Jump to content

HELP! Council accusing me of STARRING IN A FILM whilst on JSA and claiming C.Tax Benefit


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Cut a long story short I had an interview under caution as I was being accused of claiming benefits I was not entitled to namely Council Tax.


I was off work for 6 months and on ESA benefits & council tax, but went back to work on a part-time restricted hours basis. DWP said I was entitled to the benefits as my hours were low - but I stopped claiming ESA.


I was then made unfairly redundant and received no pay from my employer for 5 months and claimed JSA as I was unemployed.


I told the Council Fraud squad this, and they accepted it was not fraud, but wanted all the money back + 30% which I paid in instalments. But they included the 5 month JSA period, They never supplied me a breakdown of how they arrived at the figure which was a whopping £2,350.00 - when I questioned this figure and found they had overcharged me by £234.00 + the £70 for the 30% overcharge they said:


" You were working as a teacher and claiming JSA and STARRING IN A FILM!!!' - What the hell?

When I asked them where they got this info from I got no response, I kept writing to them, they sent me a letter 3 months later saying"


"You have taken too long to query this and we will not reinvestigate"

Followed by "You have 14 days to pay in full or a summons will be sent and you will have to pay an extra £100 + a WHOLE YEAR'S COUNCIL TAX UP FRONT' in a magistrates' court



I'm very good at maths - and they actually owe me £70 due to the fine being disproportionate.


If it goes to court surely they have to evidence their accusation yes?


If anyone has any good advice - I would appreciate it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this DWP Subject Access Request form will be of use to you its in PDF:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...