I'm on my last week of MWA.

NotDave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for coming to this a bit late but I'm on my last week of MWA. Three months ago I was working full-time and with a few holes in my CV of a few weeks here and there, I have a full work history of more than 25 years.

I have done a lot of reading on the MWA and it may be too late now, but I don't think I was ever supposed to be put on it. I'll save you the story but my PA got spiteful after I asked the JC manager if I could see someone else after I complained about her attitude towards me and her tone.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm almost finished, I'll suffer it until the end but I have a question..

I live in London and I've considered doing the London knowledge to drive a licenced black cab. I will be out on a scooter for anything from 2-3 hours to maybe 10 hours a day and this could be for anything up to four years, depending how I get on.

So, the question is, if I can show that I'm doing work-based training, can I prevent myself from going onto another scheme like MWA and what can I do with regard to JSA because technically speaking, I won't have time to look for a job unless it's a quick flit through the online sites and if I did find a job, this would put my taxi career back by quick some chalk.

If I'm not looking for work because I'll be training, how would I support myself if the DWP decide to stop my JSA, HB and CTB?

I realise I'm late to the party but this is the best and most relevant thread I've seen that comes quite close to where I am. I'm not ill and not unable to work, I just want to be able to support myself while I get myself through a period of training that may take some time.

Many thanks.

Hello and Welcome,

I've started a new thread for you.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks, I noticed shortly after posting I may have hijacked another thread that was similar in nature and appreciate you fixing it for me.

I have some questions for TFl as well but getting them to answer the phone is a chore. Despite being number one in the queue for 10 minutes, I decided they must've been on their lunch and hung up.

I appreciate any help I can get here.

Regards.

ND.

P.S. Hello to you too.

Can anybody tell me where I might find the information I need? I have a signing day this Thursday and I'd like to be able to have my facts straight before I politely decline any other measures without risking my benefit.

Thanks.

If you are engaged in 16 hours or more of "training" then you wouldn't be entitled to JSA. You'd need to ask about training allowances, but I don't think they would be paid unless you were enrolled on a recognised course.

I suspect that if you told the JCP that you were riding a scooter around London to learn the roads and taxi routes, you'd get signed off. If you didn't declare and you were found out at a later date, you could be subject to a fraud investigation.

Have you thought about signing up with a courier company ?

The pay is crap (on a self employed basis), the work high risk, insurance is steep, the hours & pay is not regular... But you'd gain a knowledge of local streets & routes.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Been there, done that. I'm at a stage now where I just can't take any more crap from inept (mis)management and I think the only way I'm goig to make any money is to work for myself. When I say "been there, done that", I've previously worked for several courier companies and for several years combined- including motorbikes, vans and lorries. I thought this might give me a head start. Obviously I don't know where all the schools are, pubs, restaurants and police stations etc but I spent a good 50-60 hours a week for about 6 years pounding the roads for a pittance and in the end working just to keep my bike on the road so I know the direction of places, I just don't know the names of the roads or many of the points but I think I've got an advantage over many people as 60-70% of my work was in the square mile and I know where some of the big city firms are.

I'm going to give it some more thought.