Spelling mistake on parking ticket...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok so first off yes I was on double yellow lines. I got home at around 11pm on Easter Sunday and knew I would leaving for work on Easter Monday (a bank holiday) at about 8.45am so I parked outside my house on double yellows overnight. (this is me justifying to you why I was on doubles, not an excuse!)

In the morning I had a fixed penalty notice from the police from 23.59 (incidentally this was also April Fools Day...thought it was a joke at first).

However, while I live on Wescott Road, they wrote Westcott Road. I know this is really petty, but I feel they have been really petty by issuing a fine for being on double yellows at midnight on Easter Sunday on a residential road in a quiet town! I didn't pay up and have recently received a Notice in the post saying I have to either pay, contend it at a Mags' Court or a variety of options that aren't relevant to me.

Can I appeal based on their spelling mistake!? If so, do I have to tick the box that says I wish to be dealt with by the court?

Many thanks.

Cheers bro. Any advice about the fact it doesn't really give me an option to appeal apart from going to Mags? I want them to drop it without having to look a Magistrate in the eye and blag this extra T business lol

Any advice about the fact it doesn't really give me an option to appeal apart from going to Mags?

With FPN's there is no appeal process. You either pay the fixed penalty or plead not guilty at the magistrates court and risk a higher fine + victim support fee, if found guilty

I want them to drop it without having to look a Magistrate in the eye

They won't and with FPN's, minor mistakes can be corrected under the 'slip rule'

They won't and with FPN's, minor mistakes can be corrected under the 'slip rule'

Ah ok, so what you're saying is...I should pay.

Yes, afraid so. The fact is, if the offence has been committed, a fixed penalty is probably the best deal that you are going to get. To take the matter further can often result in higher fine and substantially more expense, particularly if the Court imposes its right to means test you before deciding on a fine.

A means test would be beneficial to me as a student who earns peanuts doing part time work :p

But no, point taken. Thanks for your help Michael, I will stick around on the forum as it looks very useful.

What was the FPN offence? Do only the Police do parking where you live or is the Council involved?

"No waiting."

There hasn't been traffic wardens in my area for a few years now but there is a "residents parking only" scheme in place. The joke with that is that you're only allowed 2 permits per household, so I haven't even got one because both my parents have one.

To be honest, where I was parked you could park without a care in the world and the stretch would often have 5 or 6 cars on overnight, no one ever got busted for years. But I think some tosser on the street complained and one night everyone got stung, myself included. No one ever got tickets for not having a residents permit until that day either...after years of no one caring.

Quite odd

The only Wescott Road on (Streetmap anyway) is in Wokingham near Reading.

However the map states that it has the additional 'T'.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=481629&y=168661&z=110&sv=wescott+road&st=6&tl=Map+of+Wescott+Road,+Wokingham,+Berkshire,+RG40&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Yeah everyone gets it wrong, even Street Maps by the looks of things!