Contribtuions based JSA - Worth claiming

defizr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My situation: I'm 64 and have been ill for a few months with blood pressure problems which the Doc says are now OK. The job I had was quite a physical one working 50 hours a week. I don't think I'm capable of doing it any more so I've resigned of my own free will.

I have a couple of small private pensions which will mean that if I do sign on I will only get about three quid a week JSA.

My question: is it worth signing on at all? Are there any other benefits (not money but perhaps training or other facilities) that I'd get that would be worth the hassle?

If I could get some interesting training out of it I'd be happy to sign on but if I'm going to get bureaucratic grief but nothing else I'd rather loll about in bed late every day :smile:

i would suggest looking into pension credit, it is means tested, so will depend upon your income and capital

less bureaucratic than JSA, try phoning the pension service on 0845 6060265

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I've done the 'are you entitled to this' thingy on the gov.uk website and it says I'm not entitled to pension credit. As I said in my original post I'm wondering whether being signed on gives me access to any training or other non-monetary benefits. I'm resigned to the fact that I won't be getting any cash out of the goverment. Why should I? I've only been paying tax since I was 17 :evil:

Claiming JSA would entitle you to free prescriptions, eye tests, and some dental care. Would also have expected an entitlement to reduced council tax and if applicable, housing benefit.

Forget training, that went out of the window when you left school, and much of what is on offer now is little more than a sham. Options for training are pretty much only for the under 24s or for those that can afford self funded courses.

Kick back, apply for a bus pass, and enjoy your retirement - You now qualify as a grumpy old [insert title], so live up to it and have fun :razz:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Claiming JSA would entitle you to free prescriptions, eye tests, and some dental care. Would also have expected an entitlement to reduced council tax and if applicable, housing benefit.

Income based JSA would passport onto those.

However contributions based JSA does not

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Is the small amount you have been quoted based on income? Contributions based would not need to know about any other income or saving. So if you qualify you should get the full amount. But as the other poster says, contributions does not passport you automatically onto other things such as free sight tests. The only thing that could count against you is giving up your job voluntarily.

Is the small amount you have been quoted based on income? Contributions based would not need to know about any other income or saving. So if you qualify you should get the full amount. But as the other poster says, contributions does not passport you automatically onto other things such as free sight tests. The only thing that could count against you is giving up your job voluntarily.

JSA(conts) is affected by pensions - the first £50pw of pensions is disregarded, anything above that is deducted £ for £ from JSA

examples

1. if you receive pensions of £50pw (or less), you would get full JSA(conts) of £71.70pw
  2. if you receive pensions of £75pw, JSA(conts) would be reduced by £25 to £46.70pw
  3. if you receive pensions of £100pw, JSA(conts) would be reduced by £50 to £21.70pw
  4. if you receive pensions of £121.70pw (or more), you would not receive any JSA(conts), you would only be signing on for NI credits

i would suggest looking into pension credit, it is means tested, so will depend upon your income and capital

less bureaucratic than JSA, try phoning the pension service on 0845 6060265

Less bureaucratic????? The Pension Service are the worst agency under the DWP banner. They are very dogmatic, and you can never get anybody to telephone you.

They seem to be having a purge at the moment with claims that may not be 100% complete.

They are giving 1 month to supply all evidence etc.

I am aware of one claim that was closed down because the evidence had to come from a third party. The claim was closed dead on the 31 day limit - From when they received the written claim through the post to when it was closed was 6 weeks!!

They say to make another claim.