PayPal Dispute! Help?

powah
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick question.... I currently have no money in my bank account due to being paranoid about PayPal taking money out. If i put money in my bank account could PayPal take it out without asking me or should it be ok?

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can try if the account is linked to your Paypal account. Go into your branch ASAP and ask them to cancel any payment authority that is set up in favour of Paypal x

So if i do this then there is no way PayPal can take money out of my account? Can PayPal tell my bank im in the negative and then my bank will side with PayPal?

Your bank and Paypal are two separate institutions

- once you have cancelled any payment authority that should be it.

Paypal doesn't 'talk' to your bank.

They won't contact your bank,

if they try and take any funds,

the payment system will inform them that there is no DD and refer them to you.

They might write to you telling you your payment method has failed and you have to restore your balance by other means.

Ignore it.

You're bank is there to serve you not that shower of B's

aka Paypal x

scotgal 

You're bank and Paypal are two separate institutions - once you have cancelled any payment authority that should be it. Paypal doesn't 'talk' to your bank. They won't contact your bank, if they try and take any funds, the payment system will inform them that there is no DD and refer them to you. They might write to you telling you your payment method has failed and you have to restore your balance by other means.

Ignore it. You're bank is there to serve you not that shower of B's aka Paypal x

i went into the branch and they told me to call Barclays fraud number.

i came home called the fraud number and the lady tells me that any direct debit has been cancelled and they have blocked paypal for me.

I told her that i wanted to stop PayPal from taking anything from my account and she asked if its Direct debit or just card payments sometimes and

i told her that i do buy things using paypal sometimes but i dont want to use them again.

She told me that all she can block is the Direct Debit, which is already blocked.

But not anything else and she wasnt sure if PayPal could just dip into my account

and take my money once i deposit my cash in my account.

She told me that i could cancel the card and get a new one but that may not stop PayPal from getting money from the new card.

So not much happened with that call...

This is so annoying and frustrating.

I have been having trouble to sleep! I just want it to all go away. :(

Cancel your card and get a new one, don't use it for eBay or Paypal - they can't access your account if they don't have the card details!

eBay and Paypal might be unethical and useless but they're not the secret service magicians. How will they access your account without a DD mandate or your card details?

scotgal 

Cancel your card and get a new one, don't use it for eBay or Paypal - they can't access your account if they don't have the card details!

eBay and Paypal might be unethical and useless but they're not the secret service magicians. How will they access your account without a DD mandate or your card details?

Ok well i just called Barclays again and got my card blocked and reported as stolen. They are sending me a new one and the guy on the phone said there is no way PayPal can touch it because its all completely new numbers and stuff on the card. So i guess i can put money in my bank account and not worry eh? :p

Thanks again for your help Scotgal youve been amazing! :-D

It's been my pleasure... You were wise to get that money out of the Paypal account! Quick thinking on your part. eBay would never have refunded you. .. stick to your guns and you'll be ok x

scotgal 

It's been my pleasure... You were wise to get that money out of the Paypal account! Quick thinking on your part. eBay would never have refunded you. .. stick to your guns and you'll be ok x

Will do! I will keep updating this thread anyways so if anything else comes up ill let you know. :)

Ok once again... Just to make sure because im odd! PayPal cannot touch my bank account even though they know my sort code and account number right? I got a completely new debit card.

No.. as long as you have cancelled any payment authority in respect of Paypal, which you have done, and you said the bank have assured you that PP cant access your account. So i would say you're ok x

scotgal 

Say to them... I don't want to discuss this over the phone. Please contact me in writing . Dont ring me again! Goodbye!

Seemples

Don't worry if you think you're being rude, they're trying to fleece you for £400. You need a paper trail for evidence.

!

I'm sorry to go against the grain on this one but it's not PayPal who are trying to fleece you.

The criminal who collected the phone has already fleeced you and he has your phone.

It is theft, pure and simple.

To some extent Paypal, though I hate to suggest it, are as much victims here as the OP.

They have had to refund another entirely innocent party the cost of the phone.

They are now trying, not unreasonably, to recover that cost from the OP,

whom has unwittingly benefited from the fraud to the tune of £397.00 ish.

There are numerous warnings on Ebay about dealing in person, especially after a Paypal transaction.

Did the OP not spot any of these and the advice to conduct everything through traceable surface mail?

Additionally, if I can be so bold, what is a 21 year old living with parents doing with a brand new iPhone which they want to sell (and not use)................?

H

Edited by Hammy1962

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

You're entitled to your opinion. Paypal victims? Laughable.! They are far more able to absorb a loss than the OP, and the OP's domestic arrangements and his sale of the phone have no bearing on these posts and is no business of yours or mine

scotgal 

Ability to absorb a loss, I'm afraid, does not hold much bearing legally.

The OP has lost a phone, to a thief, he actually gave it to them.

I'm not defending Paypal/Ebay but in this instance but there are visible warnings and the loss is not really Paypal's fault. If the OP had followed the prescribed mailing method then both the seller and the buyer have adequate protection.

Just because we don't like Paypal doesn't necessarily make them guilty in this case. Or are we calling it a punishment just for being Paypal?

The OP should contact the police again with a description of the thief and not use Paypal as a pseudo criminal injuries compensation scheme.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Its of no consequence whether their ability to absorb a loss has legal bearing,

I have given the OP the advice he needs to deal with paypal.

You haven't given any advice, you're here fighting paypal's corner which you don't need to do.

Paypals customer service is appalling, I'm just glad the OP was able to keep his cash.

If you're so concerned with poor paypal and the injustice

you think the OP is levying against them,

why don't you get a description of the thief and contact the police?

You can put a halt to the pseudo criminal injuries shenanigans..

. Hip hip hooray for Hammy,

Paypals knight in shining armour ;)

Edited by scotgal68

scotgal 

But it's not his cash is it.

PayPal have already paid out a refund to an additional 3rd party whose account was compromised and defrauded by the same thief.

It matters not how much you hate Paypal, and for the record I don't think much of them, but, however you play this one it's not PayPal's fault and it's not PayPal that should be down £390.

He's been robbed............... but not by PayPal.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

While Hammy is technically right, PayPal are in the wrong on this. In my opinion if anyone should be out of pocket it’s the person who let a fraudster use and abuse their eBay/PayPal account either knowingly or not, ignorance is no excuse.

Ebay know sellers are left open to this kind of fraud but won’t do anything to stop it.

I'm not sure about this but can't they send PayPal a letter of dispute which would mean they cant pass it on to a D,C,A. or try to collect on it while it been disputed or add interest. I done this about a bill I didn't owe to a supplier and when I got a call from a collector told them it was in dispute they apologized(yes shock must have been a new girl) and they would sent it straight back to the client got that advice on here and it helped plus I proved i didn't owe the bill.

For me the person who's account was fraudulently used could be playing the system here. Who's is to say that they didn't send a family member or friend to collect the phone. They claim fraud and they get a refund and a phone. It's not been looked into properly.

It needs investigating and PayPal need to do this properly, rather than just trying to claim their costs back from the op straight away. If they investigated however and find that op was negligent (not following proper payment/selling instructions), then surely the op has to bear some or all of the blame and would be liable.

But PayPal would need to show the op the report and explain why they have found what they have found. If the first paragraph of my post is true and they can prove this, then I would say that over rides the ops liability and the 3rd party would be liable.

I guess what I am saying is PayPal need to do more legwork here and rather than just jumping into a conclusion, look at the matter and then decide after looking into the facts. Surely they have a fraud team?

Best way to deal with this if it should happen to anyone else reading this thread is to send an empty recorded delivery envelope to some other address in the same postcode. Then when signed for give paypal that number. You will win the case, buyer AKA [EDIT] will lose.

But ultimately only accept cash for collection.