work programe sending me on construction course

bcham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,today i did my fortnightly visit to the work program,my adviser said i need to get some new skills,to have a better chance at getting a job,i am 55 years old and not very fit (beer belly)

any way she said i need to go on this 10 weeks construction course,consists of tiling ,plastering, bricklaying ,do you think i am to old to start learning these trades ,as i have only done ware house work in the past,she said go home and think about it,and we will discuss it next time i go,

The short answer is no, no one is ever too old if they want to do something. If you have absolutley no interest in a job in construction then decline the offer, i`m sure there is a clause in the work program that states they can`t force you to do a course or training that is outside your skills & experience / job requirment .

[ hopefully someone will correct me if i`m wrong].

Do you want to give it a go? .

The short answer is no, no one is ever too old if they want to do something. If you have absolutley no interest in a job in construction then decline the offer, i`m sure there is a clause in the work program that states they can`t force you to do a course or training that is outside your skills & experience / job requirment .

[ hopefully someone will correct me if i`m wrong].

Do you want to give it a go? .

im not sure,i dont really want a job in construction at my age,most men are retiring from construction at my age not starting up.

and i have a feeling the course will be full of young people,and i will feel like the odd one out.but my adviser says it would help me getting a job as a caretaker or handy man.

You might not want a job in construction, i.e. big building sites, but you could learn some new skills like plastering and tiling for example, and then you could tie in with an independent builder on a self-employed basis, or just advertise yourself in the paper for little jobs like that. It depends really on whether you think you would be good at it or whether it leaves you completely cold.

I wouldn't worry about being older than everyone else. If you are jolly and join in with the chat you'll be fine.

im not sure,i dont really want a job in construction at my age,most men are retiring from construction at my age not starting up.

and i have a feeling the course will be full of young people,and i will feel like the odd one out.but my adviser says it would help me getting a job as a caretaker or handy man.

Well, only you can know for sure if you want to do the course. I would find out if it is compulsory , if you don`t want to attend the course you want to have your right to refuse water tight.

hi,today i did my fortnightly visit to the work program,my adviser said i need to get some new skills,to have a better chance at getting a job,i am 55 years old and not very fit (beer belly)

any way she said i need to go on this 10 weeks construction course,consists of tiling ,plastering, bricklaying ,do you think i am to old to start learning these trades ,as i have only done ware house work in the past,she said go home and think about it,and we will discuss it next time i go,

As much as I hate the Work program, that's one course I wouldn't mind going on myself.

I'm 51, and fit as a fiddle (as far as I know), and although I wouldn't particularly want to go into construction my house is in a right state and some of those skills would come in very handy. Would you get a CSCS card from it?

btw, being older than everyone else has it's advantages :-)

Construction industry in decline, housebuilding at all time low ...... Govt's new scheme to help first time buyers - in serious doubt. 10 weeks' training might prepare you for home-based DIY jobs but I shouldn't think it would prepare you in any way for the constuction industry. The first two weeks will probably revolve around H&S issues. I should imagine that there's thousands of unemployed or industry-injured construction workers claiming benefits. IMHO. Beer bellies and builders' bums - NOT a good look! :-)

But good luck in whatever you decide. I'm older than you are and think that the only way out of JCP or work programme if you haven't found a job by now is probably self-employment. As long as you can earn over £71 pw, you'll be free of JCP and the work programme.

Now I've put the world to rights, it's tea-time.

Impecunious! :-)

Once again agreeing with Imp regards to the course getting you much in way of construction work. But I wouldn't even mind learning how to do tiling etc be great for my flat lol might be good and 10 wks peace from the jc lol And if you can do some self employed work with any skills you learn then that's not bad either.

DD, I'm self-employed (working less than 16 hours a week but not earning anything yet) and I can still claim JSA.

If I increased my hours to 16+, I would no longer be eligible for JSA (which is currently £71 pw).

If I had exhausted finding a job through JCP and was forced to endure being subjected to a work programme provider, I would rather increase my self-employment hours so that I could earn the equivalent or more than JSA and sign off immediately, to escape the farce that is the work programme provider.

I believe that changes to the benefit system means that people who are self-employed will be deemed to be earning a certain amount and working a certain amount of hours, before they become eligible for WTC. I think that HMRC allows for a transition period of up to a year for this - but haven't really looked at this in any depth.

If you are on JSA and want to become self-employed, you can ask to be referred to Blue Orchid, in my area, where you will be assessed, business plan approved, mentoring and networking facilitated. If successful, you will come off JSA and will receive a New Enterprise Allowance of £65 pw for the first 12 weeks, followed by £33 pw for a further 12 week period to help you move on from JSA.

When I refer to "you" above -- I obviously don't mean you personally -- just anyone in particular! Ooohh, it's late - my brain is addled!!

There is definitely information online about NEA.

Impecunious! :-)

Well for a start a course like this will not get anyone on to site, it's not long enough to teach anything useful apart from rudimentary basics.

Tiling is not a recognised trade, it's semi skilled at best. Bricklaying and plastering are both 5 year minimum to qualify, and even then your'e at the bottom of the skills ladder in terms of experience.

These advisors really should research the courses they send people on to, as a useful course for DIY skills it's great, as a means to get a real job in construction, forget it.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

You are definitely not too old to learn new skills. I would quite enjoy doing something like that, as my attempts at trying to skim a wall at home have been disasters.

I agree that such a short course is unlikely to get you into construction on its own, but i guess it might

• help develop skills to do basic DIY tasks for yourself or friends
  • assist you get a job as a caretaker or handy man
  • give you a taste for going on to a further course

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I agree that such a short course is unlikely to get you into construction on its own, but i guess it might

• help develop skills to do basic DIY tasks for yourself or friends
  • assist you get a job as a caretaker or handy man
  • give you a taste for going on to a further course

• Qualify you to work in B&Q or similar store.

If nothing else, it gets you away from the "provider" for ten weeks, although I would check the small print...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

oh I see I thought it was full time for 10 weeks, well you wont be bored lol and learning a new skill you can use at home or to earn money.

Well for a start a course like this will not get anyone on to site, it's not long enough to teach anything useful apart from rudimentary basics.

Tiling is not a recognised trade, it's semi skilled at best. Bricklaying and plastering are both 5 year minimum to qualify, and even then your'e at the bottom of the skills ladder in terms of experience.

These advisors really should research the courses they send people on to, as a useful course for DIY skills it's great, as a means to get a real job in construction, forget it.

I was going to say, my sons friend is in his 2nd year at college in construction. He'd be pleased to hear someone gets a job after a few weeks on a course when he's gone through 2 years so far lol

The guy who tiled my bathroom a few years ago was mates with the plumber. He did a tiling course after his mate said his normal tiler was always letting him down. Now the guy does the tiling for any bathroom/kitchen work the plumber does and also gets lots of referrals from happy customers who tell their friends - he is in his fifties. He managed to make a business out of it, he wasn't rich, but earning enough that he didn't have to claim JSA or other benefits.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Tilers can earn good money, because like decorators they are 'finishing' operatives so whatever they do (if they are competent) looks good, and people will pay.

I have to laugh when outlets like B&Q are selling porcelain tiles at knock down prices and the unsuspecting DIY punter doesn't realise that the tools (diamond edged) needed to cut and fit these tiles cost a small fortune.

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

so how do they get away with it...if it quite clearly isn't going to improve a chance of work then its just as people say about the WP in general...a waste of money and time. i wonder what your MP would make of it then? not knowing anything about the construction/building trade i obviously didn't realise. if they are organising courses for the sake of it then it needs highlighting? or is this yet another area where the Govt are conveniently deaf?

it may be useful if you wanted to be self employed doing tiling and plastering...but i know sod all about whether you would learn enough to be able to do that, or earn enough from it.

A can of worms isn't it. No one is going to offer someone in their fifties an apprenticeship, and rightfully so because it would be a criminal waste of resources bearing in mind that most employers would not consider someone of that age.

I'm guessing that it's a panacea for the provider, they can go home happy in the knowledge that they have done something, and for the recipient in some cases it could be a welcome break from the every day monotony.

The harsh reality is that it's not going to get anyone into mainstream employment, and on that basis I'm out.

that was the kind of thing I was thinking of estellyn, am sure some people would use those skills for that, however if the claimant isn't looking to be self employed then as others have said I doubt whether they would get the interest of an employer from doing the 10 week course, 2 days per week....