(Intentional?) wrong address on driving licence

tiredTraveller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure where this post goes, as it seems to cover a few different things which have their own forums, but here goes....

I live in a rented house (been there just over a year now) and I'm told that the ex-tenant ran off without paying rent for 6 months. Being that kind of person I've done the usual opening debt collectors and local council letters, informing them that he's not here to collect debts from, notifying the bank about the fact he's not here every time an overdraft extension letter comes though... and for the most part it's just been dealt with.

Apart from the bank - the extension letters come through each time I notify them he's not at this address and I just assumed it was incompetence on their part, or at least until yesterday. When I got in I found a letter from retail loss prevention saying that he's been caught shoplifting in the last 3 weeks and has given his old address and they've sent him the usual demand for cash. I'm reasonably sure now he's outright lying to people and running some sort of a con.

Now the only way I can think of that he's doing this is using his driving licence as 'proof of address' and is intentionally misleading people. Is there any way of reporting this to the DVLA and hopefully removing his means to keep doing this? I can't find anything on their webpages

You should not be opening others mail, it is not lawful to do so. You should mark them 'not at this address' and pop them back into the box.

Yes you can make a report to DVLA, whether they take any action is another matter.

oh okay - I was under the impression it was only illegal if you did it for personal gain, whereas protecting yourself from being repeatedly doorstepped by bailiffs (or them gaining entry from an open window) would be fair enough...