Customer compliance officer interview queries and concerns

Lady_K
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a letter from the Jobcentreplus saying I was invited to an interview with a customer compliance officer. I think it was a regular letter that is sent out, it just said the visit has been arranged because your circumstances may have changed and we need to ensure your payments are correct.

I rang to request a home interview due to my health issues and the man said yes no problem and he would find my file and get his diary then ring me back. When he did he seemed to think there had been a mistake and said dont come to the interview but he would check through my file and if he does have to interview me he would send another appointment for a few weeks time at home.

I have now recieved a home interview appointment, no specific time just between 9.30am - 3.30pm. I am of course like most people having these interviews really worried and nervous. I feel a bit more nervous because I'm thinking why does he need to interview me now after first seeming to think it was a mistake.

I rang them again to ask what was the reason for the interview, this time a lady answered, last time it was the actual man that was going to interview me. She checked the system and said there is nothing noted on there then asked if there have been any changes and I said no so she said and its just a review type check and nothing to worry about.

I am worrying though and keep wondering why. I recently set up 3 new savings accounts all to be funded by £1 a month just to keep the new rules for halifax reward account as they now require you to have at least 2 direct debits from them to keep the reward, could it have triggered an interview? I also have 3 reward accounts using one as my main account and the others just basically to get the monthly reward, I have to fund them by 1k a month but only do that by transferring between one to the other. I'm worried if these accounts will confuse the situation. I have an ISA for my funeral expenses depressing as that sounds but its below the allowed threshold.

They have asked for id and bank statements but didnt say how many months worth, how many should I supply? as I have to request these from halifax as I have online statements or would they accept printed ones for the time being? thats if you can print them directly from online.

Also, will this interview be just about my ESA Support group benefit alone with Jobcentreplus as its headed from Jobcentreplus customer compliance or will it take into account my DLA HRC HRM awards as well?

Sorry its so long but any knowledge from other members would be much appreciated, Thanks

compliance interview is most likely going to be about ESA, but if you are unsure then you should phone JC and ask them

the thing with your bank accounts sounds a bit confusing. if i understand what you have stated, you have at least 7 accounts (3 reward accounts, 3 savings accounts and an ISA) - i would suggest printing off last 2 months statements for each of them, unless of course there have been periods where your total capital has gone over £6k

• Confused 1

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Hello there.

id6052 knows more than I do, but I just wanted to say that compliance interviews that we've seen here have been to check that your claim is in order and at least one person ended up with more money. :) People regularly come back and say they had worried for nothing.

I don't think you have anything to lose by being honest. If they see that you want to give them the information and ensure all is in order, I think they'll be fair with you.

My best, HB

• Confused 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

From my experience of sitting next to the compliance team, the guy probably went to his superviser to see if he could get out of having to do a home visit by not doing a compliance check at all, and his boss said no!

Nothing triggers these types of compliance checks - a computer randomly picks out claims to do a check on. It is how the DWP get their error and fraud statistics, from the randomly generated compliance checks - so with error and fraud being at 0.7%, you can see how many of these checks happen with no problems at all. And yes, sometimes it is found that the person is getting less than they should - for instance SDP's not being paid are a thing that is commonly picked up on these checks and corrected resulting in increased payment.

• Confused 1

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

compliance interview is most likely going to be about ESA, but if you are unsure then you should phone JC and ask them

the thing with your bank accounts sounds a bit confusing. if i understand what you have stated, you have at least 7 accounts (3 reward accounts, 3 savings accounts and an ISA) - i would suggest printing off last 2 months statements for each of them, unless of course there have been periods where your total capital has gone over £6k

Thankyou,

I looked again at my accounts and it does look quite confusing, because I have to fund each account with 1k a month to fit the rules of the reward accounts and I dont have 1k in each of them to do a clear 1k transfer and back I have to do several smaller transfers to make up the 1k all in one day so I don't know how they will look at that. As statements conclude by totalling money going in that month and money going out that month at the end the totals would look like I have had a lot of money going in unless they tediously go through a day to day work out, they will probably not be happy having to take so much time on them. Do they normally take statements away with them?

Also as you mentioned not going over 6k in total accounts including ISA I have noticed that on some occasions it has happened for short periods like a few days to just 1 day. This has happened at times when my esa payment has gone in very close to my dla payment and added to the isa its gone over the 6k.

I took some out of the isa yesterday to pay my water rates that I'm overdue with so that has dropped it a bit now but it doesnt stop what is showing on some of my past statements but its too late now anyway.

For example last month it went over because my dla and esa went in within a week and then the isa interest went in and although the isa is below 6k all combined it took it over 6k, I forgot about the interest.

My daughter was very ill in hospital at the time and everything just got left because I couldnt cope with dealing with anything because of the worry, no bills were paid no shopping bought so the balance stayed the same for a bit longer, I didnt even check my account it was the least important thing, shes still not better either but out of hospital now.

So its definitely gone over at times, sometimes a few days sometimes longer but does it have to be a full month over or any part of it and if its less than £250 over does that still count? I don't care about any money they will take off that I should have been charged but how will they sort it out and can I get into trouble for it?

So even this last months statement shows it over as it was the time my daughter was in hospital and the interest from isa went in and esa and dla, its made a bit of a mess of things.

Edited by Lady_K

Well, the moving money between accounts issue shouldn't be too difficult - just pre write a covering letter to go with the statements explaining what you do to keep the accounts open. Is there a reason you need all these accounts? If so put that in the covering letter too.

Regarding going over £6000, I doubt you'll get in any trouble for it, just have to pay back a small overpayment. It is £1 taken off your benefit for any week where your capital has been over £6000 during that week, but less than £6250. So if it went over the limit 10 times (during 10 separate weeks), then you'd have to pay £10 back.

Hope that helps.

To be honest I opened the 3 reward accounts simply because they reward £5 a month for each account, thats £15 a month including my main account which works out at £180 a year and its a lot to lose. Halifax have stopped it now though and only allow 1 reward account per person. I have had the accounts for a few years now and have just transferred the 1k a month between them to keep them open but they only changed the rules in April so that you have to have 2 monthly direct debits per account set up before 16th April. Because I found out late about the new rules I set up several dd savings accounts for £1 a month in case some didnt make it in time by 16th April with the intention of stopping the uneeded ones later. I also set up 2 lottery dd in case the savings dd's didnt go out on time with a plan to stop those also once the accounts were saved. If it wasnt for the rewards I wouldnt keep them. Im begining to wonder if they are worth it now.

The previous months before April dont look quite as bad as you can see its straight forward transferring between the accounts but with all the adding savings accounts dd's, the lottery dd's and a few utility dd's until the accounts are saved it looks a mess.

I have already swapped the utility dd's back to my main but that will only show on next months dd. I could close some of the savings accounts now and just keep the necessary 2 per account but I thought it might not look very good until they have sorted this stuff out but then I'll close them.

Also could I or the people I pay get into trouble for paying them cash in hand for doing jobs for me?

To be honest I opened the 3 reward accounts simply because they reward £5 a month for each account, thats £15 a month including my main account which works out at £180 a year and its a lot to lose. Halifax have stopped it now though and only allow 1 reward account per person. I have had the accounts for a few years now and have just transferred the 1k a month between them to keep them open but they only changed the rules in April so that you have to have 2 monthly direct debits per account set up before 16th April. Because I found out late about the new rules I set up several dd savings accounts for £1 a month in case some didnt make it in time by 16th April with the intention of stopping the uneeded ones later. I also set up 2 lottery dd in case the savings dd's didnt go out on time with a plan to stop those also once the accounts were saved. If it wasnt for the rewards I wouldnt keep them. Im begining to wonder if they are worth it now.

The previous months before April dont look quite as bad as you can see its straight forward transferring between the accounts but with all the adding savings accounts dd's, the lottery dd's and a few utility dd's until the accounts are saved it looks a mess.

I have already swapped the utility dd's back to my main but that will only show on next months dd. I could close some of the savings accounts now and just keep the necessary 2 per account but I thought it might not look very good until they have sorted this stuff out but then I'll close them.

Also could I or the people I pay get into trouble for paying them cash in hand for doing jobs for me?

I think you're right that it would just look suspect to be closing down the accounts.

Regarding paying people cash - you're not responsible for their business practices or what they declare to HMRC. Most workmen, handymen, plumbers, dogwalkers, cleaners are paid in cash.

Thanks, Could they ask me to name the people I pay in cash? I don't know if they would want me to.

The interview might not be all about the money though, its only a home visit because I've requested that but what are they likely to ask me? will they go through my esa application again or ask me to do anything physical or look around my house? They can look if they want but I just want to know what I should expect

Thanks, Could they ask me to name the people I pay in cash? I don't know if they would want me to.

The interview might not be all about the money though, its only a home visit because I've requested that but what are they likely to ask me? will they go through my esa application again or ask me to do anything physical or look around my house? They can look if they want but I just want to know what I should expect

No they won't want you to do anything physical or look around your house, it is just about checking that the amount you've been awarded is correct. They are generally looking at bankstatements for amounts going in, but will look at amounts going out if they believe money is being spent deliberately to keep below the capital limit - but this is only when larger amounts are involved, in which case they may ask what the amounts are for. With such complicated bankstatements, they may well just take copies away to look at later. They'll mainly want to check they see all of the relevant paperwork - ID, proof of address, proof of income (for instance other benefits), bankstatements, etc.

To answer the first question - if it was a large payment taking you under the capital limit then they might ask what it is for and a receipt for the work.

I cant give reciepts for my odd job man and private home help etc as I pay those cash in hand and dont get receipts. My daughter also gets me lump sums of money out every so often so I have money on me for anything I need to pay for, it saves her going back and forth and I just let her know when I'm running low. I just tell her to get the max amount out each time so it lets me which is £300 with halifax. They may think that is a large amount but I cant go myself and I try to cut down on trips to and from the cash machine that my daughters need to do for me. God knows with all this I feel really worried, I just hope they are going to be understanding.

I cant give reciepts for my odd job man and private home help etc as I pay those cash in hand and dont get receipts. My daughter also gets me lump sums of money out every so often so I have money on me for anything I need to pay for, it saves her going back and forth and I just let her know when I'm running low. I just tell her to get the max amount out each time so it lets me which is £300 with halifax. They may think that is a large amount but I cant go myself and I try to cut down on trips to and from the cash machine that my daughters need to do for me. God knows with all this I feel really worried, I just hope they are going to be understanding.

everything you've said sounds perfectly reasonable, and I can't see there being a problem at all. They are generally very nice people and understand how stressful the process can be.

Thanks, Well all I can do is provide the info that they request and try and keep calm and get it over with which is not easy for me I will probably be a complete mess I cant stop shaking since I got the letter to be honest.

Does anyone know if these officers have actually read my esa form or have details on my conditions as its quite embarrassing if they know intimate details about me, I'm just wondering how much personal information about my conditions and the care I recieve that I should be going into detail about with the compliance officer?

No, they won't normally know detail about your illness, they are simply there to assess the monetary side of things.

Thanks, Well all I can do is provide the info that they request and try and keep calm and get it over with which is not easy for me I will probably be a complete mess I cant stop shaking since I got the letter to be honest.

Does anyone know if these officers have actually read my esa form or have details on my conditions as its quite embarrassing if they know intimate details about me, I'm just wondering how much personal information about my conditions and the care I recieve that I should be going into detail about with the compliance officer?

The compliance officer will not want or need detailed information about your condition. They'll be more interested in the financial situation. It's also unlikely they'll have read your original claim form when they're just doing a routine check. They will probably have looked up the basics of your claim on the computer system JSAPS, but this holds only very basic medical details.

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

The interview at home was today, the man was here probably 10 minutes.

I rang a second time yesterday and he answered himself, I asked what the interview was for. He checked my file and said it was just a review and absolutely nothing to worry about and he said he wanted to reasure me it had nothing at all to do with my dla and esa claims it was basically so they had all info on me bang up to date. He gave examples such as to check if I'm working or have any other income.

He seemed not to want to worry me and said as soon as he walked through the door that he would be 5 mins. He explained about reviews and how departments talk to each other and said he had been contacted by the inland revenue saying that I have an isa and he had to check if it was below 6k. He asked if that was right and I said yes, he then asked if it was below 6k and if it had ever gone over 6k and I confirmed yes and no. He then said the revenue had told him that at one time I had 2 ISA's at the same time but I said no I had never had 2 at once. He then said well they don't always get it right and then went on to ask if I had any other form of income from anywhere such as pensions or work or anything and I said no. He then asked for proof of my ISA and I gave it to him, its below 6k so he didnt seem bothered he said we dont care as long as its below 6k.

He filled in a form as I was answering the questions, just a sheet of paper I think it was pale green. He explained that a v in one part meant verified meaning he had seen proof of my isa balance. I had to sign it to confirm my answers but now I'm worried what I have signed as I didnt read it.

Since hes gone its bugging me why revenue say I had 2 isas at one time, unless it was an overlap or something when transferring in a isa year. I think I remember once not tranferring one but just taking it out in full to put it into another new one, that may have been classed as having 2 even though one of them would have a balance of 0, thats all I can think of but do you think they will come back to me about this?

He wasnt interested in the bank accounts even though I gave them to him he didnt even look. He didnt even ask about accounts or savings accounts just the isa.

I am now closing the savings accounts and reward accounts and just keeping my main one, its really not worth the hassle or stress. I dont care about getting the rewards from the halifax accounts. I dont think its that straight forward though to close the accounts especially the savings ones as I cant go to a branch due to my health issues, you cant close them over the phone, online or by post.

I dont know what I've signed though

Edited by Lady_K

I am wondering why the officer only seemed interested in the revenue informing them of my isa, I gave him all my bank statements but he did not even want to look at them not even to see the balances or how many I had or the numbers or anything. Shouldnt he have checked through them?

Does anyone have any idea of what the form he filled in might have been? he said he just wrote down what I told him but he didnt read it back to me or give me the oportunity to read it he just pointed to where I needed to sign it. He didnt say if there would be anything further from this or not so because he didnt say that will be the end of the matter I'm wondering if it wont be..

I got the feeling he might not believe me when I said no I had no other income from anywhere at all and had never gone over 6k on my isa but perhaps its me just as usual worrying about everything. I'm condfused as to why the revenue would say I had 2 isas at one timedo you think they will be tripple checking that?

I do think though that after calling them twice prior to the interview and asking what it was for and being reassurred that it was a routine review, they could have told me it was a query from the revenue about an isa but they did not. It might be because they want to see your reaction when told to judge if they think you are lying, I suppose its understandable they have to do thier job. I dont really believe there are reviews without some query or report on them no matter what they say.

Do you think he will be back again?

I've now closed the new savings accounts I opened to create the £1 a month dd 'd to keep the reward accounts going and I'm going to close the two extra reward accounts as well, Tthe £5 a month reward from each of them is not worth the worry plus they may consider it income do you think?