• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hillesden Securities Ltd / Direct Legal & Collections / Aplins Solicitors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been getting letters (demands) from Hillesden Securities in respect of a debt that I have no knowledge of, because they don't tell you who the 'original' debtor is.

Then I start getting letters from Direct Legal & Collections. The last one was dated 22 April 2013.

Dear Mr ######

dlc Ref: ####/###########

Client: Hillesden Securities Ltd

Agreement no: #########

We wrote to you recently regarding the outstanding balance and note that you are yet to respond.

We have considered the options available to us in seeking recovery of teh balance. in view of your failure to co-operate we see no alternative but to refer the matter to our Solicitors with a view to you being summoned to Court to provide information to your financial means. This will incur further costs.

If you wish to avoid the above course of action you should contact our office on 01280 707575 to discuss repayment of the balance.

Your sincerely

Litigation Department

direct legal & connections

Then, within a month, there was this from Aplins Solicitors....

16 May 2013

Our ref: ####/###########

Dear Sir/Madam

Client: Hillesden Securities Ltd

Court: Chester

Claim No: 7CH02461

Balance Outstanding: £650.29

You have not made payment under this Judgement and we are applying to have you brought before your local Court to be examined on Oath as to the reason for non-payment plus detailed information of your income, assets, outgoings and overall finacial situation.

This will involve a Court Fee of £50.00 which will be added to teh debt and will be payable by you.

If you fail to attend the Court Hearing a Committal Warrant could be issued for your arrest.

If you wish to avoid this you must take immeadiate action and contact our instructing agents (direct legal & collections, Buckingham Road, Brackley, Northants, NN13 7DN, Tel: 0844 980 0184) to make a payment or reach agreement.

Yours faithfully

Aplins

Now, I've been a stupid 'head in the sand' person, but is it too late to send a CCA letter, and request a copy of paperwork bearing my signature? If they've got it, it may actually shed some light on what debt this is.

But I don't understand what the 'Aplins' letter refers to as "this Judgement" , has this been before a County Court without my knowledge, and has there been a decision that I've not been informed of, or is it just wording designed to 'scare'?

Hi,

have you moved home in the past couple of years? Could a summons have been sent to a 'previous' address and default judgement obtained without your knowledge? The Aplins letter does seem to suggest a claim number.

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Hi It would seem you have been subject to a county court claim and have no a judgement by default against you.

You need to check Trust Online to see if the judgement shows on there.

Check your credit reference files as well.

I would reply to the letter (s) as follows.

Ref: Use theirs.

Sir/Madam,

I refer to your letter dated xx xx xxxx regarding an alleged debt for £xxxx.xx Please take note I do not acknowledge any such debt and have no knowledge of any County Court Judgement, it is noted the name of the creditor/claimant is not mentioned in the letter, therefore you WILL clarify this by return of post until you do so no further correspondence will be entered into.

Use recorded delivery.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Bet the court claim wasn't though. You need to check.

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Hi It would seem you have been subject to a county court claim and have no a judgement by default against you.

You need to check Trust Online to see if the judgement shows on there.

Check your credit reference files as well.

What's Trust Online? Is there a link off this site?

Are you still in the same area approximately? You could go to the Local CC with the claim No. to see what it's all about.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Trust on Line records all CCJs registered just put it into your browser there is a fee to pay.

Right, as the Aplins letter states Chester, I limited the search to "England and Wales Orders and Judgments".

The response was "NOTHING REGISTERED"

EDIT: should add, I enquired under my current address. Should I enquire under my previous address?

In that case you need to write to Aplins asking them to produce a copy of the judgement order as you have no knowledge of any such claim. Send by recorded delivery and make sure you print off the signature receipt from the royalmail website a few days after posting.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

get your cra file

ensure all your old addresses show

if the ccj is not on there.

then they are phishing.

sadly I've seen the exact letters and 'chain' sent to several people

all turned out to be 'admin errors'

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My guess is they have acquired a very old debt with a CCJ on it, the judgement may well be 6 years or more old in which case the will need leave of the court to enforce it.

CRA done via checkmyfile, which seems to colate information from Equifax. Experian, and Callcredit. (According to this, my credit ratings OK!)

No debts were listed apart from my recent mobile phone bill.

Court Judgments and Decrees - none listed

Insolvancy Records - No insolvencies

CIFAS Warnings - none reported

(interestingly, it threw up a dodgy address on the other side of the country!)

So, which way should I take this now? CCA them and question their right to claim against me based on possesion of paperwork? Refute any knowledge of it? Or tell them to "do one"?

The problem with sites like checkmyfile is that the data is 2nd hand and may well be out of date, so please don't rely too much on this.

What you have said it exactly what you need to do.

get one of the others EQ or CE

they are free too as long as you cancel within 30days

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

anyway, revisiting this.....

i cca'd aplins, as that was the last communication, and baring in mind they stated they were applying to have me brought before a court.

i've since had a 'holding' reply.....from dl&c.

We acknowledge receipt of the £1-00 fee accompanying your request for documentation under the Credit Consumer Act 1974.

We have filed a request with the original lender, Black Horse Ltd, for the documentation which will be sent to you once received in our offices. In teh interim, your account will be placed on hold.

In the event that we are not able to provide you with a copy of the original agreement we will supply a reconstituted copy which satisfies the requirements of the Act.

Should you require anything further at this point contact us accordingly. We will update you on developments in 21 days if there are no developments beforehand.

Your sincerley

Litigation Department

direct legal & collection

So, while it was clear that they were 'blagging' the court threat,you're going to need the paperwork for it and they've admitted to not being in possession of the paperwork, what is a "reconstituted copy"?

Am I reading it right that they are 'going to make one up', and does the Act permit this?

The received the CCA letter on 28 May (according to royalmail.com), which makes the twelth working day Weds 12 June. Do I need to leave it another two days before the follow up letter, or can I bang that in the post on Thursday?

if its a pre 2007 cca they cant use a recon to goto court

dx

and they

nail this for once and all

phone chester court tomorrow

quote the claim number aplins gave

see if they have a record.

dx

and they

right, i know what it is now.

dlc have come back with a 'statement', and a photocopy of the 'agreement' (dated 12/09/05). the photocopy has my signature on it, twice, which are slightly different in handwriting.

as i'm out of work, and have been for three years, and only receive £71pw jsa, do you think letter K "Ask your Creditor to Write off your Debt - Due to Financial Hardship" is worth a try?

Edited by yogz66

right, i know what it is now.

dlc have come back with a 'statement', and a photocopy of the 'agreement' (dated 12/09/05). the photocopy has my signature on it, twice.

In the same sig box?

What info do you have on this warranty sounds a bit suspect.

so atleast PPI to reclaim then.

dx

and they

What info do you have on this warranty sounds a bit suspect.

I wish to purchase Furniture Protection Warranty

I understand that I am purchasing the product(s) ticked above on credit provided by you and that the terms relating to the the credit for the product(s) can be found in each of the terms in this agreement.

as i'm currently out of work, would letter K be an idea?