jobseekers made to carry out bogus psychometric tests

estellyn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Unemployed people are told they risk losing benefits if they fail to carry out meaningless questionnaire

Jobseekers are being made to complete bogus psychometric tests by the Department for Work and Pensions – and told that in some cases they risk losing their benefits if they do not complete the meaningless online questionnaire.

The test called My Strengths, devised by Downing Street's behavioural insights or "nudge" unit, has been exposed by bloggers as a sham with results having no relation to the answers given.

Some of the 48 statements on the DWP test include: "I never go out of my way to visit museums," and: "I have not created anything of beauty in the last year." People are asked to grade their answers from "very much like me" to "very much unlike me".

When those being tested complete the official online questionnaire, they are assigned a set of five positive "strengths" including "love of learning" and "curiosity" and "originality".

However, those taking the supposed psychological survey have found that by clicking on the same answer repeatedly, users will get the same set of personality results as those entering a completely opposite set of answers.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You couldn't make it up could you? Presumably this has been dreamt up by another Quango at Tax payer expense !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I suspect the questionnaire was set up by the same muppets that do the ones used by A4e...

Strength 1. Fairness

Treating all people fairly is one of your abiding principles. You do not let your personal feelings bias your decisions about other people. You give everyone a chance.

Strength 2. Social Intelligence

You are aware of the motives and feelings of other people. You know what to do to fit in to different social situations, and you know what to do to put others at ease.

Strength 3. Curiosity

You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

Strength 4. Originality

Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

Strength 5. Perspective

Although you may not think of yourself as wise, your friends hold this view of you. They value your advice on matters. You have a way of looking at the world that makes sense to others and to yourself.

Forty-eight questions, one per web page ffs... At least it isn't as tedious as the 107 questions by aforementioned A4numpties.

Oh, and as for the "results" above - Cobblers.

1. Fairness - You p*** me off, and I'll nail your testicles to the wall.
  2. Social Intelligence - I can spot a well oiled weasel and know when best to avoid it.
  3. Curiosity - Sure, I'll ask questions, but only to expose your ignorance.
  4. Originality - Yup. Plenty of new ways to skin a cat.
  5. Perspective - I have a wisdom grounded in years of dealing with numpties. Your point is ?

Next !

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I am sorry, but was bored so thought I would have a go...

Strength 1. Originality

Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are.

You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

Strength 2. Perspective

Although you may not think of yourself as wise, your friends hold this view of you.

They value your advice on matters.

You have a way of looking at the world that makes sense to others and to yourself.

Strength 3. Bravery

You are a courageous person who does not shrink from threat, challenge, difficulty, or pain.

You speak up for what is right even if there is opposition.

You act on your convictions.

Strength 4. Fairness

Treating all people fairly is one of your abiding principles.

You do not let your personal feelings bias your decisions about other people.

You give everyone a chance.

Strength 5. Teamwork

You excel as a member of a group.

You are a loyal and dedicated teammate, you always do your share, and you work hard for the success of your group.

It gives me such a lovely warm feeling inside, that I feel empowered now to go out and climb Mount Everest

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I had a job interview where all the candidates had to do a psychometric test; never done one before but took me about 5 seconds to realise that you don't give true answers, just the ones the employers want to hear. If a question mentioned 'team working' then I was the ultimate team worker and so on..and so on.

I got the results by post a week later, saying I was a a great team worker (I'm not - I distrust people) and was willing to go that extra mile (I'm not - and if I did I'd want paying) and that I was a good leader and motivator (I'm not - I see it all as just a job, nothing more or less).

They used a private company to do the testing, so God knows how much it cost them to read my - and others - pack of lies...and yes, I was offered the job too!

You couldn't make it up could you? Presumably this has been dreamt up by another Quango at Tax payer expense !

It looks like someone has been asking questions: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/efficacy_and_cost_of_my_strength

Based on the limited sample of respondents in this thread, the results of this test are of dubious quality (i.e. A complete waste of time/money).

I am sorry, but was bored so thought I would have a go...

It gives me such a lovely warm feeling inside, that I feel empowered now to go out and climb Mount Everest

You might want to try box hill first. lets not get too brave!

pitcher

Edited by pitcher

Awop-Bop-A-Loo-Mop-Alop-Bam-Boom. ~ Little Richard.

No doubt the DWP will try other pseudo-scientific methods to gauge our suitability for work..such as reading our palms, Phrenology (studying the bumps on a person's head) and what about good old astrology too? They're all as reliable as psychometric testing.

Imagine the conversations at the jobcentre..

'I didn't get that job I applied for because I'm a Gemini and the boss was a Libran - everyone knows that's just not compatible. Also Saturn was in ascendancy on the 28th anyway so that pretty much wrecked the interview. I didn't get the other job either as when the interviewer read my palm he thought my Line of Life was a bit on the short side so it wasn't worth hiring me long term'.

'I saw a job on UJ yesterday but when I consulted the tarot I turned up the Hanged Man card, then the Death card - so that's the reason I've put for not applying'

I was bored so I had a go too.

I didn't bother reading the questions, I just ticked 'very much unlike me' for everything.

Strength 1. Fairness

Treating all people fairly is one of your abiding principles. You do not let your personal feelings bias your decisions about other people. You give everyone a chance.

Strength 2. Curiosity

You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

Strength 3. Critical Thinking

Thinking things through and examining them from all sides are important aspects of who you are. You do not jump to conclusions, and you rely only on solid evidence to make your decisions. You are able to change your mind.

Strength 4. Originality

Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

Strength 5. Social Intelligence

You are aware of the motives and feelings of other people. You know what to do to fit in to different social situations, and you know what to do to put others at ease.

Not bad eh?...lol

.. Phrenology (studying the bumps on a person's head)

Karl Marx w as a big fan of Phrenology and look what it did for him. The Tarot? don't get me started.

I like your joke but a lot of people will have to go through this s**t and what of them? It's not fair, it's not right and some will fall (fail). what about them? Ans.... on a post card.

my best

pitcher

Well, the psychometric test I did didn't really have any 'wrong' answers - which made me wonder what the point of it all was in the first place! It's really more to find out what type of person you are. For instance, if you said you weren't a team player then it just said 'you are an independant person who can work on their own', which is also no bad thing.

The stupid thing was, I still had to have a normal interview after all this rubbish was over. I assume the company picked out the recruits who gave the answers they wanted to hear. but I'd hate to base my recruiting process on rubbish like this which can easily be manipulated and falsified.

I believe this sort of thing started in the USA - over there they probably want a report from your psychologist too, plus handwriting analysis to make sure you aren't going to go berserk in the office one day.

Well, the psychometric test I did didn't really have any 'wrong' answers - which made me wonder what the point of it all was in the first place! It's really more to find out what type of person you are.

A while back, I took advantage of a course run by the local university where I did one of these psychometric tests (a real one). When done well, they can help to identify traits or characteristics that a potential employer is looking for. As part of the recruitment process for (some) jobs, it can be worthwhile - Indeed, the results from my test were pretty accurate.

As for this "My Strengths" test, it is nothing more than another dose of snake oil or worthless publicity stunt. If I had been compelled to do this one, derision and scorn would have been heaped on the "adviser".

Hi,

anyone reading this thread now (May1, 22.20), might like to tune in to LBC radio it's also online The show is about the psychometric rubbish and so far it's been ripped to bits. You might even like to phone in and give your point of view!

pitcher

Edited by pitcher

Show is over but LBC have a podcast download. It was a good broadcast, I ask any one who is interested, find it online. It showed the WPD for what is.

Worth a ear full.

my best,

pitcher

Oh lordy.. in which case I am doomed if the Liberals get in on their own !!

Result: the class group you most closely match is:

Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

• Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
  • Went to university
  • Are comfortably off, secure and established

BCOBS

Oh lordy.. in which case I am doomed if the Liberals get in on their own !!

Result: the class group you most closely match is:

Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

• Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
  • Went to university
  • Are comfortably off, secure and established

Yeah. On that test I'm an Emergent Service Worker, which basically means I'm clever, cultured and broke. It's uncanny. biggrin.gif

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Oh dear Pooh Bear, it gets even worse.... http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/breaking-dwp-unit-used-seligmans-test-without-permission/

(Gleaned from one of the comments underneath the Guardian article).

I'd like to see how the DWP will cover up this one! Theft, breach of copyright, breaking of EU rules, using personal data unlawfully, etc

..there must be huge bulge in that carpet with everything being swept under it.

Edited by jasta11

Yeah. On that test I'm an Emergent Service Worker, which basically means I'm clever, cultured and broke. It's uncanny. biggrin.gif

I came out with the same result. Not even close, in my case. A bit of fun? yeah. Nothing to do with truth at all! I'm broke but I make no claims to being clever or cultured at all!

I have plenty of culture. Unfortunately it's growing on my walls ...

You think you got problems? I got culture under my finger nails.

Sorry to gross you out but some of us are just doomed.

my best

pitcher

Edit: Please don't even think about the toe nails!

Edited by pitcher