I am being bullied by my employer - a well-known charity

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello again Everybody,

After a long absence I have returned to the site. I have two questions. How do I make a donation please? I received advice a long time ago and could never afford a donation. Not much better now, but a bit:)

And I am being bullied at work by my line manager. She has extended my probation period under the guise of poor performance, but it's she who has prevented me from doing my job by saying no all the time. Has anyone else been bullied by a charity?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Edited by honeybee13

Whether it is bullying needs more exploration but I've no intention of replying while the employer name is in your post - a) bad form as it's an allegation not a fact and b) organisations do google, you know.

Edit and we'll revisit.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Whether it is bullying needs more exploration but I've no intention of replying while the employer name is in your post - a) bad form as it's an allegation not a fact and b) organisations do google, you know.

Edit and we'll revisit.

You work for [name edited]? I acknowledge your comments and will be guided by any member of the Site Team. Thank you for your comment.

Edited by honeybee13

Hello there.

I think the employer name should go too as we're only hearing one side of the story. We don't usually use names on the employment forum, as it doesn't affect the advice and keeps your problems confidential. We'll just call it a well-known charity. :)

I'll let the rest of the team know that I'm editing this. Please leave out the name of your employer from now on, as it will just need to be edited again.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks. OK, first of all

How long have you worked there

Tell us more about why this is bullying and not just performance management

Are you in a union?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks. OK, first of all

How long have you worked there

Tell us more about why this is bullying and not just performance management

Are you in a union?

Hello again,

Fresh start:-)

I have worked there less than a year. I put in a grievance and I am receiving help from my union. It is bullying because my manager has blocked every initiative I have made, blocked every bit of training or short visits to see how neighbouring colleagues do things the company way (sorry this is a bit vague but I'm being careful). The manager has shouted at me and berated me in crowded public places, told me to apologise to employees who have used foul language and aggressive behaviour towards me. Belittled me in emails addressed to me and other employees. Told me to work 1 or 2 hrs on some days and into the night on other days (not necessary for the business needs). The things mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg.

Bullying is apparently endemic in this charity. I looked them up on the net.

Thanks for your interest.

What was the outcome of the grievance?

OK. So not much advice to give until that has happened.

The grievance meeting took place and they have to give their verdict. But they were very anti and nasty. They have now started a disciplinary procedure against me and have suspended me. It is related to the grievance. I can't go into it yet, but all the charges are bogus. Bullying is endemic in this charity. I will wait until I am dismissed and then take some extremely public action.

I will wait until I am dismissed and then take some extremely public action.

Newspapers pretty much don;t care about that sort of stuff so it is unlikely to have any effect.

What is th ebest thing that could happen for YOU. Sod the greater good cos you won't get that and will drive yourself mad trying!

• 2 months later...

This particular charity is a very nasty piece of work. They have no respect for staff, unions or employment rights. The higher up the chain the higher the salaries, with our top boss being paid more than the Prime Minister, while the staff on the front line are on NMW and are being squeezed and made to take on more and more work. When donations come in from local supermarkets they don't get to the people who need them, but are used on office machinery and renovation projects of senior management offices.

I and a few others have now agreed to go under redundancy and this will be settled for us all in the next month or so. Our jobs are still there, but we are being replaced with volunteers, who are old fashioned scabs, breaking possible strike action. While they step in there's no point in our taking industrial action to save our jobs. And this is happening all over the UK because with less money coming in due to the recession, the top bosses won't take a cut in their wages so cuts have to come from the little people.

The balance between employers and unions has swung too far in the employers' favour. There should be a better balance, and workers should have unfair dismissal rights from day one of employment. This is something I intend to campaign for.

Edited by AvengingAngel
put paragraphs in

I think it was more venting than asking a question, but I agree with the OP. Big charities are money laundering machines and covert funding for politicians and lobbies. In this country corruption has been legalized long time ago and it won't change any soon.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Volunteers are intelligent people. A lot of them at my charity are retired people with egos left over from their business life. They are feted by charities because they don't cost anything, so the charities let them get away with all manner of things, like breaking health & safety regulations or not turning up for their shifts. They do it because they know they will get away with it. And they know they are being used to replace paid workers because there is great resentment amongst the paid workers towards volunteers, and they let their feelings be known.