Emergency Credit Gone, no money

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

A friend of mine was on the phone to me yesterday in tears, his benefit has been sanctioned, and he will not be paid any money until the 15th May. His Pre-Payment electric meter went off yesterday after he exceeded his credit and is now sitting in the dark with no heating. He has been told he cannot apply for a crisis loan as they have now gone and the council do not give money out.

He has no food, no electricity, no heating and no credit on his phone now. I live 200 miles away and cannot get to him. The DWP are adamant that he is to get no money and the Citizens Advice helpline is constantly engaged. Its cruel what they have done to him.

I have advised him to goto the CAB office first thing.

What can he do to get Electric, heating and some food. (I thought about food banks)

Any tips please.... till I can get him some money after I get my benefits on Wednesday.

Thx

Peter

Their is a hardship payment he can apply for at the job centre

The benefit adviser who raised the sanction should have told him that

I believe it is 40 % of your normal weekly benefit when sanctioned

I also believe if he is in a vulnerable category, the rate is higher

You need to confirm what i have said though as i have not done it myself

The benefit office should have referred him to the food bank as well as it only operates as a referral service

Have you considered getting him to phone the energy provider for an advance and paid back through the meter, and telling them his benefit has been sanctioned

Edited by squaddie

Their is a hardship payment he can apply for at the job centre

The benefit adviser who raised the sanction should have told him that

I believe it is 40 % of your normal weekly benefit when sanctioned

I also believe if he is in a vulnerable category, the rate is higher

You need to confirm what i have said though as i have not done it myself

The benefit office should have referred him to the food bank as well as it only operates as a referral service

Have you considered getting him to phone the energy provider for an advance and paid back through the meter, and telling them his benefit has been sanctioned

So can the electric company do something at their end and give him some credit for electricity?