• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ge money - Secured loan Fees reclaim - **WON AT COURTS DOOR** now after legal fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are all aware that GMAC have been forced to repay back excessive charges to customers and now Kensington have too :D which is fantastic news.

Who will be next ---- and which mortgage companies charge what ...

For example, GE Money Home Lending Charge £40 per month for an account in arrears - how do they compare with other sub-prime lenders??

I'm going to make an approach to GE Money about a refund of these charges and will start a new thread to let you know how I get on:eek:

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kensington - £50 per month for accounts in arrears (plus interest)

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

GMAC - £50 per month arrears charges :mad:

jaxads

After 1 month GE Money charge interest on charges :mad:

jaxads

Hi Jaxads:)

While we were with Swift Advances (3 years ago) the charges were -

£70 per month when the account was being actively managed whilst in arrears

£35 per month when the account is being monitored whilst a payment arrangement is in place

Not sure what their charges are now though.

I've spent the last year trying to get these kind of charges back, but no success as yet - hopefully Swift are high up on the FSA's list!

Good Luck with GE Money ;)

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

• 11 months later...

Hi - I've a closed loan with GE Money (2002-2005) showing adminstration fees of £30 - would it be worth going back for those? or is it a 6 year time limit (i've a feeling it could be 12 for mortgages/secured loans)

I've also a present account with GE Money (unfortunately!) which has some charges of £40 per month for administration fees (the only admin they seem to do is send a letter and charge £40 for it!!!!).

Thought I might perhaps try the close account first - anyway, will give it a try using the template letters - nothing to lose I suppose !!

jaxads

absolutely. You should go ahead and claim all your charges back from GE money. GE money are acting unfairly and in breach of FSA regulations. They know this because it has been drawn to their attention in other litigation. What they need is a serious slap from the FSA – and this may happen before too long. You will be claiming for the refund of money paid under a mistake and this means that the six-year limitation period begins from the time that you realised the mistake or from when you could reasonably have done so.

Have any of these charges impact on your credit file? You should check this out. If they have then you should also be seeking to have your credit file cleaned as well.

Be careful of GE money, one of the first things they will do is try to play games with their identity as defendant. They have tried this with various people. Don't let it worry you too much.

Once you issue court papers, you will find it very easy to bring them to a position where they will try to buy their way out of it by offering you a settlement of the money.

Don't get involved in protracted correspondence with them. If you don't issue court papers they won't treat you seriously. Write to them with an assessment of the money that you want back from them – and anything else that concerns you. If you don't get your money back within 14 days, sue them.

Right then, will make a start today on the closed account.

The account that is still current I take it I'll be asking them to delete all charges and associated additional interest from the account and not charge further £40s. (Given that I've not actually paid the charges yet, they've just been added to the live account.)

My credit file is pretty wrecked as it is so I don't think their input will make much difference, but if it gives them extra work to do then I'll get onto that too.

jaxads

they won't pay any attention to you if you answer not to impose further charges. They will only pay attention if you have a judgment and then you send the judgment to the FSA as part of a complaint.

Probably the best thing to do is just start dealing with the closed account. If you are prepared to insist on going to court instead of just accepting their attempt to settle it by paying you the cheque, you can then get a judgment against them which will impact on all of their charges and which will deal with the charges on your present account as well. This will delay things in terms of getting your money back from them up on the other hand it will deal with everything that one go. It will also have a serious impact on GE money and will deliver slap that they need.

It is up to you whether you want to go this far or whether you just want to have your money. If you did want to push into court, we would help you – but it could get exciting. You don't say what the total value of charges are but I expect that it will probably just be a small claim.

Hi BF - the total value of the claim would be just short of £1000, although with added interest if charged at the rate they charged it to me ? - would take it to over £1800!! that includes fees payable £20, returned payment charges, £20, administration fees £30 and "additional interest" of between £1 and £5 (all additional interest is interest on the charges).

Not sure whether to request all charges only or charges and interest - any thoughts anyone??

The current loan - the charges on that (including additional interest) are unfortunately heading towards £4000!!!

jaxads

claim back charges and also any interest which they have already taken on the charges. Total that up. That is the money that you want refunded. After that, you want interest calculated at a restitutionary level – meaning that whatever they and on your money they pass over to you. In the alternative you want 8% statutory interest. Why is there any question that you shouldn't claim your interest back from them? Have they helped you or done you any favours? If you don't want the interest then claim it and then give it to us for the free help that we give you.

If you think that the some reason rather not claiming interest will impress them or make them any more compliant, then you have another think coming.

Hi - sorry I meant at this point asking them for interest on the whole thing at the rate they charged me, ie all charges and additional interest, plus 10.4% - being that interest charged at the time of my loan as opposed to if/when I'd have to serve court papers at 8%. I think I'm confusing myself now - lol!!

I'll do my spreadsheet of charges, plus extra interest they charged and 8% statutory interest and see what that comes out at.

jaxads

read up on restitutionary damages. There is lots about it written on this forum. You should be setting your sights on getting restitutionary damages if it goes to court – that have a backstop by claiming 8% statutory interest as an alternative.

It's up to you, – but it won't make any difference – when you write to them for the refund of your money add your 8% and say that you want that as well. They have had the benefit of your money all these years. Why on earth shouldn't you have a cut?

first letter in the post today - fingers crossed, we'll be in for the long haul!!!

jaxads

it will only be the long haul if you let it be that way. They will be anxious to draw things out and to tire you out and fatigue you.

You have do stop this attrition process which they will use by filing the claim. That's when it will get turned over to Evershed's. Then the chances are that Evershed's will play games with the identity of the defendant and put in defences that have nothing to do with your claim. They may say that they wanted to go to mediation – even though it is not suitable for mediation. All the tricks.

If I were you I would spend the next 14 days drafting your claim form so that on the 15th day you can file it with the court. I'm afraid that there won't be any other way to do this.

Don't find yourself in 14 days, with no response from GE money – and nothing ready so that you take at least another 7 to 10 days to find your claim. This makes you look like an idiot and you lose credibility.

Get an N1 form from the courts website now and start drafting your claim.

Hi BF - yes I've read that they have 3 difference guises and will say that you've filed to the wrong company !!!

I've downloaded N1 form and will read various threads and prepare for 15 days time - will keep post updated.

jaxads

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what your outcome is, as i currently have a situation going on with GE...i was charged £30 per month for 14 months by them while i was unemployed, this was due to the fact that the PPI didnt pay my full amount to my loan account. as i couldn't afford the extra £42 per month myself they charged me for the shortfall. They also charged me £30 per month when the PPi company was late with the payments, on top of this they also charged me interest.

I am currently awaiting a reply from the PPI company (via financial ombudsman) regarding the mis selling of the PPI & also the broker for the miss selling of the loan.

I shall now get all my paperwork in order this weekend, and shall be asking GE for a refund of all those charges,,,, will let you know how i get on.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what your outcome is, as i currently have a situation going on with GE...i was charged £30 per month for 14 months by them while i was unemployed, this was due to the fact that the PPI didnt pay my full amount to my loan account. as i couldn't afford the extra £42 per month myself they charged me for the shortfall. They also charged me £30 per month when the PPi company was late with the payments, on top of this they also charged me interest.

I am currently awaiting a reply from the PPI company (via financial ombudsman) regarding the mis selling of the PPI & also the broker for the miss selling of the loan.

I shall now get all my paperwork in order this weekend, and shall be asking GE for a refund of all those charges,,,, will let you know how i get on.

Get it all back.it will be easy.

Please start your own thread for this

Sent from my phone

Update - received letter from Resolutions Team stating they will start investigations and will get back to me within 4 weeks. I take it that I stick to my timescales, not theirs, and file a claim at 15 days??

jaxads

I am in the same boat want to claim back charges from GE we have complained 3 times abut the 40.00 charges on our mortgage as we were promised they would stop while we were claiming DWP they say yes then add them on again as well as refusing to freeze the interest the are full aware our house is sold and awaiting contracts to exchange after a small glitch has been sorted (thanks land registary for an 50 year old mess up) seems to me they want to eat into the equity to line thier own pockets.

• 3 weeks later...

Received an offer of 1/6 of what I was asking for this morning - not a bad start as I expected another NO

jaxads