style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I wonder if you could please give me some advice.

My son is currently renting a property in Portsmouth as he is studying at the university there. He has been signed off of his course due to a stress related illness and has a doctors certificate to cover this. He is now living at home with myself (his father) and his mother in Clacton as he cannot cope being on his own in Portsmouth. The problem that is he is still liable for the £350 monthly rental payment for the property in Portsmouth even though he is not physically living there.

As he has been diagnosed with this illness could he make a claim for housing benefit to help with his rent payments.

If he his eligible can you please let me know what are the next steps to take.

Regards

Kim

If its a typical student let for 12 months I'm afraid he is still liable, and at this time of year is unlikely to find someone to take his place. I can't see him being eligible for HB. I assume he's had his student loan which is meant to cover the cost of accommodation.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.