• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Icon Collections chasing 'debt' to a Nuffield hospital following operation under BUPA - Am I liable

Sausage1971
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had an operation at a BUPA hospital in Novemebr 2011.

I was covered under a company scheme which(as advised by my employers) covered all costs including any excess.

I am now receiving emails from Icon Collections representing the hospital asking for £220 plus £18 (their costs).

I have referred them back to the company but the company is no longer trading.

The policy was in the company name and I was covered as an employee.

I have asked Icon to confirm the policy was in the company name and they cannot as they have no contact with BUPA

Am I liable as the patient for the outstanding amount? I have seen no documentation apart from an invoice from the hospital produced in April 2013.

If there was a company policy then I cant see they can claim from you.

I will try and find someone who might know :)

You might need to obtain terms and conditions of the policy and I am not sure that BuPa would provide that as it would be covered by Data Protection.

Either way, IMHO, I don't think you are responsible for the payment. But wait until the person I have alerted looks in.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought.

I can't see BUPA providing me with Ts & Cs.

Icon are saying that the contract was between myself and the hospital. I received the treatment, therefore I am liable for the bill.

I provided the hospital with payment details (credit card) when I was checked in as per their procedure but no charge was made against it.

Replies from Icon when I questioned liability.

Bupa Healthcare have only part paid a claim in relation to your cover with them.

Any shortfall becomes a patient liability.

The hospital provided a service to yourself & you would be held liable for any unpaid balance, as per the hospital terms & conditions.

We recommend you settle the balance to avoid any further action, incurring additional charges, & attempt to reclaim the funds from any third party if you feel you have a dispute with any third party.

Healthcare policy details are confidential between the insurer & their member.

Regardless of the primary name on the policy the hospital provided the service to yourself.

If you have any dispute regarding your cover or benefit payable, by your insurer, it is a matter you will have to resolve with them.

At this stage, the hospital provided the service to you & funds are overdue & require settlement.

trying to spoof you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You were not provided with a service, your employer was and that has gone so tough luck to BUPA.

Unfortunately, that isnt the end of the matter as they have your name and addy and will continue to pursue you for the money they know is not forthcoming.

The reason they wont give you the details of the agreement is because they know that their contract is with your employer and they arent going to get their money from there so they are hoping that you are scared enough to pay up.

Your problem is that their T&C's probably state the words " the customer" rather than defining who the customer is so they will stretch the meaning of the wording to suit the occasion.

They may start court proceedings against you,

there was a case similar to yours where some poor sod had a default judgement against him from a tool hire company because he collected an item from them and signed for it on behalf of his employer.

They claimed that he had entered a contract that he hadnt

when he asked for set-aside of the judgement they cancelled the debt.

keep an eye on any further written demands but dont pay up.

It doesn't scare me in any way but I just want rid of them.

When you say I wasn't provided with a service, I was as I received treatment??

BUPA was the provider of cover and the hospital was part of the Nuffield group.

So, essentially my response is that the contract wwas between BUPa and the hospital to pay the hospital bill and any shortfall then transfers to the holder of the policy which is my ex-employer.

Would Icon have to prove any contract between myself and the hospital or myself and BUPA?? If so, wht would they need to provide?

Hi did you sign any paperwork on admission to the hospital?

BUPA cannot provide data specifically on your ex-employers policy, but you can ask a 'generic' question e.g. ' Do company HCI policies normally cover an employee for any excess charges levied by a hospital?''

I have seen case where the employer has genuinely believed the policy covered all contingencies but very often the opposite is the case.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi,

I recall signing paperwork on admission and giving my credit card details. No payment was taken.

This paperwork has not been provided, just an invoice produced this year.

Icon are acting for the hospital NOT BUPA, this is why they cannot produce any BUPA paperwork.

They say the hospital provided a service to me and therefore a contract exists.

The real crux of the question is who is liable for the shortfall, me, my ex-employers or possibly BUPA??

You need to ask the hospital for a copy of the document you signed on admission, it is worth asking BUPA the 'generic' question too.

BUPA I think will say they have discharged their liability under the policy if the employer is now out of business you may well be liable.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I understand that the BUPA policy has ceased and they would discharge liability.

With the policy holder out of business why would the liability rest with me as I have no contract with the hospital or BUPA?

I understand that the BUPA policy has ceased and they would discharge liability.

With the policy holder out of business why would the liability rest with me as I have no contract with the hospital or BUPA?

This is why you need to find out what you signed on admission.

It doesn't scare me in any way but I just want rid of them.

When you say I wasn't provided with a service, I was as I received treatment??

BUPA was the provider of cover and the hospital was part of the Nuffield group.

Right, so not actually a ''BUPA hospital'' as you said in your first post, then?

So, essentially my response is that the contract wwas between BUPa and the hospital to pay the hospital bill and any shortfall then transfers to the holder of the policy which is my ex-employer.

Would Icon have to prove any contract between myself and the hospital or myself and BUPA?? If so, wht would they need to provide?

I was under the impression that this sort of private hospital treatment would be either pre-approved by BUPA, or else the patient would pay, and then be reimbursed by BUPA. Don't you have any paperwork from your defunct company about the exact benefits you were covered for, and how making use of them would be arranged? Presumably your treatment took place while the company still existed, but how longer after it did they fold?

Ok, will ask Icon for paperwork.

I have a feeling they will refuse/make an excuse.

Thinking of wording a response as follows "I dispute any outstanding debt that you may believe exists and am requesting that you provide any paperwork that proves my liability for any such debt"

How does that sound? Or is there a better way of wording it?

Edited by Sausage1971

The treatment was pre-approved by BUPA and the hospital took my credit card details on admission. I don't have (and never had any) paperwork relating to the company scheme. The company folded this year.

Personally I would ask the hospital directly!

My other half is currently undergoing private treatment against a company policy. The hospital has to obtain a reference number BEFORE carrying out work; this is provided by the insurer. In his case the insurer wrote to my other half with the reference number. If the hospital checked with your insurer then they will have a record of this. As Brigs said, check with the hospital. If you were not told the work would not be covered, or would only be covered to a certain amount then you would need to have entered into some kind of arrangement to pay before the work was carried out. Talk with the hospital and try and unravel exactly what the issue is/was. Then you can talk to Bupa and try and do the same.

Ok, will ask Icon for paperwork.

I have a feeling they will refuse/make an excuse.

Thinking of wording a response as follows "I dispute any outstanding debt that you may believe exists and am requesting that you provide any paperwork that proves my liability for any such debt"

How does that sound? Or is there a better way of wording it?

The fact is if they were to consider litigation, then they would have to provide information that proves your liability ?

What also bothers me is that you had this operation in 2011. We are nearly 18 months down the line.. surely the hospital would already have been paid? So you need to see the invoices etc that prove your liability. Why has it taken them this long to ask for some money.

When did your company cease trading ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The hospitals invoice has been paid but with a shortfall plus an £18 charge from Icon.

Yes, I think this is what you need to establish. Also, why have they taken so long to make contact and even then by way of a 3rd party !

BCOBS

Hi all

Just received a reply, assuming they have no paperwork to prove liabilty. Would like suggestions for a response. Thanks.

The collector of Nuffield Health accounts confirmed that should you dispute your liability with any third party, i.e. Bupa Healthcare, you must discuss the charges with them direct. They are a third party acting on your behalf. Copy invoices relating to this overdue balance have been provided to you previously, for your referral.

Please update this department regarding settlement of balance due. It would be recommended that you settle then reclaim should your dispute with your insurers be resolved. The hospital provided a service to you & we attempt to avoid further action, incurring additional charges.

Numerous payment methods are available on request