ECOPHY - cleaning company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Anyway, I moved out of my 4 bedroom rented house last Wednesday. The Tuesday before, I had arranged for ECOPHY, a cleaning company, to conduct a full end of tenancy clean, including all carpets and the cooker. The cost for this was £350.

After the clean, I had a quick look around, said I was happy, and paid them the sum in cash.

So the day after, I meet with the landlord to do a handover inspection. It turns out that they had barely touched the kitchen. None of the cupboards were cleaned inside or out, the tiles above the oven were greasy still, the fridge hadn't been cleaned, the surfaces hadn't been cleaned and the floor was sticky (I believe they had mopped them, but with what I have no idea).

On top of this, there are still marks on the carpets in most rooms.

On that Wednesday, I phoned them up to complain and they said they would send someone out to do the kitchen again this week. I still had not had a confirmation from them, so emailed them today saying it needed doing ASAP, or I would have to do the work myself. In this case, I would expect a full or partial refund.

Shortly after, I recieved this as a reply:

"Dear ***** Regarding your email about the cleaning we conducted, I am sorry to hear that you are not happy. On the day you was shown around the property and you said you was very happy, then after the inspection you paid the account in full. The point you make about the cooker, we cleaned hundreds of ovens and it all depends on where you are starting from, the oven we cleaned for you was in a very state and not cared for, so in the time allowed the clean was exceptional. The same applies to other areas of the property including the kitchen, the floor had a thick film of dirt that was about 2 mm thick in parts and had stuck fast. When it comes to cleaning, there is only so much we can do in a set time and it depends on how dirty the item is when you start, and sorry to say we was starting from ground in dirt.

However, under the circumstance you so that you could remove some of the stains in the carpet, I do not believe this possible as some of things are ink, I am will to refund £25 as a good will gesture. I am not prepared to send a new team to the property as I believe the £350 including vat was good value for money, and this was a discounted price already. The property was fair dirtier than expected and the job conducted was over and above, we even cleaned urine of the walls and scrub the skirting in the downstairs toilet which was covered in urine.

Please provide you bank details for the good will gesture so we can send you the £25.

Regards

Ecophy Cleaning Services Ltd"

I am considering a small claims case against them, but I am unsure of my legal position. Can I claim money back for a job poorly done? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm, the fact is that you said you were happy and paid for the clean.

I am not quite sure on what basis you can now say that you aren't.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You would need to show either (1) they did not do what they promised and so they are in breach of contract, or (2) they did not exercise due care and skill.

If it was simply a matter of them failing to do the cleaning, then I guess you would have a claim. However you cannot expect more than an average reasonable cleaner could achieve in that time frame, so it depends on how dirty the house was when they started.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Well I have photos of all the work that was not done. In the kitchen, it wasn't just a case of work not done well, it was work not done at all. The carpets may possibly be simply too stained (young children with pens are messy...) so I may be prepared to let them off on that.

There were 2 cleaners from 9.45am until 5.30pm, they never gave any allusions to it being too much work for them. I showed them around the entire house in the morning, and they said it was all fine.

Would it be reasonable then to simply get another cleaner (we have a gardener that also has a cleaning company) to give us a quote on the work that needs re-doing and ask for that amount back from ECOPHY?

I'm not after any profit or compensation here, I just want what I pay for to be done right.

The problem is that you said you were happy when the cleaners left. Their position will likely be that any demonstrated mess/dirt must have been created after they were finished cleaning since you said you were happy and paid in full.

You'll likely find it very hard, if not impossible, to get anything more than the £25 goodwill gesture they've already made.

I guess you paid for two cleaners to be there all day. That is quite a long time, personally I would expect them to have cleaned the kitchen. However I guess this does depend on how dirty and how big your house is, so it is difficult to say either way over an internet forum without hearing both sides of the story.

You could get someone else in to do the job, and if they are shown to be in breach of contract they would be liable for the reasonable costs of putting things right. Realistically they are probably unlikely to pay for it without going to court.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS