Covert Recordings in an E.T. - issues of admissibilty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know you CAGGERS love info on the relevance and admissibility of covert recordings in ET's (are you all really sneaky?:roll:). So with this in mind, I thought I would share this post that landed in my inbox today.

Not my summary, all thanks for the content go to a company that is a professional information provider.

I have no doubt that google + the case name will yield even more.

Where a party to employment tribunal proceedings wishes to rely on covertly made recordings, an application for their admission into evidence will not succeed if unsupported by the recordings themselves and transcripts of them, as without that material an employment tribunal cannot adjudicate on their relevance. However such recordings will on occasion be relevant and ought to be admitted in the interests of justice. An application for their admission should be made as early as practicable, supported by transcripts of the material on which the party wishes to rely as well as the recordings of the material itself. Transcripts produced by the party itself will normally suffice. Where there is a large volume of such recorded material, a focused and selective application might be more likely to succeed. EAT: Vaughan v LB Lewisham

Regards to all.

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks.

People should assume that this applies to the use of recordings in any civil proceedings.

It also shows that covert recording and their use in court cases is absolutely legit

There is nothing stopping recordings being used in criminal proceedings.

After all, CCTV images are used all the time

If their are any problems the judge will rule on it, only its authenticity can be seen as a problem, but It must be disclosed to the other sides advocate with minimum delay

The thing to watch is, has the recording been obtained in a lawful capacity

Remember, the recording of two individual's is not unlawful, submitting it to a third party without consent is, unless their is a public interest for disclosure

Why are you asking, if it is criminal, your solicitor will submit it into evidence

Edited by squaddie

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

There is nothing stopping recordings being used in criminal proceedings.

After all, CCTV images are used all the time

If their are any problems the judge will rule on it, only its authenticity can be seen as a problem, but It must be disclosed to the other sides advocate with minimum delay

The thing to watch is, has the recording been obtained in a lawful capacity

Remember, the recording of two individual's is not unlawful, submitting it to a third party without consent is, unless their is a public interest for disclosure

Why are you asking, if it is criminal, your solicitor will submit it into evidence

I've given a witness statement to the CID regarding a repeat offender. I have recordings that prove the allegations made (for tge 2nd time) are true.

i think the other factor to bear in mind that you might actually win your case by the use of covert recording but then be dismissed any way because of a 'breakdown of trust' see aziz v trinity taxis.

I am not a lawyer, so all my advice is provided on the basis that you will check them with a trained legal professional with legal insurance.:(

The other important issue to remember is relevance. There are not many cases where the contents of a meeting are disputed and are genuinely relevant to the claim being brought. If it is not relevant the Tribunal will not want to listen to the recording or read a transcript.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS