No Housing Benefit increase.

Furkin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have not had a Housing Benefit rise from Cornwall Council for 3 years. This is despite my actual rent, (private) increasing in February of each year.

At one point, when I requested a rise from the Council, they actually Decreased it. I’m assuming that it was meant to blackmail me into not asking again.

This year, they told me they are already paying the maximum allowed for someone like me (a single disabled man, on DLA, P.Credit [till next week – when State Pension kicksin],as is legislated).

Question: Is there legislation that states that there should be no housing benefit increases for 3 years or longer ?

If so,where can I find it please ?

If not, which minister is likely to read a letter from me ? George Osborne (or office) doesn’t !

many thanks for reading

Your council would seem to be acting correctly. The legislation may be odious, but the council is applying it correctly - and they most certainly are not refusing you an increase in order to annoy or blackmail you.

The amount is based on the average rents in your area for your type of property and specific needs. It's worked out by an independent valuation agency, not by the council. It's not that there's a law that specifically says "there will be no increases for three years", but if the agency finds average rents have decreased then the LHA applicable amount will also decrease.

If you wish to complain about this, your own MP would be a good place to start, but the responsible central government department is the Department for Work and Pensions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If you started to receive HB after 1 April 2008, the maximum level of HB is based upon the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate. The rates are not set by the Council. This year's rates can be found at http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/RentOfficers/lharates/april2013lha.html

However if you have been continuously in receipt of HB since prior to 1 April 2008, your maximum HB rate is based upon a Rent Officer assessment. Again these rates are not set by the Council.

Sometimes the rates go up, sometimes down, but usually they stay the same. It all depends upon the level of rents in that area.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.