Income Support and additional income/capital

Lisestar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I've been using this forum for advice throughout my benefits journey having returned to reside in the UK in December.

At present, I am receiving IB JSA jointly along with my partner. Initially, our claim was refused as I own a property in my sole name which was rented until February 2013. That was classed as a "second property" hence the refusal until we moved back into the property. We have a little girl aged 17 months. The strain of returning to the UK with no money has taken it's toll on our relationship and we are to separate.

I understand that after our separation I would require to claim Income Support which is not means tested. We have agreed that I shall stay in my property with our daughter. If possible however, I would like to move to a 2 bedroom property closer to my parents as my property only has 1 bedroom.

My query is as follows, as Income Support is not means tested, would I be able to rent out my property and receive an income from that whilst claiming Hosing Benefit for another property?

Many thanks

lisestar

Income support is means tested

Citi Cards - £800 - N1 Form logged at court

Defence entered

£279 refuned £521 outstanding on claim

Hearing 15th Nov 2006

Hearing 18th Jan 2007

Defence Stuck out - £549

March 07 Bailiffs called in to collect

20/4 Cheque for £549 - I WIN

Abbey - Setteled in full 9th Nov 2006 £3,300

Abbey - Data Protetion Act informtion

ICO complaint logged

Abbey - N1 Logged - 12/02/2007 £933

FOS Complaint logged 07/03/2007

£180 refunued -Good will Gesture 01/04/2007

Hearing 15th June 2007

Capital One Refunded £50

Egg - Data Protection Act request

Returned charges £80

My query is as follows, as Income Support is not means tested, would I be able to rent out my property and receive an income from that whilst claiming Hosing Benefit for another property?

Many thanks

lisestar

Income Support and Housing Benefit are both means tested.

So if your equity in the property you own is valued at more than £16k, you would not be entitled to either.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.