• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SANTANDER car loan issues- being nasty - now sold to bluestone/close credit management?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It is a fixed term laon agreement that I took out in June 2010 for the purchase of a car.

It was a fixed term loan for 15k with 5k charges added and was for 60 months at 350pm.

Paid every month up until Jan this year.

Sent them an I & E asking to write off ...said no.

I have had numerous letters off them adding charges at £25 a time

and I wrote to them again on on 5th MArch offering a reduced payment of £200pm.

No response so

wrote again on 3rd April enclosing copies of all previous letters.

Then had an income and exp form back with a rather sloppy written comp slip

once again sent the I & E I had sent before which is the national debtline one.

Has a letter back dated 11th Apr asking me to ring them.

Now I know you are all gonna say I should never ring but thought it would be easier ...what a mistake!

The guy on the phone said the following:-

I should sell my car and then keep say 2k of the money to buy another and pay the rest off the loan?

I replied not an option as one I need the car for work etc and also I would not get much for it

and would be like giving it away and then I'd still owe most of the loan anyway.

They could put a charge on my house.

I replied no equity.

He then threatened that they would take me to court and I pointed out that I felt an offer of £200 was a fair one in consideration

of my circumstances and that I'm sure a judge would too!

he asked for a landline and I replied I wanted all correspondance to be in writing

..he said they needed a number to get in touch and I said get in touch by post.

then went to say that I would be fined over £100 if they couldn't get in touch!

I replied that he should put a note on my account that all corresspondance will be answered promtly in WRITING!

I also asked about the charges being added and he replied that as

they are not willing to accept my offer charges will still be added!!!

Has anyone had any dealing with these ...

they are being really unfair in my opinion

..not sure whcih way to go with this please help x

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one can fine you without it going to court, only courts impose fines, not stinking low down Banksters. "Sun Tan-Derrrrr" are going bankrupt and are desperate, take the rudeness of their staff as just desperation. Stand firm, call the shots or tell them if you don't agree you get NOTHING - Nada - Ought!

Ask the young man if he wants to buy some Bit Coins or some Gold from a One Eyed Scottish person from some years ago. Or tell him to 'calm down dear' and Foxtrot Oscar

The Banksta Buster.

:-x :-x

Santander are clowns at the best of times and appalling to deal with if you have a problem.

As you are not disputing the debt, you could continue to pay them at the rate you can comfortably afford. You should also make a formal written complaint setting out the sequence of events.

Your worst case scenario is that they issue a default notice and then make a county court claim. You should be prepared for them to do this but it will probably take them a while.

silly beggars

your say there are PENALTY charges

and any PPI/GAP/ etc?

get reclaiming

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Had another letter from them at the weekend just saying "unfortunately we are unable to accept your payment proposal".

Not sure where this leaves me ... should I set up a standing order for the £200 starting on 1st May anyway and then at least if it went to court then they would see that I have tried to pay the debt etc.

If you do that, I can't see many Judges not siding with you, I don't think Sun Tan Derrr would even try to take it to court if you we're paying that amount regular. They might whine and whinge but tough!

The Banksta Buster.

:-x :-x

yes just do it

now

how about reclaiming!!

got all the statements?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I will set up the SO today and write to them yet again telling that I have done so....will also enclose a claim as there's only a few missed payment charges gone on for £25 each...three I think. On what grounds do I reclaim these? I also want to make sure they stop adding any more!

This second spreadsheet is a compound interest calculator and can be used both for PPI claims and Charges Reclaims on Revolving Credit Accounts such as credit cards. Compound interest is not an award that foslink3.gif will give in respect of PPI claims but it can be used in PPI cases that are pursued through the courts. It is the standard sheet that is also used for charges reclaims both on credit cards and loan accounts where interest in restitutionlink3.gif is claimed.

CISheet v101.xls

use their int rate in cell d15

they are a PENALTY and not a true reflection of their actual admin costs.

when I negotiate repayment level on debts I use this method:

TELL [dont ask] them they are only going to get £xxPCM for xx mts

as a goodwill gesture

and as a reciprocal GOGW they must freeze int & refrain from levying PENALTY charges.

if they wont

drop them to £1PCM for life.

as an example>

I am currently in financial difficulties and not able to meet my normal monthly repayments.

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £5 for 6 mts.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation change.

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture,

refrain from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.?

Should you fail to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, contrary to all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions would do nothing to help me.

i thank you for your time.

dx

then pay by your internet banking site

and get reclaiming

TAKE CONTROL

or

if you have sent the above and they refuse

then write back........

i'm sorry, but you have failed to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, against all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i repeat again, the contents of my letter dated dd/mm/yyyy, for want of clarification:

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £XX for XX mts

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture, refraining from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation chance.

should you fail to help by refraining from levying unlawful PENALTY charges & freeze my interest,

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions are doing nothing to help me.

This is contrary to the rules you should operate under.

disgruntled account holder

now

have you the agreement?

as its a car loan

not been charged all manner of supposed 'compulsory' insurances have you

like GAP/PPI etc etc have you?

dx

and they

Great letters, yes have the agreement and no GAP etc as it was given as a fixed sum personal loan although I did use it to buy my car. The only charges I need to claim are the £25 ones and will send off your second letter today with a bit of tweaking.

Thx a million dx

Now your mentioning that GAP insurance it has brought back that I did yake that on another car a biught a few years back now...I would of been at the council working and so covered with full sick pay etc...mmmm might have to dig out the paperwork!!!!!

GAP has nothing sadly to do with the fact of your works sick pay etc...

sometimes gap is missold, esp if the car is not listed on the agreement

i'e its a personal loan not HP.

typically GAP cannot be levied on pers loans if it is not secured on the car.

however a sep issue for a sep thread

dx

and they

Well sent letter yesterday but have just got another nasty one from them saying that dispute their prev letters I have failed to pay the arrears and so they have terminated the agreement and in bold caps they say if this is not paid immediately we will take legal proceedings against you.

I set up the so for £200 pm and put this in the letter not sure what happens now.

Right this one has me really worried as they just don't seem to be listening to me and I think they may have defaulted it. This is a list of correspondance since Jan:-

Loan taken out Jun 2010 fixed sum total payable £21072 (346 x 60)

Paid like clockwork until Jan this year balance then is £10,339

14 Feb sent letter with I & E explaining situation and asking them to write off (well was worth a shot!)

20 Feb Letter rec with DD instruction stating that DD had been cancelled

25 Feb Letter from them thnaking me for I & E but they are not able to accept my payment proposal

27 Feb Notice of Default sum received from them as DD didn't go through and £25 charge applied

5 Mar wrote to them again asking them to write it off

9 Mar Notice of overdue amount received

19 Mar Notice of sums in arrears Received

23 Mar Notice of default sum received and £25 charge applied

3 Apr I wrote to them signed for stating that I hadn't received a response in connection with my financial situation. Offering them £200 per month reduced payment

Dated 26 Mar but recieved 8th Apr a Default Notice saying unless I paid the arrears by 14th Apr further action will be taken

8th April Receieved a compliment slip asking to complete the attached Santander Income form

9th Apr Wrote to them saying that I ocne again attach an I & E form as sent previously and offering £200 pm

11th Apr letter from them saying can't accept my reduced payment

15th Apr this is when I rung them and they said that I should sell my car, they would put charge on house, they need landline or I would be fined £100 if they couldn't get in touch etc etc. Please see post above.

16 Apri wrote to them complaining about the bullying tactics of the staff, that I feel my offer is fair and that I felt a judge would also think this.

17 Apr another letter sayig same that they ca't accept my reduced payment

22 Apr I wrote again saying I had set up a SP from 10th May 2013 as I felt I need to make some payements

Now yesterday got a letter dated 17 Apr saying that they had terminated my agreement and the bal was payable in full. ie

"Despite our previous letters, including a Default Notice, you have failed to pay the arrears due under the agreement. Therefore we have today terminated your agreement and the unpaid balance, as shown above is now due.

IF THIS IS NOT PAID IMMEDIATLEY WE WILL TAKE LEGAL PROCEEDINGS AGAINST YOU. YOU MAY HAVE TO PAY THE COSTS.

and then goes on to say how I can pay etc.

Now I just don't know what to do next....the SO is in place and so first payment will go to them on 10th May but my hubby said if they have terminated the agreement how do we know where the money will go etc.

Also they terminated it and the rebate fee of £1022.26 was not deducted but I assume this is correct?

Please cna someone help as I really don't want to ring them again and not sure what to put ina letter etc. x

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Yes, it sounds as if they will have defaulted you and this will be shown on your credit file for the next six years. A reasonable organisation would have entered into a negotiation with you about your repayment proposals but Santander are aholes. If it's any comfort they're aholes with just about everyone.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do at the moment because, at the end of the day, you took out a loan and you can't meet the repayment terms. They're within their rights to default you and could now take the matter to court or farm it out/ sell it to a debt collection agency.

You have a number of options:

1) Raise the cash/ sell the car to pay off the debt. I appreciate that you may not be able or want to do this but, if you don't, Santander or their agents will continue to hassle you.

2) Make a formal complaint about the way in which they have dealt with you. I think this is worth doing anyway because if your I&E shows that £200 is the most that you can afford, they are being unreasonable. I'm not sure that you have a basis for a complaint to the Ombudsman at some point (others may be able to advise) but it's worth getting a written response to a complaint in case this matter goes to court.

3) Do nothing. I don't know how Santander generally deal with these sorts of debts. They could take the matter to court themselves or farm it out to a debt collector. The latter would be likely to delay any court action for a while but will result in a great deal of hassle if the dca is able to get hold of your telephone number.

If the matter does go to courtk, it could go a couple of ways. Santander could get a forthwith judgement which means that you would have to raise the cash somehow (i.e. sell the car). You would have a reasonable defence against this if you could demonstrate that you need a car of this quality for work or other reasons. A judgement to pay by instalments would be the best outcome and the court would only order you to pay what you could reasonably afford. If your I&E is reasonable then that would probably be £200 per month.

Yes I kow they have most probably defaulted me and to be honest thats not my main worry as the way I feel at the moment I don;t want credit ever again!

How can they make me sell the car as it is not a HP agreement ....should I transfer it over to my husbands name. I just know that I would get next to othing for it as it has a few dents etc made by me since I got it and even though the engine is good as I have maintained it it is high milage as it was when I got it so it really would be throwing money I haven't got down the drain to sell it and I could not manage at all without a car.

Do you think I should leave the standing order in place ready for the 10th May?

Did they send you a Default notice ?

If this was a personal loan then they MUST follow procedure and cant simply terminate without issuing a compliant default notice first.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Get reclaiming the charges they have applied to the account and has it been established that the insurance was incorrectly sold ? If so, then you should make a reclaim for that as well. That should help reduce the outstanding balance somewhat.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yes they have issued a default notice on 26 March and I can't see any insurance on the agreement just the credit charges added at the begining. What I can't get my head round is how they think they can make me sell my car? I have offered what I feel is a fair offer as there's no money for any other creditors but they just refuse my offer. Should I transfer the car into my husbands name do you think?

Sorry, just to be clear, they can't make you sell the car and neither could the court. However, a judgement requiring full payment of an outstanding loan balance could put someone in a position where they could only do this by selling assets which might include a car.

As dx has said, get reclaiming and I think you should be making a formal complaint that they have been unreasonable.

My view is that you should make the £200 payments as it shows that you are serious about the offer. Your husband has a point about how the funds will be treated and given how chaotic Santander can be, you may well have problems with getting them to allocate the payment to the loan. However, you shouldn't have any difficulty in proving that you have made the payments if the matter goes to court.

no cancel it

they CANNOT force the sale or take the car - end of

can you scan up the agreement please?

set your default scan page size to A4 less than 300DPI [150 will do]

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture[jpg] file

don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

'

BUT......

ENSURE: remove all pers info inc. barcodes etc using paint program

but leave all monetary figures and dates.

{DO NOT USE A BIRO OR PEN OR USE SEE THRU TAPE OR LABELS]

try www.pdfescape.com TO BLANK STUFF,

or

DO IT IN MSPAINT.EXE or any photo editing program

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites ...

http://freejpgtopdf.com/

if you have multiple scans/pics

put them in a word doc FIRST and convert that to PDF

or use www.pdfmerge.com

convert existing PC files to PDF [office has an installable print to PDF option]

it would be better to upload a multipage pdf if

you have many images too rather than many single pdfs

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

or use word and save as pdf

try and logically name your file so people know what it is.

though dont use full bank names or CAG in the title

i'e Default notice dd-mm-yyyy TSB

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

dx

and they

good not secure on the car they cant touch it

dx

and they

if the account is closed it might not get through.

why not give them a quick ring

and see if you can pay by phone

or ask if they will accept payment still.

say by YOUR internet banking transfer

record it if you can

dx

and they

Just rung them and the lady was much nicer !!!

She said yes payments would go to the account but they will still continue further action etc.

I said well theres no more I can do I ahve written loads of times etc etc.

She said again that as I have the car they would expect me to sell it and then come to an arrangement re the balance.

I said this would not be cost effectve as I wouldn't get much for it and need it for work.

She also said that they may sell it on I said well there,s nothing more I can do etc.

Will just have to see what happens.