Ripped off by Dealer (mileage, description and faults). Advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought an new car 2008 ford mondeo advertised on gumtree possibly as private but bought thorugh dealer, advertised as having 94000 miles and full mot. Agreed to px old car and 3000 deposited 200 to collect next day, informed next day car would be motd in june when due just bring it down days before this car seller informed 3 months warranty on cars he sells presumed was the same for this. Inlight of expected warranty i expected he would mot it whatever needed doing for mot as sold with full mot. Informed me car had decripency in mileage had being checked believed round 107000, decided would not alter value much and had laid a deposit.

Had the car 4 weeks had problems starting car from first week put it down to being diesel (never had diesel) 3 weeks later would not start, diagnosed by mechanic as being faulty starter. Contacted seller who stated only 30 days warranty but would repair at my cost, alarm bells started ringing mechanic suggested checking previous mot's.

Discovered car had done 147,000 miles in 2011, looking through documents found suggestion it was also a self hire car not informed by dealer. Mechanic has reason to suspect dmf (dual mass flywheel) is failing causing faulty starter, i now doubt they had any intention of honouring mot to.

Contacted seller who asked to reomoensated for mileage valuation and parts that have and are failing he has stated will speak with partner nothing else as yet.

Checked valuation with we be any any car com 1100 as it ex self hire etc. where do i stand on this i went to a dealer as i thought i would get a good car free from defects and what i was informed was true. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks lee

Bought an new car 2008 ford mondeo advertised on gumtree possibly as private but bought thorugh dealer, advertised as having 94000 miles and full mot. Agreed to px old car and 3000 deposited 200 to collect next day, informed next day car would be motd in june when due just bring it down days before this car seller informed 3 months warranty on cars he sells presumed was the same for this. Inlight of expected warranty i expected he would mot it whatever needed doing for mot as sold with full mot. Informed me car had decripency in mileage had being checked believed round 107000, decided would not alter value much and had laid a deposit.

Had the car 4 weeks had problems starting car from first week put it down to being diesel (never had diesel) 3 weeks later would not start, diagnosed by mechanic as being faulty starter. Contacted seller who stated only 30 days warranty but would repair at my cost, alarm bells started ringing mechanic suggested checking previous mot's.

Discovered car had done 147,000 miles in 2011, looking through documents found suggestion it was also a self hire car not informed by dealer. Mechanic has reason to suspect dmf (dual mass flywheel) is failing causing faulty starter, i now doubt they had any intention of honouring mot to.

Contacted seller who asked to reomoensated for mileage valuation and parts that have and are failing he has stated will speak with partner nothing else as yet.

Checked valuation with we be any any car com 1100 as it ex self hire etc. where do i stand on this i went to a dealer as i thought i would get a good car free from defects and what i was informed was true. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks lee

Hi,

Sounds like you've been sold a real bad one. You certainly have grounds to reject the car under SOGA for a full refund. As its been clocked you should also involve trading standards.

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

UPDATE one of the owner rang earlier, denied ever advertising on gumtree however i advised i had a cache and print of advert with his number that he was ringing from and name stating 94000 miles on. He has offered to give money bk and car minus price of new starter, which i rejected he has said he will consider full refund and my car bk and being in touch. All advice of have received i should take no less. i would be interested in ur opinions am being unreasonable ?

UPDATE one of the owner rang earlier, denied ever advertising on gumtree however i advised i had a cache and print of advert with his number that he was ringing from and name stating 94000 miles on. He has offered to give money bk and car minus price of new starter, which i rejected he has said he will consider full refund and my car bk and being in touch. All advice of have received i should take no less. i would be interested in ur opinions am being unreasonable ?

Hi Lee,

You are not being unreasonable in any way shape of form. You have been sold a dodgy car that has done nearly 50% more miles than you were led to believe. Stick to your guns. He knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Jeremy

Managed to find the full cached version of the old advert shows private seller and their at least 10 cars all listed as private sale one as early as last night all quite low mileage. Granted some service history some dont reason suspect these are dodgy especially with the miles no service history.

have to put in writing ive being adviced siad not unreasonable to ask for compensation for mislead mileage and repair. but what is a reasonable compensation 2008 mondeo tdci 140 150,000 + miles anyone have a clue paid 4000, no mot ex self hire undisclosed.

To be honest, I'd simply try and get yourself back to the position you were in before you bought the car. Getting a full refund and your old car back (or what it was worth) is probably the best you'll get. Push it too hard the guy might just do a runner, and you'll get nothing. Just my opinion. Other may have a different view.

Jeremy

Just rang only offer they will make fix starter free of charge, stated advert was mistake only on a day have cache stating 17 days and another same month earlier. States legally fine because he stated on the receipt stating mileage was.

Might have to get some legal advice regarding this as their is to sets of complaints. Sent letter under sog act. Have noticed temprature gauge is fluctuating form middle to and quarter eratically, i havent listed this within it. I suspect could be reason i am only getting 33 miles to a gallon.

No letter received today or yesterday as owner stated regarding advice he stated he had got from trading standards. Is the owner going to do a fast one im seriously wondering.

TS have got in touch with me advised it is going to be passed to enforcement whatever that means. They have asked for all eveidence including adverts very interested the fact of private sale on advert. al evidence they now have

Ok received letter, says how disappointed they are etc. and then states car px was only worth 300 pounds and was a scenic never owned one px a picasso they ar enow selling for 1095. State they told me about mileage before deposit and i paid a 300 pound deposit. Nothing else mentioned regarding misselling etc offer to replace motor thats it as a gesture of goodwill.

Been advised by citizens advice consumer line that they have now contacted ts and i have to wait for them, i have spoken to ts and told them i had. But they insist TS must be informed before anything else is done.

I intend to name these now im fuming.

TS has told me i have to pursue this through civil action, but also advised i dont relate to their investigations. Im told they have been investigating for a extensive period collecting evidence.

What annoys me is they know what they are doing but insuspecting customers are getting ripped off, they are aware but do nothing, i know of at least 1 car that is been mis selled now.

where does this leave me?

im going through similair situation of ebay trade advertiser, brought a car being told recon engine new turbo 6 months warranty fully serviced new cambelt, within a hour problems started. found out it was just an old engine no warranty car was not fit for the road, tried sorting with dealer just bragging letter telling me go to ts i dont care they take years, threats and abruse recieved through emails.

i went to ts with all evidence they mis-advised me telling me my only option is repairs, i foolishly took there advice till trader offered me a dodgy mot as it would not pass on the only repairs they will do, when speaking to is local trading standards and telling them i have written proof of what he stated i was getting they said reject and small claims only option.

i will soon be in court again after trader failed to file against case and i was awarded judgement, he has now moved to set aside judgement based on lies to court, i will win this but i no for sure i will never recieve a penny of him, plus on top of 3000 i already lost he gets to keep rejected car to sell on again only 1 winner the rogue trader so really think before you take any action.

Thanks for that David this is why i have kept the car i am not allowing them to replace even the starter motor as they have failed to acknowledge all othe rfaults and the mileage. I am getting mot'd and repaired and i willl be going to court to try recoup the money what is and will be owed. In the mean time i am naming and shaming these people in paticular the owner who recently came out of prison for fraud. Court would and any money recovered will be a bonus really but i have gone to papers police and kicking up as much fuss as possible anything i can think of lol.

lee if you get any luck from news papers or any where else let me no, tried is local paper but nothing also rogue trader programs. love to see his faced rubbed in it. ts told me they no of him he runs up bad debt and folds business at least 3 and advertises selling for friends on trader account and is evading paying is taxes yet the just let him carry on due to cut backs and saving money forced by goverment.

i think people power is way to go, theres enough of us getting ripped off. time to start standing outside these rogue traders places letting all no what they are.

I will certainly let u know David, this is going on in every city and clearly allowed to get away with it. But i will never give up i have al lot evidence that i have found which ts have and i have if ts wont do anything then il got to mp etc until i do get somewhere. Have u tryed ur local mp?

lee i was'nt happy with my local ts so i got in touch with his local which was Warwickshire, they said its being dealt with but they can't do a thing as i brought in my area on computer. They had not been informed by my local ts on the crimimal offence and put a complaint in against them, which i did to be informed by there head the reason was no matter what the trader has done they had no intention of pursuing him and this is why evidence was with held. Im in court 22nd may after this i may consider taking to local mp but i feel the system is well against us, laws that are built has deterant to rogue traders but not enforced when rules are broken.

I was thinking i could resell the car using the same advert and description. It is clear that TS do nothing to stop it, if something comes back i can simply lie. TS can invsetigate while i rip off more unsuspecting customers who will simply be advised to either take the offer as you wont get anything else. Or pursue but wont get your money back. I think its a good idea. written to local mp via twitter

HI lee little update: the trader im pursuing as used the set aside just to allow time to remove assets from himself, he has moved is business to another address its a house address with no permit to run business and as also been selling cars using banned practices ie= it was my mates then gives a different number and name to ring for purchase of car other than is companys. i have also contacted MP now as ts are fully aware of these but still dont do a thing.