Cabot - No CCA for old cap1 card - but they say i must pay anyway?

debpayne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am about to send my dpa off to capital one but I closed the account about a year and a half ago and no longer have my account number...Will this still be ok as long as they have my name and address?

Many thanks

Deb

Yes.

You are requesting information held about you, and you are a person not a number.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Hello all and good luck to everyone with your claims.

I'm getting a bit worried as I have sent a prelim and now LBA to Cap One for my account which has been closed for about a year and ne for my husbands which is well ove limit now due to charges. (in seperate envelopes). I haven't heard anything at all, not even acknowledgement of letters! But reading through other posts Cap One seem to be responding quite quickly. Has anyone else had the silent treatment from them or is it just my deodorant??:eek:

Many thanks

Deb

I also haven't heard anything from them they sent me all of my statements within four days of me asking for them and they didn't ask me for £10.00 for them I don't owe capital one anything but they owe me £906.00

Seashell

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone, Hope I'm posting this in the correct place. Have received a letter totally out of the blue this morning from a company called Cabot saying they are taking over our debt from Capital One. Thing is this was cleared off about 5 years ago when my husbands father passed away and left us some money. It was paid and we thought that was the end of it and heard nothing from anyone since.....until this morning. As it's such a long time ago I can't find any details of the payment or actual date! Just assumed it was all over and done with cos it was paid...Please can anyone advise on what we should do? Thank you

Deb

Hi Deb

sounds like a dca on a typical fishing trip in the hope they strike lucky! I hate these people.

Do as previously advised and you can't go far wrong.

Good luck

ims

Hi deb, I'm in the same boat although my alleged debt was sold to them by Citifinancial. I've sent the prove it letter and they have responded saying they are going back to citi for more information. I settled the account with a full and final settlement in 2007 and haven't heard anything since until Cabot chased last month. Have you checked your credit files for this alleged balance?

• 1 year later...

Cannot believe it, we heard nothing for ages and then we got another letter a couple of months back, so that's over a year, asking for the money at which point I wrote back asking for proof. Today we receive a response saying that unfortunately they haven't been able to get the information from Capital One yet but they will continue to request the information. They do state that the agreement is "currently unenforceable" but they go on to remind us that we "remain liable to pay any balance outstanding under the credit agreement" and recommend we contact them at our earliest convenience to discuss repayment options. Amazing, so they want us to discuss repayments on a credit agreement that is not enforceable...really???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello,

Please could someone give me some advice.

I requested CCA from Cabot re a debt to Capital One.

They have said they have been unable to get the original CCA

and that the account with them shall remain on hold whilst they continue to request the information.

They then go onto say that I am still obliged to repay the outstanding balance

and should contact them to set up a repayment arrangement.

What should my next action be please, would really appreciate advice.

Many thanks

Deb

get your cra file

see below

that will tell you all you need to know.

NO CCA = NO PAY!

if pre mid 2007.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I am rather confused at the stance being taken when dealing with alleged unenforceable credit agreements and 2007

Any credit agreement enacted before April 2007 still has 127 (3) of the CCA 2006.

127 (3) deals with prescribed terms on the agreement

All that has happened is the last round of court cases removed 127 (3) thanks Basil and Amanda

If a debtor makes a CCA request on a creditor and the creditor fails to comply within the time frame, the account falls into dispute

While the creditor is in default of the request, the creditor cannot obtain a CCJ judgement, force a debtor to pay anything, or do a repossession

What a creditor can do is issue court proceedings, even though they will get no judgement, report the status of the account to the credit agencies, sell or get an external debt agency to try and collect on the debt

To enforce in court, the creditor would still need the original contract or signed agreement. Even if the creditor tried to rely on a reconstructed agreement to enforce, that reconstructed agreement must be an exact duplicate taken from the original or facsimile of the original

But unless an individual is skilled in the CCA , IT WILL BE UNWISE TO EVEN THINK OF GOING IN-FRONT OF A JUDGE WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

I will not go into Waksman and Carey V HSBC judgements as that will confuse even more

Edited by squaddie

Thank you but I'm still confused as I have seen conflicting advice on the boards regarding this kind of thing. Squaddie are you saying that I should pay something even though they haven;t produced a cca to prevent it going to court? Sorry it's just that I'm going back into hospital soon and I don't want hubby to have to be dealing with phone calls or letters while I'm in.

Thanks

Deb

They have failed to supply a CCA and they cannot even get a reconstituted agreement. SO now they are trying the morality aspect and saying you still have to pay. Ummm no. As dx said, no CCA = no chance of this going anywhere near a courtroom. The only thing they can do is mark your credit file ( if the original lender had marked it, otherwise they cant), or send letters or phonecalls. Both of which can easily be stopped using harassment letters.

In short, they are trying to trick you into paying. Just ignore them, but keep that letter that says they cant get a CCA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

What i am saying is they cannot enforce in court without the original agreement

Some will argue that just showing that money was paid into your account will show liability, but that does not settle contractual obligations, that is the agreement between the debtor and creditor

By reason of sections 61 and 65(1) of the Act, the agreement is unenforceable without an order of the court, and,if section 127(3) applies, may be wholly unenforceable.

If you have sent a CCA request by recorded delivery, and they have not complied within 12 working days, it will be suicide to go to court

It is up to you if you want to make payments, that's your choice, they can still ask for payment, but they will be unwise to adopt going legal

RENEGADEIMP

Beat me to it again

They dont actually need the original agreement if the agreement was taken out post april 2007. They can just come up with a reconstituted one, but most fail with this as they still need the terms and conditions of when the agreement was taken out.

Crapquest have already admitted that the CCA doesnt exist and therefore they will find it impossible to reconstitute and agreement, so they are trying the morality card to "persuade" the debtor into paying when there is no legal obligation to do so.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

May i ask where it states in the CCA 2010 that a creditor no longer needs the original or a true copy of the original agreement to enforce in court. You know me and regulations, if it is not in the CCA 1974 (as amended) it means squat

I AM TALKING OF TAKING ACTION IN THE COURT BY THE CREDITOR, NOT TO SATISFY A SECTION 77-78 REQUEST BY THE DEBTOR