Vanquis attack on my credit rating

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I never have liked direct debits. I prefer to make payments when it's convenient for me.

Unfortunately my system came a bit unstuck a couple of months ago as I realised I was late in making a payment to Vanquis for my credit card bill.

I immediately sent 2 months worth of payments but by then it was too late. They had recoreded a late/missed payment on my credit file which saw my already not brilliant credit score plummit even further.

I wrote to them explaining that recording this default on my credit file is telling other companies that I may be or about to be in finacial hardship & that was the prime reason for recording a default whereas the reason I was late in making the payment was pure oversight. I pointed out that I've been with them for a number of years, never missed any payments, have received numerous limit rises & have generally been very well behaved.

Unfortunately they were unmoved & their reply simply put was that they were entitled to screw with my file & felt that it was the right thing to do.

Now, I'm not disputing my late payment & the fact that yes, they are entitle to sabotage my credit file but I really don't think it was the right thing to do at all. I can point out that I received no reminders but that is beside the point. It was my own fault. I can't see how I can convince them to change their minds.

I'm more annoyed with myself as I was improving my rating slowly after years of being classed as a bad risk so I guess I'm just venting.

I'm now trying to raise enough funds with which to pay off my balance then I won't need to contribute to their profits or deal with them ever again.

Rant over :mad2:

Late payment markers are NOT defaults.

What you need to do is make a Formal Complaint to Vanquis, I suggest addressing it to the Data Controller, base it on the fact you immediately remedied the late payment as soon as possible.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for the reply.

My apologies. Of course late payment markers are not defaults. Bad choice of wording.

The letter I received was from a "customer action team representative" who asked me to write back to her if I wanted "clarification" but I will indeed follow your advice & address my reply to the data controller.

Thanks again.

Yes always avoid the customer (dis) service teams especially with banks, CC providers, and DCAs, their sole function is to prevent customers actually getting to someone with authority to make a decision imo.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I've just checked my records & the due date of the payment that was late was 21st Feb. The min payment was £22. I sent a payment of £80 which was confirmed as received by Vanquis on 28th Feb which was when I realised my error. A little bit of a hair trigger I'd say.

I'm coming to believe this lot are the Ryanair of Credit Card companies. Maybe that's unfair on Ryanair though.

I'll send the letter of complaint tomorrow. I just hope it gets to someone who can see how silly this is.

The Formal Complaint course is the way forward of that I'm sure.

I would certainly prepare a complaint to FOS so as to be ready to go if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update to my situation.

I received what looks like a stock "your complaint is being passed to the relevant dept" letter in reply to my formal complaint.

I'll update the thread on receipt of their reply.

Cheers.

Just an update to my situation.

I received what looks like a stock "your complaint is being passed to the relevant dept" letter in reply to my formal complaint.

I'll update the thread on receipt of their reply.

Cheers.

I'm looking forward to their response.

• 1 month later...
Oddly enough I've still not received any answer from Vanquis.

I've sent a complaint to FOS so I will be hearing something soon - I hope.

They are notoriously slow:!:

In fact you might even receive a response from Vanquis before you receive one from the FOS !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

In fact you might even receive a response from Vanquis before you receive one from the FOS !!

It'll be a close one:jaw:

Ok, I'm getting the idea. I wont hold my breath then.

Could be fatal with this mob:!: