Car Wrote off by ins co and offering low amount to replace?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for some advise here please on the following problem i have.

My car has been flood damaged and recently wrote of by my car ins as a Cat B. The car is a 2006 (56) plate Zafira 2.0T Design model done 67k in mint condition with recent bills for £2500 spent on engine work etc, I have looked around for these for sale online and there are only 6 on the auto trader in the design trim, others are Sri which my ins are totalyl dismissing as i have the design model not the Sri ....

The 6 cars i have seen are :

07 plate with 61k at £3995 private seller 63 miles away

56 plate with 65k at £4750 private seller 70 miles away

57 plate with 38k at £4795 trade seller 80 miles away

57 plate with 38k at £4995 private seller 88 miles away

57 plate with 53k at £5200 trade seller 33 miles away

57 plate with 48k at £5490 trade seller 48 miles away.

The problem i have is it seems these cars are quite rare, so i am struggling to get evidence together for what the car is worth, the ins has offered me £4300 first offer, and now £4670 which is the glass guide price. I have the normal £200 excess which i know i have to pay out of the money. I have argued the toss that with the offer i can only buy one of the cars out of the 6 and i thought the valuations had to be local to me... but the ins co say i am unable to include the last 4 cars as they are newer with less miles and the cars do not have to be local...

Could someone please give some advise here as the ins co will not offer a higher amount and are advising me to go to the financial ombudsman if i am not happy as they insist they are within their rights. if its a fair offer then i may need to accept as i need a car for work, as im borrowing a friends at mo.

Any help would be great.

Regards

I've recently been in a similar position, I could not get them to increase the valuation other than a couple of hundred. Even though my car was low mileage, fdsh, full mot etc. They seem to go by the valuation guide and stick to it.

I presume you have searched all the common car sites? e.g Autotrader, Adtrader, Gumtree, searched google.

I had loads of issues with my claim as the garage that declared it a write off lied and caused more damage than when I took it in. They were hoping to get the extra money in repair bills via insurance.

I would recommend to anyone who has had a car written off to ask for a list of the items that need repair. Personally from my experience I do not trust any of these kind of garages that have been recommended by insurance companies.

In the end the garage had to fix all the damage and I was given a life time warranty and also the car was checked over by an external garage.

Insurance companies never give you what you paid for the car, they don't even give you enough to replace a car like for like. You met need to add money on top to buy another similar car as this is what the insurance companies expect

Insurance companies never give you what you paid for the car, they don't even give you enough to replace a car like for like. You met need to add money on top to buy another similar car as this is what the insurance companies expect

Thankyou for your replies, i appreciate all input.

This is the first time in 18 yrs of driving i have ever made a claim, so unsure of the procedures etc. But if ins co's are known not offer a suitable amount to replace like for like, with the expectation of you adding extra money to purchase the same car you have insured with them, its surely a big con? i thought this was the whole idea of insurance, so you can replace your car if its damaged lol. but having just looked on web, it seems this is the case :jaw:

Adverts on Autotrader etc are not the correct way to value a vehicle for a write off as the prices advertised are the starting price the seller is willing to negotiate from, I pretty sure if you turned up at the 56 plate sellers home you would offer between £4250 and £4500 and they would bite your hand off.

If you do try to use Autotrader etc to bargain against your Insurer, the adverts must be for exactly the same make and model and must be the same year so only the 56 plate advert is relevant.

The correct way to value a write off for(The vast majority of) Insurance purposes is by using Glasses, Cap and Parkers

If you feel the amount is unreasonable and a breach of your insurance contract (which will say what you are entitled to), then send them a clear letter before action followed threatening small claims court proceedings, and then take them to court if you still don't get a sensible result. I think this is often the only way to get anywhere with some insurance companies. I dealt with exactly the same issue before and the insurer soon backed down and paid a reasonable amount when faced with a proper LBA.

You could use the Ombudsman but I understand they have quite a backlog at the moment.

Of course you could always offer the Glass' price to the sellers and see what they say.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS