CIFAS query - wrong name

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, first post - sorry if its in wrong place!

I was rejected for a Santander current account and they suggested I ask with CIFAS, Experian, Equifax, Synectics, Callcredit and N Hunter.

I applied online for Equifax and Experian and sent postal applications to the other four.

Equifax and Experian have come back and there are a few things to clear up, but mostly seems right.

HOWEVER, I got a letter from CIFAS addressed to a similar but different name, and one that I certainly haven't given them or given anyone as my own name. Basically, I am Jonathan and the letter was addressed to John.

I sent copies of my driving licence and passport, so they definitely have all the right details for me, but they have requested an original proof of address.

How can this have happened? Does this mean they have a record at my address for this fictional John (None of my family are called John) or is it an error of some sort? What do I do? Obviously I need to bring it to their attention, but how? I've never been in touch with CIFAS before this week.

The scale of identity theft case is horrendous so this is good that you have been alerted to this.

What sort of occurrence has allegedly happened here?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I've had to order a bank statement so will send it the minute I get it.

I'll also be including a formal complaint letter. I sent three prices of ID confirming my name, at best it's really sloppy work from CIFAS.

Yes it does sound incompetent to say the least.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update in case it happens to anyone else (unlikely I know).

Wrote a formal complaint, they apologised profusely and returned my tenner, assured me there was no record for any other name, and on receipt of my ID they sent me their records confirming that.

So I got a free SAR out of it. Better than nowt.