Egg Credit Card now BarclayCard - Marlin DCA chasing

brubaker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

am I reading this right

the £1 fee is out the window?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no,

I know how it reads,

but I think under s78(1) it says on payment of fee of £1 shall give the debtor. I do think this is significant-(8)

However, where a firm is aware that an agreement is unenforceable because of non-compliance with an information request

under section 77, 78 or 79 of the CCA,

a firm should make it clear when communicating to a customer about a debt that the debt is in fact unenforceable.

Failure to do so, in that case, would in the FCA's view unfairly mislead the customer by omission.

Any communication that implies expressly or otherwise that a debt is enforceable

when it is known that it is not,

would be misleading.

One way to avoid this would be for the firm to explain to the customer the full meaning of 'unenforceable'.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

I might get another letter out to them,

so they can clearly state the agreement is infact unenforceable.

If indeed they do comply,

would I have grounds for having the debt removed from my credit file

or at least a statement of correction made?

By the way jus sent another SAR to give me data from the year 2001 to date.

Thanks

• 11 months later...

UPDATE:

The Egg debt has now been removed from my credit file, the credit company had to confirm with creditor and they agreed. Debt is statue barred (over 6 years old now).

Presumably the creditor will no longer chase the debt?

Also I have all the SAR paperwork from Barclays. What is the process for reclaiming the penalty charges etc? I believe there is a spreadsheet? Once I have completed the spreadsheet, what are the next steps?

Thanks guys

have read of sabresheeps Barclays thread

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi BB,

If the debt is now SB'd, I think there is no point in reclaiming penalty charges unless they exceed the a/c balance.

Even though the debt cannot now be pursued or enforced, any amount you reclaim in penalty charges CAN be set against the unpaid balance if BC purchase the a/c back from any subsequent owner.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

As Slick states, it is worth doing only if the total claim exceeds the outstanding balance. Only you can tell us that :)

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi

Does anyone have a copy of the compound interest calculator. The one DX posted I can no longer download it appears to be trying to download as a .php file and not and xls file.

CISheet v101.xls

Thanks

And another question? Even though my debt is now statue barred, am I still able to claim for the o/d penalty charges and interest even though they may be more then 6 years old?

Thanks

Hi Bru is this the thread you were referring to in your pm?

If your O/D penalty charges refer to this credit card, then yes you can reclaim even though the debt is SB

However the debt still exists and the orginal creditor has the right to buy back the debt and offset any award against the debt.

Therefore you need to make sure the claim is worth more than the debt.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?423713-Barclaycard-Link has most of the resources you need. the calculator should be linked somewhere if not we can find it..

Do you have a statement for every charge?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The link you have above CIsheet works for me.

Once you know if it is worth progressing, let us know.

Feel free to use the sheet and then upload a completed version for feedback.

Your next step would be to draft a letter before action. Templates availabel in the cag library or on my and others threads.

Again use this thread to draft.

Hi Sabre

This is the thread I am referring to yes :-)

The O/D penalty charges refer to the credit card in this thread. The link to the calculator does not work for me.

I have all the paperwork from BC going back further then 6 years (2nd request), so I will calculate and start the ball rolling. I gather you were successful in a similar scenario, so some useful tips would be great.

Thanks

its a IE 11 issue

simply select save as... rename the file to cisheet.xls

and they

I am having no problem opening and saving the file ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks DX

Brubaker, all my tips etc are in the thread I linked.

Ask any questions you need to :)

Hi BB,

Probably best not to refer to credit card charges as O/D charges. O/D charges refer to charges incurred on a bank current a/c and these are NOT reclaimable.

I assume you mean over-limit fees. All credit card charges are lumped together including :-

Over-limit fees

Late payment fees

Missed payment fees

Bounced cheque, DD or payment fees

If these refer to a SB'd debt, we'd only recommend reclaiming penalty charges IF the charges and interest exceed the balance owed on the a/c, as per my post #81 above.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick

Yes your correct, I mean credit card account and not bank account. I never had a bank account with Egg (now BC) only a credit card and bank loan.

Over-limit fees

Late payment fees

Missed payment fees

Bounced cheque, DDlink3.gif or payment fees

Ok looking at the statements, the amount including compound interest is unlikely to exceed the debt that was outstanding. Therefore it is not advisable to proceed?

At a guess the charges including compound interest are unlikely to exceed £1000.

Also that answers my thoughts about reclaiming overdraft charges with my HSBC bank account.

Hi BB and sorry to spoil the HSBC charges reclaim. :-(

Compound interest can have a huge impact on the amount you could reclaim.

So never mind "at a guess" - put the charges data on a compound int't spready and check for sure. Unless the reclaim total exceeds the a/c balance by a few hundred pounds, leave it.