style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 3 weeks ago a bailiff knocked my door to collect a council tax debt (£930) from approx 18 mnths ago (i totally forgot).

I received a letter yesterday stating that they were coming to seize goods and the police will be accompanying them.

I did not open the door to the bailiffs 3 weeks ago where he wanted to come inside to discuss the matter,

I told him no and that he was to go away,

he wouldn't go and started threatening locksmith (actually on the mobile phone with the locksmith) but he never came.

The bailiff was at my place for about an hour sitting in his car and coming back to try again, I just told him to go away again and eventually he did.

I am now waiting for him to come with police which could be anytime today, any advise please.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No not really i dont get paid until 26 of each month, im just sitting here now waiting as I have taken the day off, I did forget to say that he did phone me this morning to say he was still coming but I didnt give my number to him

If you don't do something he will turn up, come into your house and take whatever he thinks he needs to sell to cover the debt.

You have to phone him and make some kind of payment arrangement.

Have you got a car? Jewellery? A computer? A newish TV? If so, you had better hide them pretty quickly because he will take anything like that.

About 3 weeks ago a bailiff knocked my door to collect a council tax debt (£930) from approx 18 mnths ago (i totally forgot).

I received a letter yesterday stating that they were coming to seize goods and the police will be accompanying them.

I did not open the door to the bailiffs 3 weeks ago where he wanted to come inside to discuss the matter,

I told him no and that he was to go away,

he wouldn't go and started threatening locksmith (actually on the mobile phone with the locksmith) but he never came.

The bailiff was at my place for about an hour sitting in his car and coming back to try again, I just told him to go away again and eventually he did.

I am now waiting for him to come with police which could be anytime today, any advise please.

##oh dear who is the spoofing bailiff..name the company##just to be clear..

he CANNOT force entry

he CANNOT use the police to force entry.

he CANNOT use a locksmith.

all are just lies to make you pay him.

this is a council tax debt...there are NO rights of entry AT ALL.

ok when/if he turns up

ignore him

or use your mobile phone to film him

he'll soon change his tune.

no do not pay him. no do not talk to him.

right what you need to do is the following:

if you can pay you should be paying the council

direct via your internet banking site

never ever pay a bailiff.

Here is something to be getting on with. First of all establish from the Council how much was owing etc You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Next you need to send off for a breakdown of the charges the Bailiff applied. Here's an example, use and adapt at will and best sent initially by email backed up by a copy in the post.

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you don't do something he will turn up, come into your house and take whatever he thinks he needs to sell to cover the debt.

You have to phone him and make some kind of payment arrangement.

Have you got a car? Jewellery? A computer? A newish TV? If so, you had better hide them pretty quickly because he will take anything like that.

Please don’t contact bailiff

Keep the bailiff out no right of entry no nothing

The bailiff can ask all they want bailiffs lie

bailiffs will say they have a court order,distress warrant in reality it is a liability order nothing else

There will be no locksmith police no one will enter the house by force

pay council using correct reference number

If you have a car garage it away leaving it on the drive is a invitation for a levy

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong advice. A friend of mine was visited by a bailiff who said the man with him was a locksmith. She wouldn't open the door even then and he only agreed to give her time to pay because he had already gained entry to the building's communal garage and clamped her car.

I am sorry but there are quite a few questions that I would need to ask first so that a suitable reply can be given.

When the bailiff visited a few weeks ago, was a levy made upon any goods of yours?

Did the bailiff levy upon a car?

Have you checked with the council for confirmation of the precise amount of the Liability Order?

Turning back to the letter that you have received from the bailiff company. Can you check to see whether it does actually say that they WILL be attending with police?

A lot of people misread these letters ( I am not for one moment saying that you have misread it but please do check).

What most of the letters say is that a bailiff will attend the property and that they "Can remove goods even in your absence and that if necessary, they will have police in attendance".

What this REALLY means is that if the bailiff arrived and you were not at home, the bailiff may remove goods OUTSIDE of your home. For instance; a motorbike, lawn mower, caravan or other expensive items.

On the matter of police being in attendance "if necessary". What this means is that if at the time of the visit an argument (for example) broke out the bailiff could call the police to ensure that a "breach of the peace" did not occur.

Please remember that there is no legal obligation for the bailiff to enter your home and you can simply refuse to allow him entry and he can still accept a payment arrangement. However, if your car is outside....it will almost certainly be seized. Be careful.

Finally, if the bailiff insists that he can only make a payment arrangement if you allow him into the property then please note that this is NOT the case and I would suggest that you read post number 20 in the following thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?390123-Ross-and-Roberts-and-council-tax-arrears-bit-of-advice-please(3-Viewing)-nbsp

The bailiff is 30 min away as he called again I told him that would not open the door and for him not to come here, he said he's coming nothing I can do. I called the police they said its nothing to do with them, I am scared but what I have read so far in other parts of the forum is that I should not under ant circumstances open the door, I also read that should I tell him to go he would be trespassing but I don't know as the police said they didn't think so.

The council say its out of their hands, really desperate now as he could be here anytime now

Do you have a car parked outside or any garden furniture ?

Once you have got rid of him today we can help you write a letter to the council making a complaint- it isn't out of the council's hands, they instruct the bailiffs so they cancel instruction any time they like. The council employees are told to say they can't do anything now it's with the bailiffs but it's simply not true! I have helped a few people get the bailiffs called off by the council

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

If you do not allow the bailiff into your home then a payment arrangement can be made at an affordable rate. The bailiff can charge a fee of £18 for today's visit.

If the bailiff insists that a levy has to FIRST be made, then this is SERIOUS and you need to carefully read the thread that I had provided to you in my earlier post.

If & when he does arrive I would suggest speaking to him through the letter box or an upstairs window, what ever you do do NOT open the door.

There is no law that says you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff. Providing you deny him access to your home or prevent him making a levy on goods outside there is nothing he can do. He may well shout, threaten & cajole but the Bailiff is an expert only at lying or bullying.

You must stay strong & in particular take note of the advice issued to you by Tomtubby.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong advice. A friend of mine was visited by a bailiff who said the man with him was a locksmith. She wouldn't open the door even then and he only agreed to give her time to pay because he had already gained entry to the building's communal garage and clamped her car.

How's about starting a new thread over this and see if there is any mileage in getting any overpaid or unlawful fees back.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks