Help with Champion Soccer letter.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1641 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year me and some friends started playing 6 a side football. To join I simply completed a application and returned it via email. w+w+w.championsoccer.co.uk/temp...ation+form.pdf. This form had no signature on it, I didn't sign or see any credit agreement and has no breakdown of costs.

As it turned out my team could not play the last few games of the season. I then got an Invoice through the post asking for double match fees for the games we missed. I ignored the invoice. I then a few months later got a chasing later from them threatening court action unless I paid. I again ignored it.

It's been a few months since and today I have received a similar letter through the post today demanding £402.00 from from. The letter is entitled Proposed Court action urgent attention and reads as follows:-

Despite written and verbal correspondence from Champion Soccer the above debt remains unpaid.

You now leave us no choice alternative but to make a application to Northampton county court to recover this amount. Please be aware that in the likely event of our application being successful you will be liable for the court costs , in addition to to your credit rating being negatively affected.

Our application will be made on the 17th of May 2013 without any further warning, unless we hear from you before 4pm on the date.

Please do not ignore this notice. We are happy to discuss a payment plan.

Needless to say this letter has got me a little worried. It goes back to last yr when my team couldn't play the last few games. I have never signed anything from this company and all I have done is complete the application form by email seen in the above posts.

They even have my DOB as 1860.

I have never agreed to any of this. I'm surprised this is the only this I could find about this online as teams pull out of the leagues all the time. They must be threatening to take a lot of people to court.

What should I do about this?

Thanks

Edited by Agentjazz

Hello and Welcome Agentjazz,

I have started a new thread for you, hopefully you'll get some advice shortly.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

As the amount being pursued then their attempt to make you believe there will be loads of costs involved if they were to issue a claim is scaremongering. IF they were to issue a claim then it will be small claims and there will be minimal costs involved.

What was the arrangement with your friends to play this type of game ? If push came to shove, would they share the cost of this.

I think we saw another thread similar to this last year sometime, I am not quite sure what happened in the end. I will try and find it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?356111-Champion-Soccer-Debt&highlight=Champion+Soccer

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?337147-Icon-Collections-Help&highlight=Champion+Soccer

Here you go, two other threads regarding this. Sadly there appears to be no conclusions. I am assuming that claims have not been issued, because the thread starters have not returned to advise. I would give it a little time for others to visit your thread over the weekend.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Agentjazz, looking in as asked.

It doesn't matter if this is a credit agreement or not - what matters is whether you signed or agreed to an agreement that obliged you to pay certain amounts as set out in the agreement.

It's important that the agreement is fair or reasonable to you as a consumer and it should be signed by you. However, if you applied on-line, it may be that you signified agreement by ticking a box.

The threat of penalty or admin charges for late or non-payment is not a problem. Any such charges will be penalties and they're NOT enforceable in law.

As said above, we've seen similar cases but we don't know how they were resolved. However, if any court action is taken, you have every chance to defend and we'll assist with this. Also, if they managed to get a Judgement against you, you can avoid it being formally registered by paying the amount due within 30 days of the Judgement.

I suggest you reply to Champion Soccer as follows:-

I refer to your demands for an alleged debt of £402. I acknowledge no such debt being owed to you.

To enable me to consider this matter fully, please send me copies of all relevant documents including any contract or agreement signed by me.

Please also supply a complete breakdown of the amount you allege is owed. If the total includes any admin or penalty charges, these will not be paid as they are unenforceable penalties which have no basis in law.

See how they respond.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you for your responses guys.

The only thing I have ever completed from the company is a basic team registration from which you can see here w+w+wchampionsoccer.co.u k/temp...ation+form.pdf (the forum won't let me post links so you'll have to remove the + signs from the web address to see it)

I simply typed my details onto the form and emailed back to a champion soccer general email address. At no point did I sign the form and at no point did I agree to anything that they are demanding from me.

I really don't see how they are trying to say this is a legally binding document. It's surely not?? What do you guys think looking at the form?

Thank you for your help.

I have provided a copy of the link for site team to have a look at for you.

BCOBS

Thanks to CitB for linking to the Application Form which I've now seen.

I still say you should write to the company as per my post above and see how they respond.

:wink:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks,

I only thing is if I respond to them I acknowledge them and also who I am. At the moment I could just be some made up person in theory. I am just angry with myself now for using my real name and address. I could of and should of just used a fake name and address on the form then they would have just been chasing air.

I mean how could they actually prove it was me that completed the form other than it came from a Yahoo email address with my name?

Do you still think I should respond?

Thank you for your advice on this, it's a real help.

Hi AJ,

You signed up and what's done is done. You used your proper details and that's how it should have been.

If you ignore them hoping it'll go away, that might not happen and in theory they could take court action. Deal with this properly to avoid that happening.

Write to them as suggested and see what comes back.

If there IS something to pay, can you get the others involved to contribute, so you're not the only one paying what's owed by the team ?

:wink:

Did Agentjazz pay the £25 registration fee.If not,surely no agreement has been made.

Hidden away in the site under FAQ's,there is the following,

Are there any hidden costs?

No - there is a one off affiliation fee at the start of the season, and a set weekly fee.

What the weekly fee is,????.No figure is given.

Regards,John.

So we didn't ever pay the registration fee. The match co-ordinators asked for it a few times from us but it was never paid. I believ.e that's part of what they are saying I owe them.

The match fee was £32.00 per game, which is not indicated on the form I completed. What they are trying to do is charge me a double match fee for all the games we missed which is completely unfair and something I would never had agreed to. It also doesn't state this anywhere on the completed form.

As for getting the other team members to share the cost, well I have less than 0% chance of getting that to happen.

As I said before loads of other teams pull out all the time. It is very unrealistic to expect every team to complete a full season especially when you don't even know how many games that you're signing up for. You complete the registration form and a week or so later you get the fixture list that tells you how many games there are after you have signed up..

How can you agree to fulfill every fixture when you don't know how many games there are going to be in the first place?? It's just a complete joke.

Hi,

I have had the same letter...

I cant see how court action can be justified.

This doesnt state anywhere that this is a contract and at no point were we showed t&c's regarding the 'contract'. No where does it state that the application form is regulated by any consumer credit act or that this is protected by any laws. In fact it doesnt state that any legal activity was taken when the application form was drawn up.

This is basically a piece of paper agreed by us. Couldnt anybody write something similar on word and get someone to sign it ? Its like me taking someone to court because they agreed they would pay for my petrol for a year but havent...

Also... this will affect my credit rating... at no point did i sign a credit agreement or a fixed sum loan agreement stating i owe them '£££' and this will be paid in sums of '££' per week. Can someone blackmark you if they havent got your bank details ??

Thanks, feedback would be appreciated

Hi Mtich and welcome to CAG

If someone decides to take court action against you, that is their prerogative.

One would assume they would carefully weigh up the pros and cons before taking such action, including whether they have a signed contract or agreement which they think may persuade a judge that their claim is valid and fair.

There doesn't need to be a credit agreement or a formal legal document signed by all parties and witnessed, etc, etc. However, without a good contract as part of their claim, you stand a good chance of defending any court action.

The likelyhood is that the threats of court action will not be followed through and Champion Soccer (or their DCA) are just chancing their luck.

Also, in these circumstances, if they tried to put adverse data about this on your CRA files, you should be able to get it removed and possibly even take action for damages if they had no contractual right to post such adverse data.

If you want to discuss your case further, please start your own thread.

:-D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...