Man sent to jail for none payment of CT!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a scandal

Gaol is for criminals, not paying your council tax is hardly a danger to the public.

What has happened to attachment of earnings or direct payment from a state benefit instead of gaol

Yes he has a duty to pay council tax like the rest of us, but gaol is not the answer, debtors prisons went out with dickens

have we really rescinded to an all time low now

I was going to say was it a Conservative run council,No it's Labour run, but then you can't tell any difference with the main 3 parties nowadays.... :evil:

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

This is a scandal

Gaol is for criminals, not paying your council tax is hardly a danger to the public.

What has happened to attachment of earnings or direct payment from a state benefit instead of gaol

Yes he has a duty to pay council tax like the rest of us, but gaol is not the answer, debtors prisons went out with dickens

have we really rescinded to an all time low now

Yes!!!!!! patheitic they have got, yet the xankers are free

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

We're not getting the full picture here. The only time a custodial sentence is considered is if you completely refuse to pay, which is what sounds like happened here.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

A custodial sentence is only ever considered if you stand in front of the judge and state "i will not pay". Even then the judge will try and get an AOE going but a lot of people manage to get around this.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks for the response but clarity is needed

If it has got to the stage of a justice of the peace making a decision as to send a person to gaol or not for non payment.,The local authority will already have a liability order from a previous court appearance awarded to the council.

so why is the council not using that power contained withing the liability order to sanction wages, bank account, state benefits, or even bailiffs

An individual cannot live on thin air and has to have some sort of income

How much has it cost the tax payer to send an individual to gaol and when released, still has a liability to the council tax demand

so why is the council not using that power contained withing the liability order to sanction wages, bank account, state benefits, or even bailiffs

The Council would have tried recovering the CT debt through those other powers before the case would have gotten to committal stage. As others have indicated prison is the final option when all others have failed.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I agree on what you are saying and as we do not know the facts of this case, we can only give our opinions

I just think it is abhorrent that the criminal justice system is being used as sledge hammer to send someone to Gaol over a civil matter, not criminal

That's how i see it

Does this government really want to turn the clock back 200 years with what are debtors prisons for debt

Yet people like professional footballers who are apprehended for driving while disqualified or Drink Driving while disqualified get let off with an insulting fine

That's how i see it

Does this government really want to turn the clock back 200 years with what are debtors prisons for debt

Yet people like professional footballers who are apprehended for driving while disqualified or Drink Driving while disqualified get let off with an insulting fine

Makes you wonder!

Like the MPs etc who pay a fleeting visit to Troops on active service and get a medal for it, we had to be operational for 30 days to get one in the 1960s. The government etc seem to be in a lost world of non reality.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Does this government really want to turn the clock back 200 years

Pre-industrial revolution and manufacturing, pre-welfare state, pre-social housing (apart from almshouses), pre-workers rights, and the ruling classes keeping the surfs in their place?

Surely not?!?!!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Master and Servant Act brought back into statute next if by a miracle this lot get in again.

No need to send all of our infrastructure to India or Sri Lanka, we will be on the same equivalent wage.

They have already stated they will be looking into the national minimum wage saying it is holding back growth.

Putting someone in jail for this, is a waste of taxpayers money, as it costs about £200 a day for short terms sentences. They will in there for a month at least with a minimum cost of £6k. The CT tax outstanding was less than £500 and there were other ways of enforcing.

Think this has been done, as a warning to others. Perhaps they have a number of people in the area who are just refusing to pay and frustrating enforcement.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

From my own investigations into this it does seem that magistrates up and down the country are getting rather annoyed at people who deliberately refuse to make any payment

I am talking FMOTL rubbish

and the courts are making examples as a deterrent

And so they should squaddie. Hopefully it will stamp that rubbish out of peoples heads.