Interest added by Cabot After Card debt sale - Is that Correct?

tedney
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From research on other threads, I have understood that DCA's should not add interest to a debt. Is this correct:?:.

I had a credit card account which was defaulted and then closed (by the creditor).

I have been paying regular monthly payments to the original creditor,

and most of these have been recorded and are shown on copy statements that I received following an SAR.

The account was "charged off" by the OC and at that point and further interest was not added by the OC after that.

The account was then marked "Debt Sale" on the copy statements, and then a DCA started to add interest, despite my monthly payments continuing.

I have received no statements from the DCA, but my file on the CRA's show the sum owed as increasing.

The account does not show on the CRA anymore, as it is over 6 years old now.

I have the original agreement, but cannot find any reference to "transferring" the right to charge interest,

or for that matter any other aspect of the account, to a third party.

Where should I be looking:?: Is there a part of an act I can quote regarding "unlawful" interest please. Any help welcome. Thanks t :???:

Edited by citizenB
formatting

It is my understanding that interest cannot be added to the debt after it has been defaulted and terminated by the original creditor.

What this would amount to would be a charge for debt collection and again it is my understanding that it is not permitted.

On what basis is the new owner adding interest ?

Can you let us know which DCA this is? If you are concerned about posting the name on the public forum, you can private message it to me.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

not link is it!!

they cannot charge interest 

however

tell more about the debt please

and name names

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Not Link!

Prefer not to give out too much info,

I have PM'd citizenB.

After a few years, DCA is chasing again now, so do not want identify.

Incidentally, an original agreement has not been supplied by DCA, as when I CCA'd the OC,

I got a letter from another OC who would have had no involvement with the running of the account when it was open!

I have the terms and conditions supplied when I opened the account, but not a signed agreement.

Should I ask for one again?

there is no need for secret squirrel

yes cca the chaser.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i myself am looking into this as i am unsure,

If the account has been terminated by the original creditor, then assigned to a debt agency, i cannot see how they can charge post termination contractual interest. The rights might have been assigned to collect the outstanding balance, but not contractual interest as the agreement is terminated

We will then have the case if it was applicable for them to claim interest etc, they would have to send a notice of default sums to the debtor to be effectual to claim default sums if they are now the creditor by assignment

If the account was assigned as live, that is not terminated, then their will be no question that they can charge interest.

The only other avenue to explore would be if the original contract allowed the debt agency to charge post contractual interest

This is just my educated opinion and based on no supporting evidence, and is totally subjective in my reasoning

Edited by squaddie

Account certainly defaulted, and certainly closed by OC, I have that in writing.

Usual ignoring of correspondence by OC,

then I started monthly payments, as set out by CAB.

When this happened, I subsequently found out, (copy statements were sent nearly three years later) the account was marked "charged off",

and no interest added by OC from this time (charged off).

Payments to OC were continued, no statements forthcoming from anyone,

but subsequently (as above) payments recorded as received until one year later,

when copy statement from OC shows "Debt Sale".

No statements from anyone since, payments to OC continued, occassional letters from DCA with oustanding balance increasing,

and CRA's reporting increase, as well as monthly payments (of course less than sums addedd by DCA).

No correspondence from DCA since 2009, until now, when outstanding balance shown has increased about 50% over original sum,

this in six and half years since DN.

Monthly payments were accepted by the OC until about two years ago, when, without any correspondence or advice,

they are regularly returned by the bank!

Have you retained the notices of the payments being returned ? Those would be very useful in proving that you have indeed been paying, they just aren't accepting those payments.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes, clearly shown on my bank statements, date and time and amount of payment, and corresponding amount shown as a credit from "suspense account" approx. two weeks later! This happens every month.

Have you obtained a copy of the agreement?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Remember people

Just because an agreement has been terminated by the original creditor, the rights to collect any outstanding balance still remain

Only a court or the creditor can end the agreement

It is just the rights to claim interest post assignment that i am debating. This is by a new creditor under assignment on a terminated agreement under contract

If a claim is issued in the civil court, a creditor can claim 8% statutory interest up to judgement from the time the claim was issued, and post judgement if the court allows

Have you obtained a copy of the agreement?

No, I sent a CCA section 78 request to OC last year,

got a response from another creditor,

quoting an alien account number,

and also had name and address issues with their response and

saying they destroyed my cheque (I sent a postal order - not cashed) quote

" As the details you provided do not match the details on our records, we are currently unable to respond".

needless to say I queried this and got an identical letter back.

I have not sent CCA to DCA though.

I,very just had a letter from Cxxxx today saying that if I don,t make payments they will add interest...this is a very old Cities debt I,all be interested to see if they can do this

I have been making payments, and they are still adding interest.

They tried these threats a few years back, and came unstuck I think, the interest I don't think is allowed unless the original agreement specifically allows it.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Ok, where might it be shown on the original please?

I have looked (I have "original" signed application) but cannot find any references to what happens in the event of default/closed as confirmed by OC

As I have not been receiving regular statements, is this in breach of the CC Act?

I have sent of request see post 13 above. Will wait and see. Seems to me I should stop payments:-)

As I have not been receiving regular statments, is this in breach of the CC Act?

Yes statement should be supplied at least annually.

Just thought, OC stopped interest after DN, I have copy statements, these statements also show payments in, reducing balances. Does this help in "fighting" interest added by DCA? Statements from OC stopped when account assigned to DCA.