style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently staying with my parents and I have received a hand delivered letter from Jacobs Bailiffs. I am terrified that they will remove my parents goods to pay off my debts. What can I do as I am currently unemployed and receive only JSA each week. The letter says 24 hours notice of another visit by bailiffs.

Can they take my parents car?

More Information

Sorry, my first post was written in some panic, so here is some more information.

The debt is for non-payment of Council Tax some 5 years ago. At that time I was on Disability Allowance and in a bad way.

The debt is £530 and I do not have the money. I have a car outside my parents house, but it doesnt run and the value is negligiable. Aside from that I do not have any assets, I lost everything when I lost my house about 2 years ago. I just have my clothes and a few books. Nothing of any value.

The bailiffs will have a liability order nothing else no court order,warrant whatever they want to call it

There is no right of entry for the bailiffs no locksmith no arrest no nothing

Keep the bailiff out do not let them in

Contact the council to find out the correct amount owing as bailiffs lie and increase the price

you do not need to deal with the bailiffs any form of payment should go direct to the council

You will need to sort the council tax debt as it wont go away although no blood in a stone

• Confused 1

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thanks for that. So what will happen to my car. I cant move it, it doesnt run, will they take it?

What about my parents goods outside the house (their car and things like furniture and mowers in the garden sheds). What about the garage? Can they go into the garage and take items?

They can not levy goods that do not belong to the debtor

As for the car it would not cover the fees never mind the debt so could be classed as invalid if they done so

never pay the bailiff

if you can pay the council direct online what you can afford each week something is always better than nothing

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

When you say it could be classed as invalid is there any way that I can make sure that it is classed as invalid.

And how do I ensure that they are aware that none of the other goods belong to me? I am worried that they will just come into the garden and take my parents mower and garden furniture if there is nobody around. And if they take them, how can I get them back for my parents?

Move the car so the bailiff doesn't see it, then get your parents to swear a Statutory Declaration to the effect that you are living with parents after becoming homeless, and all Goods and chattels in on and around the premises are theirs, there are no goods of value belonging to the named debtor at the address, get 4 notarised copies, send one to the office at jacobs, one to the council who are owed the debt, along with a covering letter offering £x per week off the arrears, and keep a couple spare, one to show the numpty from Jacobs when he comes back and clamps your parents car(s) Jacobs are great at theft and unlawful interference with third party cars.

Above all don't panic.

As a matter of interest and to help Caggers give best advice you mentioned disability. Are you disabled and suffering form a long ternm heakth issue ? If so you may come into the vulnerable category of the National Standards which render bailiff action inappropriate both Jacobs and the council should adhere to this so send proof of the disability and appraise them of the situation when sending the Stat dec.

Vulnerable situations

 Enforcement agents/agencies and creditors must recognise that

they each have a role in ensuring that the vulnerable and socially

excluded are protected and that the recovery process includes

procedures agreed between the agent/agency and creditor about

how such situations should be dealt with. The appropriate use of

discretion is essential in every case and no amount of guidance

could cover every situation, therefore the agent has a duty to

contact the creditor and report the circumstances in situations

where there is evidence of a potential cause for concern. If

necessary, the enforcement agent will advise the creditor if further

action is appropriate. The exercise of appropriate discretion is

needed, not only to protect the debtor, but also the enforcement

agent who should avoid taking action which could lead to

accusations of inappropriate behaviour.

 Enforcement agents must withdraw from domestic premises if the

only person present is, or appears to be, under the age of 18; they

can ask when the debtor will be home - if appropriate.

 Enforcement agents must withdraw without making enquiries if the

only persons present are children who appear to be under the age

of 12.

 Wherever possible, enforcement agents should have

arrangements in place for rapidly accessing translation services

when these are needed, and provide on request information in

large print or in Braille for debtors with impaired sight.

 Those who might be potentially vulnerable include:

 the elderly;

 people with a disability;

 the seriously ill;

 the recently bereaved;

 single parent families;

 pregnant women;

 unemployed people; and,

 those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or

reading English.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

What you need to do is contact the council you owe the money to. They need to be aware that you are on JSA and there are issues of vulnerability. Councils have to take these council tax debts back from bailiffs, if there are issues of vulnerability. They have no choice in the matter.

So get on the phone to the relevant council and ask to speak to someone about council tax arrears for vulnerable people. They may ask you to send in details of JSA claim and possibly a note from your GP about disability issues you have suffered from. Ask the council to contact Jacobs to put matters on hold, while this is sorted out. Once the council are satisfied that you need to make a payment arrangement with them directly, you will be asked to pay them x amount per fortnight or per month.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

How do Isign a Statutory Declaration? What is it and where do I get one. Apologies for so many questions but I am pancked about this, my parents are terrified of car being taken and I need to act quickly.

Edited by NC1963
misspelled

Thank you everybody for your help. I have been able to make an arrangement with the council and they are going to contact the bailiffs today and " call them off".

Thank you very much for all of your advice.

As they recalled it make sure they remove the fees as well.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!