Parking ticket received on university campus, valid pay & display displayed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently parked on my University campus in a pay & display bay, displaying a valid ticket. Once i got back to my car I had received a PCN notice. I challenge this and was told that because I was because I was student I wasn't permitted to park there. This seem like a punitive measure by the University.

I would like to challenge this as it seems unfair and unreasonable as I genuinely made a mistake.

Could anyone please let me know the best course of action.

Forgot to add... I have a valid parking permit for a satellite campus (only valid there) and also there is no alternative parking for students at the main campus

ignore it

its a speculative invoice

NOT a VALID parkig ticket

the only ones you MUST pay

are those that say:

PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE

and ONLY those 3 EXACT words

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So, it was "pay & display, for staff only"?

If you weren't permitted to "pay & display" you might find yourself in this position where the University might not be able to obtain the charge they have imposed via the courts, but beware : their Terms for students may have a clause where they can withhold your exam results if they believe you owe the Unversity money.

Would one of the reps at the Student Union be a good source of advice for if this is a possible pitfall you might face?

Edited by BazzaS

How much is the "punitive measure"?

Who's the ticket from?

Have you signed a contract with the university, either when you got your parking permit, or in the t&c's when you enrolled?

Thanks for your message.

The ticket has been issue by The Car Parking Partnership (TCPP) for £50 increasing to £75 after 2 weeks, I don't believe that I've signed a contract however was told by the TCPP appeal panel that the permitted car parks are in the student handbook.

It seems ludicrous that there is no were to park at the main campus unless you buy an annual permit, just for a couple of times a year.

So, it was "pay & display, for staff only"?

If you weren't permitted to "pay & display" you might find yourself in this position where the University might not be able to obtain the charge they have imposed via the courts, but beware : their Terms for students may have a clause where they can withhold your exam results if they believe you owe the Unversity money.

Would one of the reps at the Student Union be a good source of advice for if this is a possible pitfall you might face?

Thanks for your message.

I spoke to a friend today regarding my issue and you are right her degree was held back because of an unpaid library charge. Will contact the S-U for advice

Thanks for your message.

I spoke to a friend today regarding my issue and you are right her degree was held back because of an unpaid library charge. Will contact the S-U for advice

It was a pay and display for staff and visitors un be-known to me.

OP paid for a pay and display ticket for that car park. He owes them nothing, end of!

End of what?

Education?

How many students do you reckon go to the uni, and then you'd let them all park in the pay and display?

Several thousand students, a few hundred parking spaces?

So no lectures today, the lecturers had to go home again?

Back to the op though.

What does it say in the handbook, which you agreed to as a contract when you signed up to the uni?

(The reason you get offered an annual permit, is it'll be first come first served, when the excess spaces not needed for the lecturers are gone, they're gone.

For a couple of times a year, catch the bus)

End of what?

Education?

How many students do you reckon go to the uni, and then you'd let them all park in the pay and display?

Several thousand students, a few hundred parking spaces?

So no lectures today, the lecturers had to go home again?

Back to the op though.

What does it say in the handbook, which you agreed to as a contract when you signed up to the uni?

(The reason you get offered an annual permit, is it'll be first come first served, when the excess spaces not needed for the lecturers are gone, they're gone.

For a couple of times a year, catch the bus)

Its quite simple really, there was a charge for a car to be put on that space, OP paid the charge to put his car on that space! Simple!

hello all:-)

It was a pay and display for staff and visitors un be-known to me.

If it was staff only, then they might have a list of "eligible" cars.

However, if it was staff AND visitors :

How do they know your car hadn't been borrowed by a friend who was a bona fide visitor, who (being eligible to use that car park) paid the fee, and thus discharged their obligation?

It might have been.

They might have cancelled the pcn.

But as the op challenged it, and admitted he parked, he's where he is now.

Correct.

So, in my opinion, he needs to appeal the ticket. He will need to find out what they claim the "£75 charge" is for, ie breach of contract, trespass, contractual charge ect.

What does it say on the signs on the visitor car park?

What does it say about the car parks in the student handbook?

When TCPP turned down your appeal where you given a POPLA code?

What does it say on the signs on the visitor car park?

What does it say about the car parks in the student handbook?

When TCPP turned down your appeal where you given a POPLA code?

Signs aren't that important if he has a specific contract with reference to the handbook, and the t&c's he signed on to.

Popla isn't important as they won't be pursuing the registered keeper, it sounds like the op has already admitted he's the driver.

It would be worth posting up the relevant clauses in the handbook though.

Signs aren't that important if he has a specific contract with reference to the handbook, and the t&c's he signed on to.

Popla isn't important as they won't be pursuing the registered keeper, it sounds like the op has already admitted he's the driver.

It would be worth posting up the relevant clauses in the handbook though.

He still has a right to appeal to POPLA.

So tell him one, as clearly he's going to need one when he contacts the Car Parking Partnership again!

He could appeal to POPLA on the grounds that he is not liable for the charge, the charge is a penalty, the £75 is not a true estimate of loss does the PPC have authority of the Landowner to demand this sum.

He could appeal on the basis that the PPC has not indicated what reason they are charging him for.

There are many appeal point he could use to POPLA, a read around of the internet will give him plenty of ideas.

I am sure you could help with some appeal points as well, you have a sound knowledge of the PPC world!

He could appeal to POPLA on the grounds that he is not liable for the charge, the charge is a penalty, the £75 is not a true estimate of loss does the PPC have authority of the Landowner to demand this sum.

He could appeal on the basis that the PPC has not indicated what reason they are charging him for.

There are many appeal point he could use to POPLA, a read around of the internet will give him plenty of ideas.

I am sure you could help with some appeal points as well, you have a sound knowledge of the PPC world!

I actually meant a valid reason to get a number for the Popla appeal.

I wouldn't give him one if I was the PPC.

Popla was a condition of the Protection of Freedoms act 2012 schedule 4, if you want to pursue the RK, for a PCN.

Also it's part of the BPA code of practice, if you need to use the DVLA to obtain RK details.

As if often said, it doesn't affect any contract, trespass, or alter any other legislation.

The op has put his hand up to leaving the car were it was.

The PPC has had correspondence, so must have a contact address.

It's only binding on the PPC, not the driver. So what's in it for the PPC?

Best you could do is complain to the judge about it at at the hearing.

But, if they did give out one

"He could appeal to POPLA on the grounds that he is not liable for the charge"

- he's already admitted parking in breach of the student handbook

"the charge is a penalty, the £75 is not a true estimate of loss"

- certainly put this in, but it could easily be part of the contract in the t&c's of the uni, and Popla have not accepted this if the PPC does give them any figures as a response.

"does the PPC have authority of the Landowner to demand this sum."

- again, put this in, but they seem to have from what's been posted already. If the PPC doesn't respond to Popla, it's still a winner.

"He could appeal on the basis that the PPC has not indicated what reason they are charging him for."

- parking in a car park he is prohibited from parking in, as per the student handbook.

Is it though? Is it a list of where you can park, as opposed to where you can't? How clear is it?

I'd be inclined to post up the handbook, and see how watertight the clauses are in there first though.

But, first, a begging letter to the uni, and a promise not to do it again would be a better starting point.

Thanks all for your input. I have looked through the student handbook and it states:

"You may bring your car to the campus. However, car parking will be for permit holders only and clamping is in operation on this campus for car found without permits. It is very important that you only park in your assigned student parking area, overwise the University Security will issue you with a fine.

I believe this to be very vague. No where in the student handbook does it state '"in your student handbook that students are not permitted to park in the visitors car parks.

The response from CPP is attached:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the above Civil Parking Notice (CPN). I have considered the case carefully and have decided to reject your appeal on the following grounds;

The parking attendant has recorded that your vehicle was parked in a restricted area. It is clearly stated in the signage and in your student handbook that students are not permitted to park in the visitors car parks.

I am confident that all signage and the CPN are compliant with all industry standards and to the British Parking Association's code of practice to which we subscribe.

You now have the following options;

1. Pay the CPN at the discounted amount of �0 within 14 days. Please note after this time the Civil Parking Notice will increase to the full charge of 75.

Payment can be made:

* Online by visiting

* By sending a cheque or postal order made payable to Car Parking Partnership to: Car Parking Partnership PO Box 597 Northampton NN4 7XN.

* By Debit or Credit Card (except American Express). Please call 01604 625 613 and have your card details and information held in this letter to hand.

2. You may also make an appeal to POPLA - The Independent Appeals Service. If you wish to make an appeal to POPLA, information on how to appeal can be found at

The verification code you will need in order to appeal to the Independent Appeals Service is 3561273501 and the appeals form you will need is also available on the above link. It is important that you reference the verification code on the appeals form in the required section at the bottom of the form as appeals submitted without this code will not be assessed.

If you opt for independent arbitration of your case you will lose the opportunity to pay the discounted offer and the full parking charge of �5 will apply should your appeal be rejected.

Please note the independent adjudicator is unable to waive the parking Notice because of mitigating circumstances and a decision will be based on facts and evidence only.

If you choose to do nothing, we will seek to recover the monies owed to us via our debt recovery procedures and may proceed with court action against you.

Yours Sincerely,

The Car Parking Partnership

well that is VERY old and TOTALLY out of date.

you cant be clamped on private land anymore

and they are using the word 'fine' [no such thing on private land]

pers i'd totally ignore everyone now.

let them explain that away in court!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...