• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why the war between drivers and cyclists?

NewsBot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I saw this and my thought is that there is not a war as such - most drivers and cyclists co-exist well but there is a minority who go looking for conflict. I have had this from cyclists and have seen it from drivers (I do not cycle).

Lets all just take care and be safe out there.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw this and my thought is that there is not a war as such - most drivers and cyclists co-exist well but there is a minority who go looking for conflict. I have had this from cyclists and have seen it from drivers (I do not cycle).

Lets all just take care and be safe out there.

In my experience, a lot of people have a vendetta against each other because there aren't very many rules and regulations allowing the two to co-exist peacefully. You have the basic cycling rules that you might learn as there isn't anything mandatory about it (and I've yet to see a cop enforce it) and the cars are simply taught the standard driving policies. I had a look at a driving lesson manual a few months back and out of 70+ pages, there were 2 pages about what to do when there are bicycles on the road.

Some dedication to making the two meld together with rules that everyone is made aware of would go a long way, I think. I'd hate to say there should be a cycling license but maybe some form of mandatory reading so you know how to function around vehicular traffic.

And of course, you have road rage. It's much easier to hit a bike and get away without a dent than if you were to hit another vehicle.

• 2 months later...

I live in Oxford. The only law breaking I see every single day, all day, and usually within 10 secs of leaving my front door is from cyclists.

They cycle on the pavement - even when is says "cyclists dismount"

They cycle without lights at night

They ride through red lights

They do not stop at pedestrian crossings

They do not look where they are going

They do not signal their intentions, or if they its as they do it or after, not before

They cycle with headphones in

They cycle and phone or text

They cycle without holding the handlebars

They cycle the wrong way up one way streets

They even cycle the wrong way up normal streets

They cycle on busy roads when there is a cycle path

They undertake on your nearside when you are turning left, and signalling.

If there is an accident it is ALWAYS the car driver`s fault

The police ignore all of the above, except for 1 evening a year when they check lights and ask them nicely to buy some sometime.

If the police inforced the law and cyclists rode correctly we`d all get along a lot better

You get the same sort of thing with motorists too chris. Never generalise people when you are entering a discussion.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

We live down country lanes and what really annoys me is cyclist that ride two abreast making it almost impossible to pass them even though they are aware of your presence. Yesterday while driving around Worcester I saw a cyclist come up to a red light and without even checking, he proceeded against the red light! It is a minority of cyclists that give the others a bad name.

It's not just drivers and cyclists. I'm a runner and have had a few problems with cyclist. But the majority are decent. Out running one day and had a few cyclists wanting to pass; so they sounded their bells, I stepped to one side, let them pass and they shouted thank you. :) Have encountered a cyclist wearing just black on a dark winters evening and nearly ran into him. He had no lights on either.

And don't get me started on cyclists and red lights... (again, a minority)

Why the antipathy between motorists and cyclists?

I reckon it has much to do with motorists paying their 'Road Tax' and not liking having to do it.

(The ones that do pay it, anyway..)

Some of them seem to think that paying their 'Duty' gives them 'ownership' and 'rights' not available to those who don't pay. Cyclists, pedestrians, etc. Motorists have a place on the road, but that does not give them the right to intimidate and harass cyclists who are so vulnerable to cars used as weapons. As a life-long cyclist (and motorist) I see this attitude frequently, even in a sleepy city such as Gloucester.

I don't know any examples of cyclists exhibiting 'road-rage'. But check Youtube for countless examples of motorists getting angry with cyclists. In extremis sometimes. A car can be a dangerous weapon in a frustrated drivers hands. A bicycle can't.

The cyclist jumping red lights is no reason to get angry with other cyclists. Cars do it frequently where I live, speeding over amber lights is the 'norm' to avoid stopping, putting me on my bicycle in danger when they do.

Respect and patience is needed on all our roads, whether cyclists or motorists.

We need to 'get a grip' on this one.

John.

Nah. The main reason is that they are in a car, so they feel they have some kind of power over other road users. Same as 'some' HGV drivers who try and bully other motorists out of the way.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Lack of compliance with the highway code by both,I hit a cyclist going to work one winters morning,dark raining etc.Actually the cyclist hit the side of my car ,I hadn't seen him .The police came and I was informed that he was wearing a high vis vest underneath his black coat .He was displaying no lights .I also cycle and have been knocked off my bike by a car door opening on a car as I passed by it.

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

• 1 month later...

There are a-holes everywhere, judging all others by the sort of transport they use is ridiculous.

I do 'get' the argument over road tax however 99% of cyclists over 17 are car owners too so it's all a bit silly frankly, even then I only pay £20 for my little car nowadays although I used to pay silly money for my Audi TT a few years back!

Most of the 'real rants' about cyclists seem to be in areas where there are loads like London or Oxford or Cambridge.

Just the same as you'd get loads of complaints about other car drivers in the same areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Cycling where I am (in Norfolk) isn't too bad, although this is mostly a rural area. I've travelled on fast A & B roads without any issues. It's making sure you're seen, and asserting yourself (i.e. don't ride in the gutters) so that vehicles see you as part of the traffic.

Yesterday I was waiting to turn right into a side road. I was in the centre of quite a wide road, and traffic going straight ahead could pass on my left easily. There was oncoming traffic so I waited for it to pass and started my turn. At that moment a cyclist coming up behind me at great speed decided to turn right on my right (driver's) side, so he was cutting round inside me as I turned. He didn't slow down at all as he came up, just carved round. I braked and just missed him. As I yelled at him, "Are you trying to get killed." What a complete fool. They never want to slow down for anything or anyone. And doubtless if I had hit him I would have been blamed.

The other cyclist was clearly taking advantage of the opening set for yourself.

In similar scenarios to the one you described, I usually wait in the middle of my side (primary position). This stops motorists trying to nudge pass (ofter precariously) on your left-hand side. This forces traffic to stop behind you and wait until you turn (just like any other vehicle).

Hi Farbramble,

The road is wide enough for motorists, even in quite large vans, to pass easily on the left side. This idiot just came up behind in that moving traffic, shot diagonally across the back of me and turned inside me as I turned. He was racing and he didn't want to stop. Then they wonder why they get knocked off!

DD

That reminds me. I need to get my bike out of the garage and give it a full rebuild soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Most cyclists do things wrong. Most drivers do things wrong, most in my experience exceed the speed limit at some point.

Really? Have you any stats to back this up?

I see more cyclists flouting the law on a regular basis than I do motorists. Yes, there are those motorists that break the speed limit and your'e probably quite right, most will break that one particular law at some point. BUT, I doubt that there are that many (when compared to cyclists) who jump red lights, travel the wrong way down one-way streets, ride along pavements and pedestrian areas where signs say it is prohibited.... etc etc.

I was recently almost hit from behind in Regent Street, Gt Yarmouth (which is pedestrianized) by a cyclist, despite there being 'cycling prohibited' signs along there.

I am both a cyclust and a driver. Here are a few examples of drivers doing things wrong. Exceeding the speedlimit, hogging the middle lane, undertaking, pulling out of a junction causing another driver to brake, parking in cycle lane, driving in cycle lanes. Every single one of those causes a hazzard and potential danger. As a cyclist you need to be far more aware of the dangers and I agree that if cycling is prohibitted a cyclust should get off their bike there is at least one road in birmingham which is one way for cars but two way for cyclists.

You have admitted that in yoyr opinion most drivers break the speed limit at one point or snother then have the cheek to ask me to back up my claim that most drivers do things wrong.

Cyclists should show respect for drivers but drivers with their greater ability to maim and kill should also show respect to cyclists

Cyclists in London have been given too much importance and they feel cocky about it.

The other night I was on the Embankment which has been reduced to one lane to accomodate that stupid Boris blue cycle lane.

The traffic was horrendous and the cycle lane virtually empty.

No wonder why motorists are upset.

I am both a cyclust and a driver. Here are a few examples of drivers doing things wrong. Exceeding the speedlimit, hogging the middle lane, undertaking, pulling out of a junction causing another driver to brake, parking in cycle lane, driving in cycle lanes. Every single one of those causes a hazzard and potential danger. As a cyclist you need to be far more aware of the dangers and I agree that if cycling is prohibitted a cyclust should get off their bike there is at least one road in birmingham which is one way for cars but two way for cyclists.

You have admitted that in yoyr opinion most drivers break the speed limit at one point or snother then have the cheek to ask me to back up my claim that most drivers do things wrong.

Cyclists should show respect for drivers but drivers with their greater ability to maim and kill should also show respect to cyclists

Too right because your claim is ridiculous without proof. Your are saying that the majority of drivers "do things wrong". And apart from speeding once in a while, I seriously disagree but if you have the stats to back up your comment then feel free to prove me wrong.

Also, if we are going to compare the two modes of transport, then it maybe a good idea to stick to offences that both are able to commit so the comparison is on an equal footing. For example, you mention motorists "hogging the middle lane". And although that is one of my top hates, you cannot use that particular example against a cyclist because they can't realistically commit the same offence.

Stick to offences like jumping red lights, riding at night without lights, one way street offences and riding through pedestrian areas when prohibited. "Most drivers" do not commit these offences as you seem to be claiming.