Who is responsible for this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here's an interesting one that someone will hopefully have the right answer to.

I have a Post Office landline and on my itemised bill I noticed that my own personal mobile number (Vodafone) was showing as 3 Mobile,

even though I ported my number from them (3) over two years ago.

The problem is that it costs more to call a 3 Mobile than a Vodafone mobile with the Post Office.

I informed both Post Office and Vodafone with proof but they said it was the others responsobility.

Can anyone give a definitive answer on this?

Thanks

Who are you paying your bills to?

Who did you buy the phone from? Sounds to me as if someone somewhere hasn't done their job properly

Well it may be that the quick way to clear it up would be to sue the post office for the refund of the excess. I expect that they will leap into action once the papers are served and you may get some clarity.

I think that it might be first worth writing to Vodafone and ask them to confirm in writing that the porting has been done correctly.

Once you have that, attack the PO.

See what happens

It is odd, because my mobile is being called from my landline, something somewhere is telling the Post Office that I have a 3 Mobile number, is there an organisation (COS?) that would clarify?

Get Lee to take a look from his side

Hi CAG members,

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves and to assure you all that our presence on CAG is with the very best of intentions.

Vodafone UK has recently introduced a dedicated Web Relations Team which is keen to seek out customers who’re having difficulties with their accounts and feel that they have no other place to turn to than CAG and other consumer forums and blogs.

Naturally, it’s not possible for us to help directly with account specific queries on CAG and as such we would encourage those members who feel we can help them to contact us privately at [email protected]

quoting ‘WRT135 – CAG Forum’ in the

subject line to ensure that it reaches the Web Relations Team.

When emailing us we would also ask that you either provide us with a link to your post or thread – if you’ve posted in another member’s thread please also provide your CAG username so that we can check what your query is.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Personally I think this is the responsibility of Vodafone as I don't see the Post Office, or any other landline provider for that matter having control over the mobile provider data. I would like to know where this comes from and any other relevant details.

Rather than deciding who is at fault, complain to both.

Both will have a complaints procedure, and it will be listed on their website somewhere under "Code of practice". Follow that and this will get resolved.

Get Lee involved as he is a good guy, and always fights hard for customers, and he has a deep knowledge of the whole industry.

• Haha 1

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi lhmcr1,

It's always nice to come across a completely different query to those we usually handle.

From a billing perspective I'd say that the Post Office would need to amend their systems to recognise that your number is now connected to the Vodafone network.

If you'd like me to send you any confirmation to state when the transfer went ahead could you email me with your details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To make sure it reaches me could you update the thread with this and Ill get back to you as soon as possible?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thank you for responding Lee.

I have already given the Post Office details of my mobile contract, showing that I pay my bills to Vodafone with a bill and headed Vodafone letter.

They say that they have no control over this data as it comes from elsewhere (I need to find out where)

I have also been into my local Vodafone store to show my landline bill states 3 Mobile.

Vodafone say the process of porting was fully completed.

As I said previously, I need to contact someone (OFCOM or the Communications Ombudsman maybe) to find out who is responsible.

Follow the advice posted by Lee above, or the handsome guy in post #6 to get Lee on board and able to check everything on your account.

Regarding the post office, [email protected] is the MD of Post Office Telecom. Send him an email and get him to look from their billing point of view.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Is this "a bug " or "a feature"?

If I'm correct, the issue is:

The number has been ported to Voda but the OP's calls to it from a Post Office landline are being billed as per its prefix, it originally having been on "3", rather than as a call to its current network, Voda.

Isn't this what is meant to happen? Billing as per ' prefix'?

Let us consider the situation where a line is ported from Voda to "3", and someone calls that from their Post Office landline. They might not know the number has been ported. They look up the cost for a call to a number with that prefix. They then get charged more to call it (if billed by 'current network' rather than 'original network / billing by prefix'). They are then justifiably angry at having been charged more than they expected : "billing by prefix " avoids this scenario.

This was my understanding of the rationale for "billing by prefix". It may be that it isn't to the OP's liking, nor to their advantage, but it is fair to those who might call a number which they may not know if it has been ported or not.

So, I don't think the OP has been charged wrongly, not should they be looking to take action against "whoever is responsible", unless they were advised they would be billed by 'network' rather than by 'prefix'

OP were you told this, and if so, who by?

Edit to add:

Ofcom (as was) stated it depends if the call is from a fixed line or from a mobile.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/mobfaq2.htm

"However, number portability may cause customer confusion because the charge for calling the new network might be different from the charge for calling the old network.

If a call is made to a mobile from a fixed line, the charge will be based on the number called, irrespective of the network the mobile is actually on. Thus, if the mobile number is part of an allocation to Vodafone, the called number will be charged as a call to Vodafone even if the number has been ported to an alternative network. Therefore the charge will be what the customer expects according to the published prices of the fixed operator.

However, if the call is made to a mobile from another mobile, the charge will be based on the network that the called number now operates on. Therefore, if the number has been ported, the call will be charged according to the network that the person being called is now on."

Edited by BazzaS

• 2 months later...

With regards to the above, is now no longer relevant as I have switched lanline providers.

Unfortunately, Vodafone customer service gets worse every month.

Aside from a still ongoing complaint that is now with the Communications Ombudsman, I am having further problems with Vodafone.

Around April/May I phoned Voda CS regarding internet settings for my phone (not that they will improve anything)

Towards the end of the call I was offered a tablet on special offer, no upforont cost, at around £18/19 per month.

I asked if this included the Ipad and was told "yes"

I said that I needed time to think about it and I would get back to them.

I rang back in July and was told there were no notes about the offer and that it was unlikely that I was offered that price as it was heavily discounted.

I explained that a work colleague, also with Vodafone took up the same offer, so it wasn't just me who had been given the offer.

The rep said they would listen to the call and get back to me after 72 hours, a week later, no response, I rang back and expained again, the rep apologised and said they would forward it to their manager who would get back to me in 72 hours, again, after a week, no response, so I rang again, and was told an escalation email would be sent and I would hear back either that day (Friday) or Monday.

Still no response.

I am now quite glad I did not take Vodafone up on their offer as I would hate to be stuck in another two year contract and have to put up with poor customer service and data signal for any longer than I have to.

Roll on March so I can leave Vodafone for good.