UK Passport problems- Birth Certificate names confusion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I am a 21 year old female who has never left the UK or held a UK passport. Last year in October I sent off my application, paid for it etc. and was excited at the prospect of finally leaving the country for the first time.

I included both my mother's and my own original birth certificates for proof of identity. Here's where it gets a bit confusing, so I'll try and explain as best as I can.*

*I've changed the names for privacy reasons.

They declined my application because on my birth certificate, it says Nicola Adams, but her real name is Nicola Smith, so it says Nicola Smith on her birth certificate.

The reason it says Nicola Adams on my birth certificate is because years ago, when she was with my brother's dad (different dads) whose surname was Adams, she changed her name unofficially (without deed poll) to Adams also, because at the time there was a stigma around having children out of wedlock apparently. So she took it upon herself to just change her second name to my brother's dad's second name, without any legal records of the change.

Now because she never changed it by deed poll, there are no records of her name change, and the passport authorities want proof of this name change so they know that my mother really is... My mother!

When they said they declined my application, she called them up and asked how we would go about proving this. They said that we would have to get a solicitor to get my mother to sign an oath or something of that nature, but this costs a lot of money.

Does anybody have any advice for me? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello there.

I believe swearing an oath with a solicitor or notary public costs very little.

They might want to see a paper trail because your mother's life has become quite complicated.

I think it's worth talking to someone. I know people who have done this because they have changed their name unofficially or officially and have sworn an oath to confirm things. I would say it's not something to be frightened of. :)

Edit: also called a Commissioner for Oaths, you can look in the Yellow Pages etc, then ring and ask how much it costs. They may need to see a paper trail, or at least understand how names have changed.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there.

I believe swearing an oath with a solicitor or notary public costs very little.

They might want to see a paper trail because your mother's life has become quite complicated.

I think it's worth talking to someone. I know people who have done this because they have changed their name unofficially or officially and have sworn an oath to confirm things. I would say it's not something to be frightened of. :)

Edit: also called a Commissioner for Oaths, you can look in the Yellow Pages etc, then ring and ask how much it costs. They may need to see a paper trail, or at least understand how names have changed.

My best, HB

Thank you for your quick response, Honeybee! It's great to know that swearing an oath doesn't cost as much as I thought, but I rang a few solicitors in my area and they quoted me £100-120! I suppose next time I will ring them up and tell them I've been quoted a much lower amount and maybe they will lower their quote... I shall see.

Thanks again!

Hi, I have had this exact same issue.

The way I did it was to get my passport in my birth name. For everything else including my driving license I use another name, the name I have gone by all my life but to leave the country I become Mr X (the name my mother changed unofficially when I was one) for the few hours I am in airports. It has never caused me any issues except maybe if we rent a car my missus has to get it in her name but that just means I can drink more :) Other than that nobody has ever looked twice in passport control and I've been through loads.

I had a friend who is a company director sign the photo's in the name I wanted. After I told him why he was ok with it.

You just have to remember to book flights in the correct name.

• Haha 1

Have to agree with Ash, either apply in your birth certificate name or pay for it to be changed by deed poll.

Saying that we had proof via 10 year old school records that the non birth name had been used and they changed it without charge.

YET if someone dies without the deed poll change the will use the current name ........makes sense NOT

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

When I got married a couple of years ago I did use a deed poll service to make it more official so it did not cause issues at the registry office, which it would have had I not dealt with it.

I'm now officially in the name I've been using since I was 1. Or as official as an internet deed poll service can make you, which according to the registrar isn't very official but she accepted my story thankfully and allowed us to marry.

When my passport runs out I will just renew it in the same name on my birth certificate, it's more hassle than it's worth to start a new application in a different name.