style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I currently have a problem with a pay rise that i should have received a long time ago. I work in a small team but i currently earn less than the others. I have been told various things i need to achieve before i get my rise. I have hit all the targets that have been asked of me and new ones are added every time i go back. I have just recently hit the last targets and was told i won't be getting a pay rise and they can't say why.... Is this classed as being discriminative??

I have worked 10 years more in the company than others and my work is more productive. Yet i'm still being refused a pay rise to match others. I was promised on each occasion of the meetings that i'd get a rise if i hit the set targets. My boss ignores all my emails requesting my review meetings.

So overall i've worked at the company longest, work faster than others paid more in the same job (I have statistics to back everything up) Constantly being denied a pay rise i was promised and being ignored whenever i raise my issues. Is this right and is there anything i can do?

Thank you

Hi! Sorry to hear this. it is only potentially discrimination if

a) the people not getting payrises have a protected characteristic compared to those who do - gender, race, etc and;

b) you can garner reasonable evidence that this is the reason why

Does that apply here?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I'm female and most of the staff are apart from a few. Everyone in the office had a pay review and their money equaled out in each department. I was totally skipped and have become the least paid in the company but with the most technical job.

I have had various meetings with my manager and on each occasion i was set goals and promised the rise if i hit them. I hit them and new ones were set. But yesterday i took in charts of my work to prove i get through more work than others and was told i can't have the pay rise and they can't tell me why......

Others within the office have been given a rise 'pending' training. Meaning they're on more money than me and can't even do the job...

I just don't know where i stand and if this is right?

as long as its non discriminatory an employer can pay what he likes and to whom ever he likes, all I think you can do is raise a grievence but it wont make you very popular with the boss,

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

My boss isn't the most approachable and whenever i request meetings or ask questions i got ignored a lot of the time. To be promised a match in wage so many time and get turned down every time for a new reason is really knocking me down. I feel as if my boss has it in for me and is playing awkward because its me. It's very difficult to get motivated for work knowing that i'm the lowest paid yet my work brings the most money to the company. Would going above my boss and speaking to HR do more harm than good? I enjoy my work and just want to be treated fairly and evenly.

It sounds like there is a communication issue. I am not totally sure, but reading between the lines it sounds like you might have an assertiveness issue, you are getting brushed off. What you really need is a proper talk with your boss. Perhaps walk up to him, make eye contact and politely but firmly ask for a meeting to talk about your salary?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I have set up numerous meetings with my boss and i'm constantly chasing her for them. She either ignores me or says she's busy all the time. She's not the most professional and has discussed other peoples wages with me (is that even allowed) In the past couple months she has said she has has people around the office monitoring me. To make sure i get in on time and work well (even though everything has been fine) again should this be happening? I feel as if i'm being totally victimised and i can't do right. Yesterdays meeting ended saying "you can't have your pay rise and i can't tell you why" I'm concerned about raising a grievance in case it make my life even worse. My company doesn't have a union but i have been considering going to one. Although i'm still worried about things becoming worse.

What a rotten situation. This is not just about pay - your boss clearly has an issue with you and it needs to be resolved. There has been a failure of communication here, it sounds like you do not fully understand the reasons for the problem, you can't solve a problem if you don't know what it is. You are correct that raising a grievance could make your life worse, you will have to decide the best way to address this - whether it is a formal grievance or an informal meeting.

Yeah that's the problem, i actually don't think she has a reason to refuse me one, hence saying she can't say why. Times before she'd said it's this and that, and i will get my rise once i've achieved what's expected of me. Now that i have been to her with evidence of achieving what was set for me, she has nothing to say. She even acknowledged that my work was fine and i'd done what was required. Do you think going to HR privately and asking them about the situation will be of any use? Also anyone know the best union for my area of work? My company is a traffic management company and i work in the design department.

Thanks

Remember that pay rises are not just based on performance. Your employer is under no legal obligation to give you a pay rise. If your employer thinks it can get away without giving you payrise, or it just doesn't like you, then it is less likely to give you a payrise. People who are difficult to replace if they leave and people who are assertive/negotiate hard are more likely to get one.

I think it is worth escalating to HR, although ultimately your boss will become involved at some point.

No i know you're right that they can pay what they like to who they like. I'm just fed up of being 'promised' a match in wage if i prove certain things (which i have) In all honesty i was lied to from the begging when i agreed to a job role change. I was told i'd be on the same pay from the start, to which i found out several months down the line that wasn't the case. I do find it amazing how they are being because the role i do is very difficult to replace (don't mean to sound big headed!) There's only 3 of us in the whole company in the UK that can do my job. We turnover millions a month and they couldn't afford to lose 1 of us as we're so busy as it is. It's also a very niche area of work that we do and it would take a very long time to get anyone up to speed. I get the feeling because i've worked there for nearly 13 years they think they can treat me differently as they doubt i'd try to leave.

I think i'm going to go to my managers boss and ask for a confidential meeting regarding my situation. To tell him i'm not happy with all the lies, false promises and reasons i'm being given for not getting a pay match. If that fails then i have no other choice to take it to HR or a union.

Hello there.

There's also the risky strategy of resigning to call their bluff. If you feel you're being this badly treated, maybe you should consider transferring your talents elsewhere to a company that will appreciate you? I personally wouldn't resign without having a job to go to.

Is part of your current problem down to there not being much in writing, would you say?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm definitely looking into getting a new job at the moment. Although i feel so let down after all my loyalty of being there. I really love my job and get on really well with everyone i work with. I just want to be paid what i deserve and be treated fairly.

I do regret not asking for a written promise and action plan from our previous meetings as i feel that would have given me more power. Naively i trusted my manager's word and believed what i was told.

Hi

I work for a traffic management company creating scaled plans. I was wondering if anyone knew of a specific union that would be good to join as i need some support and advice.

Thanks

May i ask why you are now inquiring about joining a trade union,

Why not join before you started to need their advice and support

It is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted

My company doesn't have one and I've been happily employed there for the past 13 years. I've never felt I've needed to be in one or that my situation would arise as it has. Just not sure if there's a specific one that would be best for my area of work.

That is the problem, people assume that they are never going to need a Trade Union until it is to late. The cost of membership is only a pint of beer a week when you put it into that perspective

To be honest, if you are in trouble now, most trade unions will not help until you have been a member for at least six months as it will be seen as taking advantage.

May i ask what area of advice you require while i look for a Trade union for your profession