vodafone & Galaxy S3 repair help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

I found this forum when trying to find a solution for a couple of issue I have had over the past week.

I originally signed up for an 18month contract with Vodafone in October 2011 and got an iPhone 4S. When the Samsung Galaxy S3 was announced in early 2012, I contacted the Vodafone deals team who said that I could indeed switch over to a Samsung Galaxy S3. I asked the procedure for sending back in my iPhone 4S and they said that while that was not necessary, if I did, I would receive a credit but there was no penalty for keeping my phone. I opted to keep the phone in addition to receiving the Galaxy S3. At no point did they mention that I would be renewing or extending my contract, nor did I sign or receive anything formally with information regarding my contract

I have two issues:

Issue 1

My Galaxy S3 started to randomly freeze a couple of weeks ago where it gets no response and require a hard reset. I took the phone into a Vodafone store on 11 May 2013 and explained the problem. The representative said that a software update would most likely alleviate the issue. I told them that I had installed the most recent update from Vodafone and that it does not appear to be a software issue. I asked for the phone to be sent for repair, specifically stating that it is a hardware issue and to change the mainboard of the phone. They were insistent that it was a software issue and recommended I leave the phone in store for a few hours for them to update it and test. I did that and returned to the store a few hours later. I received the phone and started on my way home. Half way on my journey home, the phone froze. I immediately returned to the store and said that it had froze and showed the same representative the issue. I asked them if the phone did actually need a software update or if I had previously had the most recent version. They laughed and said that they did not do the repair so they don't know.

I asked for the phone to be sent for repair with a specific note that the phone had been updated and that I wished the mainboard replaced. The phone was sent for repair noting that a software update was done in store and to replace the mainboard. I logged on the Vodafone repair which noted that the phone was repaired and dispatched back the store, with a resolution code of "01 Software Update". I immediately called Vodafone to ascertain if only simple software update was done, which they confirmed.

I refuse to pick up the phone, unless it gets sent out for a repair as agreed, as I am unwilling to risk investing the time to get my phone into the previous state (contacts, apps, etc.) for it to freeze again.

Having said that, if Vodafone agrees to resend the phone to repair for a mainboard replacement, I will be out a phone for 2 weeks which is highly inconvenient.

This brings me to issue 2.

What are my options for accepting the phone as is, cancelling my contract, given the fact that under the original contract my term should have already expired, and going with another provider?

Hello and Welcome shutch,

Lee from Vodafone should pick this up shortly.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hello and Welcome shutch,

Lee from Vodafone should pick this up shortly.

Out of interest, how do you know for sure the mainboard is causing the phone to freeze and that will resolve your issue? Have you then one inspected by a qualified engineer or something?

Out of interest, how do you know for sure the mainboard is causing the phone to freeze and that will resolve your issue? Have you then one inspected by a qualified engineer or something?

Well, the software reflash did not fix the issue. The camera, speakers, etc. all works fine so by deduction, it should be the mainboard. I appreciate there may be a myriad of other possible causes, but replacing the board would be almost akin to a complete replacement.

How long's your contract now ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

How long's your contract now ?

Online it says August 2014 for upgrade (so October expiry I think?), but in the store they noted that they made a mistake and it is the same date in 2013 and they have made a request for it to be updated.

Hi shutch,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

Having checked our emails I can confirm that I've got yours and so will get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks Lee.

I intend to visit the store this evening to have a discussion about the matter as well.