• Tweets

• Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
    • who gave you the NTH? who was it sent to? thread title updated dx  
    • blimey CAG gave all that FREE help over +6mts and +100 posts and they never even bothered to comeback...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Who takes priority?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife and I have debts totalling £45k to Lloyds TSB

(the CAB arranged £5 a month two years ago on each £35 a month in total)

These are 3 credit cards and 4 unsecured loans

All was well on keeping up payments and still would be but I have had a letter saying they want to review the payment.

Is it just likely to be that or in the light of charging order legislation is it more sinister.?

A little about us

The reason I fell behind is my health and I an now barely able to walk or use my hands and I am getting worse

and my wife is to put it kindly "confused" and suffers from athritis we are 68 and my wife70.

Last year we tookout a lifetime mortgage(or equity release) to pay of our interest only one and get some things to make the house more user friendly.

That was £50k from Aviva.

I don't like owing this money to TSB but I could not raise any more capital and we live on pension credit and attendance allowance.

So are Aviva the main priority debt and able to tell TSB where to go or not?

Am I just a silly old man who is worrying to much?

I would be very grateful for your help and advice.

BTW the last loan was given to my wife at 68 years old(with no income) £13,000 and a credit card with a £2,500 limit.

Like fools we spent that to survive as our health was making it almost impossible for me to work.

the priority debt, is the one that if not paid, removes the roof from your house.

it is quite std for 'lenders' on a reduced payment plan to want a review.

however, are under NO legal obl to supply them with any pers financial details.

IMHO I would get your 'earnings'

paid into a bank account under a group you have NO debts with.

have you looked at reclaiming might I ask?

PPI & PENALTY charges on loans/cat accounts/credit cards/mortgages etc are all reclaimable

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thankyou for your quick reply.

No I did not take out PPI I was self employed.

I moved my bank account on the advice of a Lloyds member of staff as soon as I was in trouble,

she also told me to clear any money I had out of their account now

that was Feb 2011(obviously a loyal TSB staff member) and also told me to tell the Indian debt chasers I had no money and go away!

I opened an account with Santander.

Penalty charges on loans//credit cards I will look into.

I have paid all arrangements with TSB as arranged and on time.

I made it very clear at the time I did not want PPI and also the loans I signed for were NOT secured on my property.

Thanks again for your help so far,

its better than trying to work things out on your own and think of the worst outcome.

Ensure that you keep everything in writing too.

Never discuss this over the phone with any of them, if they persist harassing you over the phone then there is a letter to send them, if they do ring, just tell them "everything in writing" and hang up.

Keep a diary of events, mark all their letters with the date you received them on.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

You could simply write them a note advising there has been no significant change in your circumstances and leave it at that.

Are they aware of your health issues ?

Have you been receiving statements from the bank and are they still continuing to add interest to the accounts.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

CitizenB

In answer to your questions.

They were aware of our health issues in a letter from our Doctor 2 years ago. Since then things have got worse for both of us.Do you think its worth getting an updated one? Our Doctor was quite strong with then and told them to get off our backs then(that was when we had the Indian call centre 2-3 times a day)

We get letters/statements every six months on each account with words to the effect we are in arrears but keep paying the £5 on each account. Apparantly its a legal requirement for them.

All Interest was stopped 2 years ago when the CAB were involved

We are not in arrears with any payment plan agreed with them or anyone else for that matter

My concern is not getting stuck with a Charging Order or having to sell our house.

Give me something mechanical and I will understand it but financial things I am a complete numpty!

Again thankyou and other members of the Forum for helping me

CitizenB

In answer to your questions.

They were aware of our health issues in a letter from our Doctor 2 years ago. Since then things have got worse for both of us.Do you think its worth getting an updated one? Our Doctor was quite strong with then and told them to get off our backs then(that was when we had the Indian call centre 2-3 times a day)

We get letters/statements every six months on each account with words to the effect we are in arrears but keep paying the £5 on each account. Apparantly its a legal requirement for them.

All Interest was stopped 2 years ago when the CAB were involved

We are not in arrears with any payment plan agreed with them or anyone else for that matter

My concern is not getting stuck with a Charging Order or having to sell our house.

Give me something mechanical and I will understand it but financial things I am a complete numpty!

Again thankyou and other members of the Forum for helping me

Righto.. well in that case, I would simply confirm that your circumstances have not changed and are unlikely to do so and that you will be maintaining the payment agreed.

It seems as though they are behaving themselves by providing statements, if only 2 or 3 times a year, at least you have a record of payments. The fact that they have ceased adding interest is definitely good as the debt will be reducing, albeit slowly.

If you receive anything else from them that concerns you, then don't hesitate to let us know and we can deal with it (if) it happens.

I would just say that that LTSB have behaved quite irresponsibly if they provided your wife with an unsecured loan given that your income seems to be limited!

For the moment though, It is my opinion that you shouldn't make yourselves more unwell by stressing about this. Just yell if you need any further help.. there is usually someone around :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

BCOBS

• 1 month later...

I spoke to Lloyds TSB and were happy with the arrangements of £5 a month on each debt owed. Today I got a letter from Aktiv Kapital(uk) Ltd who advised me they had purchased one of the debt fron Lloyds and all further payments should be made to them. £1700 owed in total.

So Having had a quick Google of this lot I ask the following(BTW I do not dispute the amount)

1 They have asked me to pay them. I am happy to give them the £5 a month arranged by the CAB with Lloyds,do they have to abide by this?

2 Should I expect any shenanigans from them to try and squeeze more out of me and are they in their rights to do this?

I will not respond to them until I here(hopefully) from this forum.

Any other advice would be extremely welcome.

If they have genuinely bought the debt and you had a notice of assignment from them, then they are obliged to continue repayments. However, before you pay them, you need to make sure they have the right paperwork to collect/enforce the debt. When a debt is sold, it is rare that the new owner has the paperwork. The debt is usually bad in one way or another or it wouldnt have been sold.

Even more so in your case given the size of the debt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If they have purchased the debt from LTSB, then they have purchased it with the obligation to continue with the payment arrangement with LTSB.

They may well write to you asking you to increase your payment. You response is as follows..

You had a payment arrangement in place with LTSB which you are happy to continue with. If they require you to use different bank details then they must provide them for you.

If they give you any grief or refuse to accept the payment arrangement. Come straight back to us and we will advise further.

You might want to have a read of the following article which should make you feel a little easier about your situation.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?840-Stop-your-bank-or-lender-breaching-their-instalment-agreement

BCOBS

what type of debt have a kleaners got?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

AK = what type of debt are they chasing

credit card, loan , OD etc

dx

and they

My wife and I have debts totalling £45k to Lloyds TSB

(the CAB arranged £5 a month two years ago on each £40 a month in total)

These are 3 credit cards and 4 unsecured loans

also bank account that I forgot that is the one they flogged to Aktiv Kapital(uk) I think.

I will atempt to search through the mountain of stuff TSB sent over the last 2+ years

The CAB said bin it and just keep the statements every six months.

I have never defaulted on the payment plan above and make sure I never give them reason to complain.

I check my Santander account and make sure that all payments by standing order are paid on or before time.

what type of debt have a kleaners got? With you now:-)

have you ever had PENALTY charges on the OD

the loans (were they to refinance each other? ...got PPI]

like wise on the cards ...ref: reclaiming.

that would explain why they sold it

dx

and they

The loans were to refinance each other.

It seemed every time I went into the bank to discuss my account I had such a "wonderful" credit rating I ended up with a deal

which ended up with me with a new larger loan(very stupid I now know)

Still I suppose they were trained well and were happy to put their commission before my best interests.

I was self employed so I never took out PPI on anything.

The account they sold was my current account,which they closed and turned it into a collection account.

I always had an overdraft facility and to the best of my knowlede never had any penalty for unauthorised borrowing as if I was close to the wire I always spoke to them.

That is why I ended up with more and higher loans.

What I don't understand is why any company would want to buy a debt that is being paid back at £5 a month unless they bought it for complete peanuts!

I will write more after I hopefully here from you but It is difficult to give you anymore information until I search about and see what other documentaion I can find

.Apparantly I can set up a standing order with them over the phone.

I don't think that is wise, do you?

I am quite capable of doing that myself with computer banking.

Apparantly I can set up a standing order with them over the phone. I don't think that is wise, do you? I am quite capable of doing that myself with computer banking.

I don't think that they can. They could set up a variable direct debit that would allow them to drain your bank account but I didn't think that they would be able to set up a standing order

2Grumpy

From their letter and I quote,

You can make payments to us by:

Making a card payment over the phone on 0800 180 8422

Setting up a Direct Debit or Standing Order wth us over the phone

Paying directly to our account through telephone banking

To me that rather smells of Bovine Excrement on the standing order bit and I do not think it wise to give them my card details either!

Maybe a little late in life but just perhaps I am wising up a little.

no def not a dd nor card

how big is this loan?

somethings not right here and I've not spotted it.

dx

and they

Have you made CCA requests on the loans & credit cards?

If the loans were to re-finance previous loans, there might be scope there for checking that the early repayment amount of the previous loans was correct if you have all of the documentation

It's strange that they would sell off the account that is definitely enforceable and retain the possibly dodgy ones

I would keep any everything about this in large envelopes from now on ... you will need to refer to it

It might be worth a SAR to LTSB to get all information about all of the accounts

Right I have my last communications from TSB(from copies sent to CAB who handled this 2+ years ago.

Credit card in my name £7,791.91

" " £7,328.05

" in my wifes name £1,672.68

Loan in my name £10,370.03

Their seems to be one missing in my wifes name for about £11,000 and one in mine

All dated 3rd June 2013.

All accepting £5 a month subject to a regular review.

All these payments have been made on time and not one missed or late.

On reflection I did get a letter 2or 3 months ago saying any money owing would be put towards clearing some of our debt or similar wording.

The reason for being vague is both my wife and I are disabled and our physical and mental health has been and is not goo

so as things seemed to be going along to plan it was a worry I could not deal with at the time.

The current account is the only one that would not be accepted by TSB as a standing order for some reason

but I paid that into a TSB branch using the slips provided by them.

I need to pay this by the 12th of this month TSB say they don't want it but pay Aktive kapital

I have their ident number and ref.

Who should I pay by Friday as I do not want anyone saying I am a late payer?

I will try and find what documentation I can but in light of the CAB saying it was all done and dusted I am not sure I have it all.

BTW Lloyds tsb online banking cannot be accessed by my despite the correct login,

it keeps coming up with the message" there is a fault at this time" so I cannot check this

May I have you advice on my next move please?

Thankyou all for the time and effort in helping us so far it is very kind of you