growing problems with 2005 civic type s

zack007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me and/or point me to the right direction

Just purchases a 2005 civic type s with 68k from a garage around a week ago.

When test driving the car I noticed a grinding noise when pressing the brake but the salesman assured me there was no problem as the car wasn't moved for around 5 weeks.

Its been a week now and I can still hear the grinding noise, something tells me its the brake pads that might be going.

Other issues I am facing:

Temperature gauge needle on the car is less than a quarter of the way up (normally its around the middle) so not sure why its not moving up.

The gear changing in 2nd and 3rd isn't smooth and sometimes gets stuck but the car also judders when gears are changed.

At times I can feel a vibration when the clutch is pressed and when i let go of the clutch it makes a click noise when it gets to the top

Today I contacted the garage and he said "I'm sorry to hear that" "we wouldn't sell faulty cars"

but he said his manager is off and will be back this Friday.

What should I expect from the garage? I traveled over 50 miles to purchase this car and it would be very difficult to go down to Nottingham to their recommended garage to show the problems on the car?

Any advice would be highly appreciated

regards,

Zack

Hi,

I've just sent the garage an email with the bits that need attention this morning.

would like the following issues looked at as soon as possible

1. Temperature gauge needle moves up 20 percent and stays there, nowhere near the halfway mark

i_safe.gif red line shows where the needle should sit at minimum level but normally goes towards the middle. Blue line shows where the needle currently sits

2. Very loud grinding noise when braking (when test driving the vehicle Andrew mentioned this noise is probably because the vehicle was not driven for a couple of weeks) and should settle. I’ve driven just over 100 miles but it’s still there.

3. A vibration from the clutch pedal when changing gears

4. When changing gears the car judders (I’m not a new driver and have been driving for over 10 years so definitely an issue with the car).

5. Rear passenger seats have a defect. Seats can be lifted from the bottom??? not sure why this is happening, they are not fixed in place . This should not be possible

6. Driver side window does not close smoothly and judders as with the other 3 windows.

I have not had these issues looked at by a garage as I feel I am not responsible for making a payment to a garage. These issues have been there before I purchased the car.

I trust you will look into this at a matter of urgency and take the correct course of action.

Hi, just came across this.

You need to give the seller the opportunity to inspect and rectify in the first instance which you appear to have done. The seller should now arrange with you to do just that.

Did you carry out an HPI check on the car? If not, I suggest you do so. Please keep us posted.

Hi

Thanks for your response.

An up to date HPI report was provided from the garage.

Quick question though- Would I be liable to pay to get a diagnostic done on the car and a mechanic to verify that all the issues I have mentioned are faults? if so, would I be able to claim that back from the garage I have purchased the car from?

I did call Honda and they said we can have a look at the car but will charge around £50 an hour

regards,

Zack

If you choose to have a diagnostic check done before giving the seller reasonable opportunity to inspect the car himself, then I would think you would be liable for the cost. However, if the seller does not take up the opportunity and refuses to do anything, then ultimately should it be necessary to issue a court claim, you could claim 'consequential losses' which would include a diagnostic check. It could also include the cost of hiring a car while yours is being repaired (assuming that you choose that option). It is important to point out that the seller is allowed to mitigate his costs (i.e. arrange repairs himself of which he may get a trade discount from a dealer).

Thanks a lot for your advice.

The seller did say he will contact me on Friday (today) so I'm expecting a call and shall take it from there.

I'll keep everyone updated

Hi,

Just an update

Had a call from the car garage that sold me the car. They guy said bring the car to Beeston to a local garage they use, which is 50 miles away from me. I mentioned due to the distance its not feasible for me to come all the way there. I asked him whether I can get the car inspected by Honda in Coventry and forward you the report of findings but he said we have to still do our checks. I said to him I will seek some advice and get back to you.

firstly, it's quite difficult for me to get there and secondly he will get the car checked by his local garage that they use. Now what are the chances that the issues I have found, they will also consider that as issues?

Not sure what to do now, I can't travel all the way to beeston and the garage have said if you want something checked then you come here full stop

Hi,

Another update...

The car garage that sold me the car passed my number to their local garage,. he called me today and said the earliest time i can book your car in is 8th June. I had no choice so I've booked the car in for them to look at the issues.

Depending on the outcome of the garage having a look i guess they will either accept the issues that i have raised and fix them or deny the issues which i'm guessing I will have to get the car inspected from possibly Honda in Coventry and send them the report

Personally i think that kind of delay is unreasonable unless the car is still drive-able. In any event, I would be making sure that the seller is aware of this delay and that there may be consequences of further damage by you continuing to use the car for that period. After all, the matter was reported a week ago. The seller therefore may consider providing you with a courtesy car in the meantime which may prevent any potential further cost to him.

Hi,

I did ask for a courtesy car but he said No we don't provide them.

The reason why this has extended to 8th june (saturday) is because i told them i work 9-5 weekdays and they didn't have a slot available for 1st June (saturday). I can't afford to take time off during the week

Low water temp is usually an indication of a non existant thermostat. Thermostats are usually removed to hide a fault as the cost to replace if a few pounds.

You must write to the selling garage and outline your disappointment especially of the timescale and tell them that in accordance with the Sale of Goods Act 1979 you reserve your right to reject the car should the problems not be fixed to your satisfaction.

The letter should be sent by recorded delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just an update....

Last Saturday I popped town to Beeston to the garage so they could have a look at the problems on the car.

The mechanic told me before hand to list the issues, which I did:

1.Temperature gauge needle moves up 20% and stays there, nowhere near the halfway mark

2.loud grinding noise when braking

3.A vibration from the clutch pedal when changing gears

4.Gear changing gets stuck at times

5.When changing gears the car judders and at times there is a lag (as if the car is pulled back a little then moves off)

6.Rear passenger seats have a defect. Seats can be lifted from the bottom. This should happen

7.Driver side window does not close smoothly and makes a clicking sound when to the top

8.Steering wheel feels heavy at times especially when doing a full lock and makes a clicking noise (steering rack is a common fault on this car)

Getting straight to the point.. out of all those issues the mechanic with the authorisation of the sales person (who sold the car to me) only fixed point 2 by replacing the brake pads. All the other points he either said its not an issues or not sure what it is and on one of them he said its normal (point 6)

I did mention to the mechanic that I will now go and get this car checked by Honda in Coventry and then send the report to the car sales garage.

Should I email the car garage sales person to tell him that I will now get Honda to look at it and will send you the report of findings?

So no confirmation of anything.

You must write to them and include the list of problems, (minus the brakes) and request a time when they will accept the car to rectify the faults. You should send this by recorded delivery letter.

When you get a response, you can then take the correct route to getting it sorted.

Without an admission or denial on paper, you will have a hard job should you need to take legal action.

If the telephone is used, then use your mobile and record the call, don't use the phone unless you can record the call.

Thank for pointing that out.

I'll start writing the letter BUT what if he tells me to bring the car over to Beeston again?? There is no chance for me getting back there again. 1hour journey and I spent 5 hours walking around doing nothing.

Hi,

Can you confirm if this letter is sufficient or I need to add anything else?

3 weeks ago i spoke to the salesman and I told him I will get the car inspected by Honda in coventry but he said I dont care because I want it inspected by my local garage (beeston) and this has already been done.

Dear Mathew

Having visited your recommended garage in Beeston (Kam servicing) I was told by Sunny to list the issues I had with the vehicle I purchased from yourselves (Honda Civic YS05VDZ)

1. Temperature gauge needle moves up 20% and stays there, nowhere near the halfway mark

2. Loud grinding noise when braking (This has been fixed by Kam Servicing)

3. A vibration from the clutch pedal when changing gears

4. Gear changing gets stuck at times

5. When changing gears the car judders and at times there is a lag (as if the car is pulled back a little then moves off)

6. Rear passenger seats have a defect. Seats can be lifted from the bottom. This shouldn’t happen

7. Driver side window does not close smoothly and makes a clicking sound when to the top

8. Steering wheel feels heavy at times especially when doing a full lock and makes a clicking noise

The above 7 out of the 8 issues are still there and Kam servicing confirmed there was no problem.

I am now looking to have this vehicle inspected by Honda in Coventry week commencing 17/06/2013. The report will then be forwarded to yourself so you can make arrangements for having the issues fixed at your cost.

Regards,

You have to look at it from the dealers point of view, you didn't find it inconvenient to go there to purchase the car and he is fully justified in asking you to bring it back to him. If he allowed you to take it somewhere local, how does he know you're not pulling a fast one.

He does have the right to examine the car first.

If he examines the car and says there is nothing wrong with it, then you can take it elsewhere, (you will probably have to pay) and get written confirmation of the problems. You can then write telling him that if he doesn't bring the car up to a satisfactory quality then you will take it elsewhere and send him the bill.

I'm just trying to keep you on the right side so that you are doing everything right and should it end up in a court claim, you will be more likely to win.

Thanks a lot for your response, and will add the cost on the letter

I may have confused you a little earlier

I was told by him to bring the car to their recommended garage in Beeston, I was hesitant but I had no choice but to take the car to them.

There local mechanic inspected the car and diagnosed/fixed 1 out of the 8 issues.

I am confident that the 7 issues are there and will be picked by Honda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Last week I sent a letter to the garage mentioning that i will take my car to honda to be inspected and you will have to cover the cost. I received a letter and the salesman said i will not cover the cost.

Out of the issues I initially reported, Honda were concerned with 1 which was the clutch pedal which would need replacing at a cost of £700 and they will send me the quotation. Do i need to get trading standards involved again? or do i wait for the quotation for the clutch pedal from honda and send a copy via recorded delivery to the garage in beeston??

Advice would be much appreciated

regards,

Hi,

Just an update....

Last Saturday I popped town to Beeston to the garage so they could have a look at the problems on the car.

The mechanic told me before hand to list the issues, which I did:

1.Temperature gauge needle moves up 20% and stays there, nowhere near the halfway mark

2.loud grinding noise when braking

3.A vibration from the clutch pedal when changing gears

4.Gear changing gets stuck at times

5.When changing gears the car judders and at times there is a lag (as if the car is pulled back a little then moves off)

6.Rear passenger seats have a defect. Seats can be lifted from the bottom. This should happen

7.Driver side window does not close smoothly and makes a clicking sound when to the top

8.Steering wheel feels heavy at times especially when doing a full lock and makes a clicking noise (steering rack is a common fault on this car)

Getting straight to the point.. out of all those issues the mechanic with the authorisation of the sales person (who sold the car to me) only fixed point 2 by replacing the brake pads. All the other points he either said its not an issues or not sure what it is and on one of them he said its normal (point 6)

I did mention to the mechanic that I will now go and get this car checked by Honda in Coventry and then send the report to the car sales garage.

Should I email the car garage sales person to tell him that I will now get Honda to look at it and will send you the report of findings?

Why didn't you pick these things up during the test drive when you purchased ?

Things that are not the sellers responsibility are faults that should or could reasonably be expected to be seen at the time of purchase.

Thanks for your reply conniff,

Yes you are right, some of the issues should have been picked up by myself on the test drive. The test drive lasted 10 minutes and within 10 minutes i was trying to be very cautious. things like the clutch pedal making the clicking noise was not constant at that time (test drive) and has got worse in the last few weeks. So very difficult to pick up things that are intermittent.

Other issues i should have picked up during the test drive.

Does this mean that I shouldn't do anything in regards to the clutch pedal that needs replacing? replace it at my own cost?

Advice would be much appreciated