Do councils enforce parking wholly in a marked bay for cars larger than the bay?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am deliberately posting this question in the local authority parking sub forum as I wish to know how local authorities deal with large cars?

The standard size of a car park space in a multistorey car park is 2.4m x 4.8m however I noticed a colleague had been given a speculative invoice because he drives a Jaguar XF which has a length of 4.961m. There is no way this will fit into a car park space even if you risk damaging the vehicle by touching the wall.

If he had parked in a local authority multistorey car park would the council be able to issue a PCN for failing to park in a marked bay? and would the fact that the vehicle is 4.961m long be a reasonable defence against a real PCN?

Regards,

Banjo.

The standard size of a car park space in a multistorey car park is 2.4m x 4.8m however I noticed a colleague had been given a speculative invoice because he drives a Jaguar XF which has a length of 4.961m. There is no way this will fit into a car park space even if you risk damaging the vehicle by touching the wall.

I would wager that at a specific velocity or above, a 4.961m car could be persuaded to fit into a 4.8m space, though a broom would be required to sweep up pieces that might stray outside.

I would wager that at a specific velocity or above, a 4.961m car could be persuaded to fit into a 4.8m space, though a broom would be required to sweep up pieces that might stray outside.

Somehow, I don't think the owner would be willing to accept your wager, especially considering that its atleast a £42,000 before you start adding the optional extras. In fact, I believe this was part of his reason for leaving a fairly reasonable 15-20cm between the rear bumper and the carpark wall.

Parking bays vary in size. If a vehicle won't fit in a given bay, the motorist would have to go and park elsewhere, in a suitable bay. Otherwise, yes a PCN can be issued for not being wholly within it. There's no defence if the vehice is just too big.

Most multi story car parks have bays specifically for large vehicles.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D