated I tried to do the right/honourable thing and said that I would pay everything solo so that she could get on with her life. Now it has become apparent that I should have asked her to still pay towards everything but she claims that due to our earlier discussions (and some texts I sent to her at the time) that I won't be able to make her stump up one penny.

Any advice that people can give? I feel like I'm a bit of a catch 22 - either I leave the flat early, risk being fined and having to sort everything out, or I continue to pay everything on my own and potentially run myself into debt.

Help!

Did the AST list you both as tenants eg Mr Smith & Ms Jones?

Was AST in writing?

LL can pusue anyone who is 'solely & severally liable' for full rent and you are the easy target.

Bit harsh expecting partner to continue to share ongoing r utilities that only you are now using.

Have you contacted LL to explain your situation and perhaps request permission to take in a lodger to help you meet your full rent liability and future bills. A leaseholder/T can take in a lodger without LL consent, but it is courtesy to ask. Lodger would be your resp, not the LLs, so choose wisely.

You may even qualify for tax free, rent a room scheme if your lodger rent is below ~£4500 pa