Regal consultants ltd chasing cancelled motor ins payment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3981 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Need help on this scary letter i've had from regal.

I've wanted to cancel my car insurance over the phone but they wanted in writing

so i've argued over they can start insurance over the internet or phone so why cant they cancel it same way?

in the end ive sent a letter with my canceling request and put a date on the letter of the day i've phoned them first time.

Unfortunately they didnt accepted it and passed £107 debt to this nasty regal consultants which they think they've got Country Court Judgment against me

and if i dont pay by 7 day they will send bailifs and all tha.

Sounds too quick and bulls.t to be honest

So do you guys think i should pay it or just defend my case?

Thanks in advance

Can you please follow the instructions below and post up your letter, properly edited of all personal information.

Please NOTE: Regal are a Debt Collection Agency, they are NOT a Bailiff, they cannot simply send Bailiffs to your home, they would have had to issue a court claim and follow other pre action protocol before they even issued a claim. They then have to win their claim, and you would then have to refuse to pay the Judgment debt for them to take further enforcement.

Summary.

You cancelled your Insurance on the telephone - which they wouldn't accept. Insisting that you cancelled in writing. The company is internet based and it would appear the only time they will deal in writing is when you want to cancel.

You did this, and used the date of the telephone call as the start of the cancellation period. IMHO, this would be accepted by a court so Regal are very wrong in their claims.

Instructions for posting up documents, below.

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

scan the requiredletters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or ir you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Meanwhile, do not speak to Regal on the telephone unless you are in a position to record the call.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You are welcome. Any problems posting the letter up, just shout :)

BCOBS

Here you go. I have edited out the reference number as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43707[/ATTACH]

BCOBS

Righto, well they are saying that if you don't pay it within 7 days they will recommend that further action will be taken against you.

This is what is classed as a threatogram, because as already advised, they would need to follow pre action protocol first and they haven't.

I will have a think about what you can write back to them.

I will pop a draft up a little later today.

BCOBS

Righto, here you go.. One letter for Regal.. I suggest that you send it by Recorded delivery at the very least in order that you receive a signature of receipt. If they have a Head Office/Registered Office on that letter, send it there. Please keep us updated of any further issues with this company :)

Dear Sir or Madam,

Their letter reference

Account number if applicable.

I am in receipt of your letter DATED and I would respond as follows.

First of all, let me point out that your letter fail to comply with OFT guidelines, in fact I would go so far as to say it breaches every guideline.

Your letter is misleading and intimidatory, it also fails to point out that your client would first have to issue a claim and WIN in order for any of the actions you claim you ARE going to do could be done.

I would point out that this contract was cancelled in accordance with the terms and conditions of Quinn Insurance Direct Limited . I contacted Quinn by telephone as advised on their website and followed up my verbal cancellation in writing. Which they have acknowledged receipt of.

Therefore, I do not see that I owe your client any monies at all and would be happy to defend myself against any claim made.

Please note that I will be forwarding a copy of your letter to the Office of Fair Trading and I request a copy of your Complaints procedure to be sent to me within 7 days of you receiving this letter.

I trust I have made my position clear and other than receiving a copy of the Complaints procedure requested above, I trust I will not hear from you again.

Yours etc.

Ok, well I had a quick peek of their cancellation policy on their website.. and it definitely says "To cancel your policy contact us on : Telephone number".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43708[/ATTACH]

BCOBS

Can I make a coupe of points here.

When you purchase car insurance, you pay for a year's cover. I would imagine that when you enter into a direct debit installment arrangement, you enter into a credit agreement to which you will be bound to until the full premium is paid. If you choose to terminate the policy before it has been paid off, then no doubt there will be a cancellation charge involved and it usually has to be done by mutual agreement.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Can I make a coupe of points here.

When you purchase car insurance, you pay for a year's cover. I would imagine that when you enter into a direct debit installment arrangement, you enter into a credit agreement to which you will be bound to until the full premium is paid. If you choose to terminate the policy before it has been paid off, then no doubt there will be a cancellation charge involved and it usually has to be done by mutual agreement.

Hmm, yes I see your point. The OP doesn't actually say if the cancellation was mid ways through the contract or if it was at the renewal stage.

Perhaps if you could confirm this ashozturk, it might mean looking at this in a different way.

Although their letter is without doubt full of OFT breaches we might need to amend the rest of the letter I drafted.

Thanks for pointing this out SS :)

BCOBS

Hmm, yes I see your point. The OP doesn't actually say if the cancellation was mid ways through the contract or if it was at the renewal stage.

Perhaps if you could confirm this ashozturk, it might mean looking at this in a different way.

Although their letter is without doubt full of OFT breaches we might need to amend the rest of the letter I drafted.

Thanks for pointing this out SS :)

No worries. :welcome:

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi Guys,

When i've phoned up she hasnt even mentioned about the cancelation fee all she was saying is send a letter requesting canceling insurance policy with quinns direct.

I mean i can dig out the original policy document to clarify this but im %100 sure they only asking money for cancelation period because they wouldnt accept it over the phone and i wouldnt send a letter.

If that helps?

thanks again./

Righto, well send the letter I drafted. If there was no mention of a cancellation fee then I reckon the letter is still good to go.

Keep us updated, yes ?

BCOBS

:thumb:

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

asho, I have just seen your email and have asked you to resize the image and re send it to me.

BCOBS

Here you go - I am not quite sure what they are on about.

They say Quinn received your letter of the 26th February which was "confirmation" of the telephone cancellation.

When did you cancel by telephone ?

However, their letter implies that Quinn had cancelled the policy because of non payment on the 23rd February ??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44149[/ATTACH]

If you can confirm when you made the telephone call, cancelling the policy and when you stopped the direct debit. Then we can perhaps draft a response to them.

BCOBS

hi,

I.ve cancelled direct debit at january after phoned up and insisted that i want to cancel then recieved letter saying ive missed my payment and ive phoned up again at feb to see what they were on about they taking my last phone into account i think.last payment to quinn's direct was 3rd of january and i've phoned up at 7th or 8th of january to cancel it.

Ah.. right.

In which case, you might want to wait for Sailor Sam to have some input into this.

BCOBS

I have a feeling that my previous post was right.

Obviously I havn't seen the terms & conditions of paying the insurance premium off by installments but I am pretty sure that somewhere within the agreement there will be clause about early cancellation. As I said previously an insurance policy normally runs for 12 months and you purchase it as such for that period.

If you had paid the premium in full in advance and then decided to cancel, then the insurer may have refunded some payment for the un-used part of the policy. But as you have paid by installments, there is the risk to the insurer that there may be an outstanding claim which has yet to come to their attention and as such, they look upon an early cancellation of an unpaid product very differently. Unfortunately there is a growing trend of people taking out policies under an installment arrangement and then cancelling a few months down the line just to obtain a certificate cheaply.

I have re-read the entire thread and am concerned that the OP mentions the fact that "they may have a county court judgement against me". This wouldn't of just come out of the blue so I'm not sure we are getting the whole story here. Also the OP hasn't appeared to have fully confirmed whether or not the t & c's of his credit agreement (which he has entered into to purchase the 12 month policy) mentions anything about early cancellation fees. He merely states that "they didn't mention anything about this on the phone".

My view is that the OP has not fully appreciated the fact that he has purchased an insurance policy which runs for 12 months using a credit agreement. He then thinks (incorrectly) that he can cancel it at his will before the policy has been paid for without incurring a cancellation charge. I'm sorry but it dosn't work like that.

I liken it to a mobile phone contract which you enter into. If you decide to cancel before it's agreed full duration, there is normally an obligation contained within the terms to pay a significant proportion of the unexpired part of the contract.

Please Note

Edited by sailor sam
  • Haha 1

hi Sailor Sam,

I appreciate your opinion and like to point out everything you say is makes sense but i've checked my credit aggreement and it does not mention anything about early cancellation fee but thanks again and have a good day.