home adaptation I need help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am a social housing tenant have been for the past 28 years, I need to have my bathroom adapted to a walking in shower basically I would not mind if they just remove the bath and replace it with a shower instead.

For years I have suffered with rheumatism in my joints at the moment I am in severe pains with my knees and elbows both of which I cannot put any weight on at all I am wearing knee support at the moment but not much help my knees are still very painful as I am getting older it is becoming more and more difficult for me to get in and out of the bath now I cannot use my bath at all and are using the basin for bathing which I am finding very difficult and and also it's making me feel quite degrading and upsetting!

Before I approach my local social housing people I would like to get as much advice as I can! I am on Income Support under ill health the council already few years ago had to replace my bath panel to a stronger one as I was having great difficult leaning over the bath to wash my hair so the already know I have had problems before.

I haven't been to my GP about my current circumstances because I have seen on the doctor's reception desk that doctors are not allowed to write letters to the social housing authorities about patients' needs.

Can someone please advise me the best route to take and who do I need to contact for help with the replacement of my bath any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Hello there.

My mother has been told that sometimes social services will pay towards this sort of work, if I've understood this right. It may depend where you live. Has this happened with you, PT?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I contacted Social Services direct and they arranged an assessment for me. I had to wait about 4 weeks for them to visit. They didn't ask for any medical evidence or information from my GP.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks everyone for your replies some great advices there I shall get in touch with social services in my area and keep fingers crossed I can get some help I so need a shower cubicle instead of using the bath well I can no longer use my bath no more it's so painful to get in and out and to have a bath!

:)

Hello there.

My mother has been told that sometimes social services will pay towards this sort of work, if I've understood this right. It may depend where you live. Has this happened with you, PT?

HB

With our Local Authority both NHS & Social Services work hand in hand with each other. The assessment has now been made that the bath is to be removed and a walk in shower - not wet room - is to be provided. Like everything the sticky point is costs but the County Council have a fund for this as it is Grant Aided, but as it is the start of the financial year this should not be a problem. It was also realised that her wheelchair had seen better days and a new one requested - this arrived within a fortnight. All I can say is just keep harrying them just so they know you have not forgotten.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With our Local Authority both NHS & Social Services work hand in hand with each other. The assessment has now been made that the bath is to be removed and a walk in shower - not wet room - is to be provided. Like everything the sticky point is costs but the County Council have a fund for this as it is Grant Aided, but as it is the start of the financial year this should not be a problem. It was also realised that her wheelchair had seen better days and a new one requested - this arrived within a fortnight. All I can say is just keep harrying them just so they know you have not forgotten.

My aunt got a walk in shower done during March this year, but she did not have to get a grant as the council OT recommended it and she is social housing. She initially only wanted to have a her bath moved a bit to help her getting in and out of the bath, as the bath was only 2 years old as the sink and toilet, but the OT said she was thinking of her long term needs.

The works were a complete disaster with LA workmen as they put in the wrong shower and does not work at all. She was without a toilet for 5 days, as they took it out and did not reinstall it for 5 days, it is only a small bathroom. She would not have went through it if she knew what was going to happened. Afterward she found out that the people that was sent to do the work were self employed and used to be employed by the council as direct workers. They left the council and were working as self employed through that they set up to do this kind of work for the council. It was hell as one of the men did not do any work and was always on the phone and did not turn up most days, also they were very critical of my aunt getting the work done by the council. :-x

She said that she would not have entertained them if she had any idea of what was going to happened. She wanted to keep the sink as it was right for her needs but they took it away and put one in that was not useful of her needs. The shower is not working and she is in contact with the council about it but they are on the side of the workmen. :-x