Lawyer V Me~ Northampton claim court

Angy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Folks,

I engage a solicitor for a service and i have an outstanding payment. As at 17/06/2011, the outstanding fee is £1031.65. i have made a number of payment but the lawyer felt i can afford more than what i was paying which i cannot. This is the particulars of the claim;

1) ...Outstanding payment was £1031.65. (2) Payments by the defendant since then have been made on 15/07/11(#100), 02/12/11(#100), 23/03/12(#100), 15/06/12(#100), 06/02/13 (#40) and 22/03/13(#40). Claimant began charging interestfrom 17/06/11. (3) Attempts to resolve this without action have failed. (4) The defendant claims to only be able to pay #40 per month, but no attempts have been made by him to set up a payment agreement. (5) The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the county courts act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 17/06/2011 to 11/04/2013 on £541.65 and also interest at the same rate up to date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of #0.12

He is claiming #655.633 plus court fee of #60.

Additional info: I did sign agreement for the 8% interest but i dont understand the daily rate.

Secondly, the lawyer wrote me ealier that i am owing over 800.

Is the total claim right?

Please advice!

Hi Angy,

Using your figures I make it £551.65. So he's done himself out of a tenner :wink:

When did the Sols say you owed £800? Was this before you'd paid some off?

There are simple interest calculators online. The 8% per annum should be easy enough to calculate back to a daily rate.

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Thanks.

1) He sent me an email 2 months ago stating a figure more than £800.

2) Why do they normally calculate the interest on the £541 and date it back to 17/06/11. Remember at that time the balance is NOT that. If i need to do the calculation, i will calculate it monthly with different principal.

3) Any loopholes in the particulars of claim?

4) If the judgement is against me, was this always recored in a way that will hinder me from getting some job?

Edited by Angy
addtiional info

Thanks.

1) He sent me an email 2 months ago stating a figure more than £800. Can only assume he had his figures wrong as the ones above seem to be right (apart from the £10)

2) Why do they normally calculate the interest on the £541 and date it back to 17/06/11. Remember at that time the balance is NOT that. If i need to do the calculation, i will calculate it monthly with different principal. AFAIK he should calculate interest on the outstanding amount from the date of cause of action i.e. when you stopped paying, but only on the outstanding balance, at a rate of 8% up until the issuing of the claim. Then on a daily rate of £x.xx thereafter. Should be easy enough to check if you're OK with maths :wink:

3) Any loopholes in the particulars of claim? None that I can see. Others may view differently but looks straightforward

4) If the judgement is against me, was this always recored in a way that will hinder me from getting some job? Only jobs where a credit check is necessary

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!