RLP - Will refusing to pay them affect my credit rating?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm new to Consumer Action Group and found this website after searching for details regarding RLP.

I have read many threads on here and so far have found them very helpful :)

I have a question or two for anyone willing to answer them, but it's probably best that I explain why I'm in the current mess that comes with being in the scope of RLP.

A few days ago me and my partner were in Boots where I brought some comdons.

Whilst she was looking at make up, I got bored and ended up pocketing another packet of 3 condoms and some lube.

Although nervous when doing it, I left the store with my partner who was completely oblivious to my crime.

Further up the street, I was stopped by security and asked to come back into the store.

I apologised to my partner and the store, the police were called,

I was in Boots for about 5 minutes before I was handcuffed and put in the back of a police van (my parner in the front of it).

The police were actually very nice people and seemed to take kindly to the fact that me and my partner are graduates

and that we are both well-mannered and polite etc.

I was then told that we would both be interviewed after we were put in cells.

I asked if it would be the same cell, which prompted roars of laughter given what I had tried to steal,

and was told that I was bound to get "ribbed" for all of this (get it, RIBBED!? :p )

We then waited around 3 hours each in a cell before being interviewed

where I confessed to what I had done and that I was truly sorry (which I am, I will never shoplift again).

We were then told that my partner was offered a NFA (No Further Action) notice,

and I was offered an £80 penalty, which I accepted (because I believe that receiving a penalty is better than receiving a caution?

Could I have this confirmed if possible?).

I have paid the notice, and as far as I know, it is all settled as far as the law is concerned.

I received a letter from Boots telling me that I was banned from their store (which is fair enough),

it also asked for a signature but seeing as they did not send a return envelope and they have banned me, I have chosen to ignore this.

I also got a letter from RLP telling me that they were going to demand money

(this looked suspect straight away when I read that they would take into account hours security put into detaining me etc.

, it's their job and surely a part of an hourly-based salary!)

Being completely broke,

I do not wish to pay RLP (invoice speculators who recently lost in court),

and from what I have read, I am not going to.

The one question I really want clarification on is:

If RLP go to a DCA to try and get my money and I still refuse to pay, will this affect my credit rating?

As I have only just paid off a phone debt from 3 years ago in order to try a

nd sort out my credit rating a bit, and don't want to be back to square 1 again.

Thank you so much for reading, apologies for this lengthy post, and any help or suggestions whatsoever will be hugely appreciated.

Kindest regards

Journeyism

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to add that my items came to the price of around £18.50. It's stupid I know because I could have just gone to a GP! Also, my partner received a ban from Boots and an RLP letter, I have told her not to pay because she wasn't even charged, how ridiculous that they are trying to get money from her!

RLP cant affect your credit file. If they did, they would be in a whole world of trouble with various regulators. Ignore them or send them a one line letter stating " Any liability to you or any associated person or company is denied. No further correspondance will be entered into."

As you quite rightly said, RLP are getting more and more desperate as people are starting to wake up to this little scheme they have going.

THe police have already dealt with it and nothing more will ever come of it. RLP will try and claim otherwise ( wait until they get so desperate they send you a multi page letter containing a ton of laughable gibberish and they start to chastise you for getting correct advice from CAG), and get increasingly desperate. They then give up after a while and move on to something else.

One thing to note is they are known to trick various DECA's into collecting a debt that doesnt exist. Should one of these dca's contact you, please post back and we can provide a simple letter to take care of them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'll move this to the forum for RLP type problems and leave you a short term redirect from here.

I think it's highly unlikely that your credit rating will be affected and as you say, we don't recommend paying RLP. The police have dealt with this.

Please wait for the forum guys to get here, I'm sure they will run you through the reasoning.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hey guys, thank you for the swift replies :)

I am currently paying off a DCA regarding a "3" phone contract I took out three years ago. I think this is fair enough as rightly or wrongly, it's money that I legitimately owe as I signed a contract with them. I have signed nothing with RLP and I would accept a court appearence if that's what it came to (I haven't received a bill yet, but I'm pretty certain it's gonna be between 130-160). I'm still wondering though whether an RLP related DCA can affect my credit rating (as I'm almost certain, via using experian's 30 day trial, that my unpaid "3" mobile phone affected my credit rating).

I have noted that two options are recommended on here. To either send them a response denying liability and stating an end in correspondence, or to ignore them completely. I am going to attempt the later.

Thanks again guys

J

I will also tell any DCA that they are in breach of their licence in pursuing a phony fine, do you believe that's the correct thing to do?

I'm not sure I'd get involved in a discussion like that myself, but the guys will tell you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you renegadeimp, that would be extremely helpful :)

I will definitely keep this thread updated in regards to what happens and I will tell you if they eventually give up, contact a DCA, or summon me to court.

J

You are welcome. The best thing to do now is to get on with your life and ignore the silly things RLP try and say they can do.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

and I question WHY you are paying dca's for mobile debts?

p'haps start a thread in the telecoms forum

so we can get the details.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I am paying a DCA for mobile debts (although I'm now not sure if I should)

because I was being charged (I feel) extortianate bills each month (90-110 bills)

and was told it was for different reasons by different people from the customer service team.

I have 94 to pay (although did pay 100 something the month before),

and then a 100 pound early termination fee.

It ended up being 194 overall (this debt is from about 3 years ago),

because I didn't pay them, they went to a DCA to collect my money.

I have finally contacted them due to my mum pressuring me to because she doesn't want me to have a bad credit rating etc.,

and I have been told I can pay 175 and they will call it quits;

I am due to do so next Tuesday.

What do you think about this?

Also, although I believed that "3" were overcharging and taking advantage of me,

I was a foolish student and I couldn't be bothered to pursue them for it etc.,

and now I believe it's far too late to do so.

Again where do I stand regarding this?

I'd much rather not pay them but would rather get them off my back because I did have a contract with them etc., whereas

Apologies for not putting this in the telecoms forum,

I have no idea how to.

Thank you for your reply Dx,

really appreciate it.

J

I am paying a DCA for mobile debts (although I'm now not sure if I should)

because I was being charged (I feel) extortianate bills each month (90-110 bills)

and was told it was for different reasons by different people from the customer service team.

I have 94 to pay (although did pay 100 something the month before),

and then a 100 pound early termination fee.

It ended up being 194 overall (this debt is from about 3 years ago),

because I didn't pay them, they went to a DCA to collect my money.

I have finally contacted them due to my mum pressuring me to because she doesn't want me to have a bad credit rating etc.,

and I have been told I can pay 175 and they will call it quits;

I am due to do so next Tuesday.

What do you think about this?

Also, although I believed that "3" were overcharging and taking advantage of me,

I was a foolish student and I couldn't be bothered to pursue them for it etc.,

and now I believe it's far too late to do so.

Again where do I stand regarding this?

I'd much rather not pay them but would rather get them off my back because I did have a contract with them etc., whereas

Apologies for not putting this in the telecoms forum,

I have no idea how to.

Thank you for your reply Dx,

really appreciate it.

J

stay off the phone with DCA's

they ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and have NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

as for it affecting your mums CRa

its got NOTHING TO DO WITH HER

and CANNOT ever effect her.

your paid acancellation [spoof] fee

end of the issue

you owe NOTHING.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry I meant that my mum was concerned for my credit rating, not hers. I have been on the phone with them unfortunately, I checked my CRA with experian and it confirmed I had a mark against my name due to my debt with a DCA. According to them I owe 175. If it doesn't, then I won't pay them. What are your thoughts?

J

the dca's name will be against the debt as 3 have sold it

the dca have brought it

their name replaces that of the OC.

if you paid the cancellation fee

then i'd bet you owe nowt

the only thing you can do is SAR 3

sad fact it will be on your file till the defaults 6th birthday.

PAID OR NOT it will still harm you.

they are offering a discount...

that means SOMETHING IS WRONG

with the debt

find it

dx

and they

Yeah they said in the letter that they had brought the account from 3 mobile.

Unfortunately I didn't pay the early cancellation fee,

all I paid was one £94 bill,

after a few months of paying normalish-bills for a £15 a month contract.

They are apparently offering me a 10% discount,

but I have no idea how I can find out what is wrong with the debt because it was so long ago

although I did feel that 3 mobile were taking advantage of me because one person on the phone claimed it was for internet usage,

which I didn't actively use at all

(assumed it was going off in my pocket maybe, and did ask them to block my internet use)

and once that it was for calls etc.,

so I thought **** this,

I'm not gonna pay them back.

But now I just want to sort out my credit rating etc.,

My main issue is regarding RLP affecting my credit rating, if they can't do this,

then I will definitely not pay them back.

Thank you Dx,

please get back to me when pos

J

RLP CANNOT mark your cra END OF

as for the other debt

the ONLY way you'll resolve this is too get all the statements

sar 3

dx

and they

IGNORE

dx

and they

But could this DCA (not RLP as such) affect my credit rating?

Earlier in the thread,

Renegadeimp said that if a DCA is used,

that he/they will provide me with a letter I can send to them that will stop them in their tracks?

Sorry for the repetitive nature of my questions,

I just want complete closure.

I will update this thread in regards to the letters I receive for the benefit of anyone else that is interested/concerned by the actions of RLP.

J

RLP/DCA's can do NOTHING TO YOU IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM

ignore them totally

there is no need to enter into ANY letter tennis

you need to READ this forum

dx

and they

wrong supposed ethics...

a DCA is a company that sends out threat-o-grams on the chance that they can fleece people

and gain PROFIT on a SUPPOSED debt......[how they make their money.

IF NO 'DEBT' exists...WHAt debt can they mark...nothing

RLP speculative invoices ARE NOT A DEBT.

dx

and they

Thank you Dx, this has cleared things up for me I think. I will pay the 3 mobile affiliated DCA because that was an actual debt, but I will not pay any RLP affiliated DCA because RLP only posit speculative invoices.

One more question though, IF a bad mark goes on my credit rating due to a RLP affiliated DCA, what should I do?

J