Road Tax confirmation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope some one can help, i have searched but can't find a definitive answer, although i have my thoughts.

Basically currently the family car is registered in my wifes name with me as a named driver, however when the policy is up for renewal we have got quotes and found that if she keeps the car registered in her name but i insure the car as the policy holder (also help to keep the NCD valid) as the main driver (which i will be) and her as a named driver we can virtually half the premium.

When it comes to taxing the car we always do this online, will we run into problems with her being the RK and myself as the PH, or as the RK will she need to have a policy in her own name.

I hope i have made this easy to follow:|

Under the continuous tax/insurance rules, the car needs to be 'related' to a policy so the car is listed on the MIB data base. Otherwise, it will have a marker on the PNC which will in turn activate a police car's ANPR system. Providing your policy bears the car's details on it, then you should be ok although it is the RK's responsibility to ensure it has insurance. I doubt if the insurers themselves will be concerned who is the RK providing they know who the owner is and where the car 'lives'.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Basically currently the family car is registered in my wifes name with me as a named driver, however when the policy is up for renewal we have got quotes and found that if she keeps the car registered in her name but i insure the car as the policy holder (also help to keep the NCD valid) as the main driver (which i will be) and her as a named driver we can virtually half the premium.

I understand it is a family car but is the address different ?

I found that a car shared by me and fiance was easier/cheaper to insure if I was the registered keeper - lower crime rate area apparently - and he was the named driver, though his no claims is five + years which may have helped.

He does drive it when he is back in the UK, but this is only every three months or so, the insurance company are happy with the arrangement though.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt you'd have a problem from a road tax point of view but you may find the insurers aren't happy that the owner/registered keeper isn't the same as the insured/main driver!!

Feebee_71

may find the insurers aren't happy that the owner/registered keeper isn't the same as the insured/main driver!!

Feebee_71

Well have been up front with the insurers and they are well aware that the car is registered in my wifes name but i am the main driver/insurer and they seem happy. If you think about it one of the questions that they ask is "is the vehicle registered in your name or spouse"

Well have been up front with the insurers and they are well aware that the car is registered in my wifes name but i am the main driver/insurer and they seem happy. If you think about it one of the questions that they ask is "is the vehicle registered in your name or spouse"

There shouldn't be a problem then (as per what I said in post #2)

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I agree with SS. I have had this type of arrangement frequently and provided you have given all the pertinant detail to the insurers you will not have a problem. The car will show up correctly as having insurance on MIB so no issue with the police ANPR cameras