Kitchen nightmare

kashie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was measured up for a kitchen by Wren in January this year - after quieting a price they then sent out a surveyor who added another nearly £2000 to the price - I saw an ad on TV for rated people and asked for them to send some workmen to give quotes - I ended up going with a man who said he could get the same wren kitchen for me and do all the work for nearly £3000 cheaper than wren had quoted. He drew up an email contract outlining the work that was tobe done and asked that I pay him for the kitchen upfront so he could order it as they need 6 weeks to deliver.

I transferred the money to him and sat back and waited until the end of February when he said he would be starting the work. He told me the work would take a total of two weeks.

The work was started a week later than scheduled but the old kitchen was removed and work done on the walls and ceiling. To cut a long story short the kitchen turned up at the end of April 8 weeks late and it is incomplete - we have had excuse after excuse and it seems that the men are only sent out a maximum of twice a week to keep us quiet. Well after 9 weeks of forking out for takeaways and total stress as I can't find half the families personal possessions as they are all stored in a room that I can hardly get into - its got to a point where I can't cope anymore.

I have tried explaining to him how we are feeling and that it's unacceptable that we have to live like this - he talks his way out of it by promising he will get it sorted soon then when that deadline comes something happens and no one turns up.

As it stands now I have half a kitchen installed - all my appliances are here but not fully installed so I can't use them. I have no sink facilities as we have no worktop and the electrician came in today and channeled through the newly plastered walls -- we still owe him for the work that he has been doing here but because the job has been going on and on where do we stand about note paying for the work that he has done. He has had temporary worktops delivered today to fit until mine are delivered in two weeks time(so he says) he tells lies also. I don't particularly want temporary stuff but I have no choice as the takeaways are so expensive for a family of four.

Any advice would be welcome I don't know what to do and it's making me physically ill.

Yes the quote was for the whole job - I had to pay for the kitchen up front - then on completion pay the balance. I haven't paid anything else.

You should ask him to phone the kitchen unit suppliers from your house with you standing right next to him. Listen to the conversation and if he is getting nowhere insist on speaking to them yourself and if you say, for example, "these units were ordered on x date" and they weren't then the supplier will tell you.

Did you employ the electrician yourself because you know him, or is he part of the original builder's team?

The electrician is part of his team but the wires were supposed to have been run prior to the plastering - then when sockets etc were to e put on a different electrician came along and said original wires and cables were not correct so had to channel them out. He will have to re plaster but its going to ruin my so called new kitchen - the original plasterer made a terrible mess.

The latest with this is that I have had one worktop fitted and my gas hob so that I can cook a meal now instead of having a takeaway - I have refused however to have the other temporary worktops fitted as they are horrible and I fear if they it them that I may be lumbered with them as he will never finish the job

As the electrician is part of the builder's team it is up to the builder to pay him. They must sort it out between them; it is nothing to do with you.

You do not have to accept bad workmanship, or a ruined kitchen. They have to finish the job properly. Do not, not, not make the final payment until you are happy with everything.

I agree. Don't have the other stuff fitted.

Do insist on that call to the supplier.

Contact the rated people company, they should have a section that sorts out costomer/tradesmen disputes (other similar companies do). they may also be able to lean on the suppliers to get the remaining parts to you in a more timely manner. Sometimes the maunfacturers have supply problems when "big shed" customers demand their immediate and total attention

I've looked into the Rated people thing - apparently from what I have read they are not interested - they say they will get someone to ring you and they never do - so not even going to bother going down that route, as I can do without the added stress.